The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware controller for CC11 'expression' ? Control Surfaces
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hardware controller for CC11 'expression' ?

I'm looking for something like the Presonus Faderport or the Alphatrack with a big fader or controller that I can add to my standard 88 note keyboard and it's mod and pitch wheels so I can control CC11 aswell as CC1 and pitch without having to screw around with environment transforms etc.

Does anyone have a good solution or know if either the faderport or the Alpphatrack can be setup to do this ? Not had much luck with the goggling this to get a straight answer.

Any options other than the Korg Nano control ? ( I think the fader throw may be a bit to short on these to be useable )
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Doesn't your keyboard controller have an expression pedal port? Kontakt (and many other VSTi's) can assign the MIDI data from an expression pedal to any CC value. Some Kontakt libraries don't even work without receiving CC values for dynamics (like The Trumpet, The Sax Brothers, The Trombone etc.) A breath controller can also be used for the same purpose.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Hardware controller for CC11 'expression' ?

Hi Beermaster

I took the opportunity to check all this out ... given how useful fader feedback on pitch bend and expression could be.

looks to me like the support on faderport isn't that trustworthy any longer. shame, because mechanically the motor was faster.
I never really decided which one to get and now i'm still not fully sure.

I think both these products use a logic control surface bundle. you can see those by selecting the logic app (right click - show package contents). I think these will probably put a new bundle in Logic when they install.. if they don't already have it in later versions. I'm stuck on V7.XX for the time being.

The Alphatrack documentation seem to call this mode (native). but in ny case, the way these kinds of things control Logic are pre designed using those control surface bundles usually. I've always wondered if you can adapt and save your own bundles, but I never tried. maybe if you can adapt some functionality in there and save it with a logic song that could be ok. with a little noodling around you could potentially dedicate a button or two to make the fader take control of that on the fly generic assign Logic has. where you can have say, an external mod wheel, controlling some parameter of an instrument or maybe a midi instrument.

but this is fiddly and most people don't want to mess with any of it. which I can understand. There's a lot to be said for the straight ahead approach. But! it might be possible. If it did actually work and you could find a way to get pitch bend feedback on a flying fader and successfully modify it on the fly in automation, that could be really something. but I've heard Logics automation updating/overwriting is a little poor. in any case from my pov it's still hypothetical if you can or not.

The BEHRINGER FCB1010 looks like it might be able to do some useful things but it has no ability to send pitch bend. 128 values for pitchbend aren't much use anyhow. you really need 14bit not 7bit. 10bit would be acceptable.

another option might be a peavey 1600. I like midi hardware solutions in any case. They don't tend to become redundant.

if you Google
YAMAHA MFC10 pitch bend
you can see that some are saying this unit does pitch bend. be interesting to find what the bit depth resolution of the pitchbend expression pedal system is on these. and the Expression pedal input too. because if these can really generate 14bit pitchbend data they might be able to generate other kinds of data at those resolutions. you might be able to hook up a standard fader to the expression pedal inputs in that case.

it also looks like it has 5 expression pedal inputs too. which is handy because you could potentially record all those changes as a performance in a sequencer or DAW. that isn't easy to do by just having pedals plugged into a number of hardware synths expression pedal inputs. They often don't output those controller values in any case.

so as a standalone no nonsense hardware midi solution I think this yamaha is possibly one of the better solutions. It also has an input for a yamaha wind controller too.. so that's a plus. anyhow I think this one is on my list.
Old 23rd May 2013
Deleted User #106149
bumping this, please help can't find out how to do this anywhere :(

Equipt with a

casio px550 (no mod wheel), a Faderport, Cubase 7 and a copy of LA Scoring Strings.

Can you not just get round the lack of a mod wheel on the Privia and control Mod and Expression via the faderport instead?

So really i just want to play the privia in the right hand and control its expression and mod with the faderport in the left hand?

Anyone with one care to explain how to do it in Cubase 7 ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search