The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI tetra , safe to buy ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

DSI tetra , safe to buy ?

Hi,
I am thinking seriously about the DSI Tetra (i might buy one today ).
I want to use it with the editor in mutitimbral mode so i can use 4 different sounds sequenced by the Octatrack.

BUT , is the Tetra usable in multi mode with the editor ?
I've heard about lots of bugs when using the editor in multi-combo mode.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
lol, no.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Seriously ?
I mean is it that bad ?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
Seriously ?
I mean is it that bad ?
He was teasing you.

it's a fantastic synth and a HUGE bang for the buck. Actually, I dumped my Prophet '08 for the Tetra, if that tells you anything.

-andrews
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's safe... Assuming dsi worked out that whole spontaneous combustion issue.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great !
Thanks for the info.

I will get mine this week.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

BTW i was asking because of this thread :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-editor-2.html
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
He was teasing you.

it's a fantastic synth and a HUGE bang for the buck. Actually, I dumped my Prophet '08 for the Tetra, if that tells you anything.

-andrews
sold my tetra

got a prophet 08

never looked back!
Old 12th September 2011
I really want to see the list of the actual serious bugs of the Tetra listed out by somebody ... would be really nice
Old 13th September 2011
What sucks about both the mopho and the tetra is you cannot use the editors to tweak sounds while your daw is sequencing them.

It makes me mad there is no vst version of the editor.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
What sucks about both the mopho and the tetra is you cannot use the editors to tweak sounds while your daw is sequencing them.

It makes me mad there is no vst version of the editor.
I can in logic :S what happens when you try to tweak while your DAW is sending it MIDI?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I use the editor while Ableton is open from time to time. I don't use the editor generally, but I have not problems running it at the same time. The editor can communicate with the Tetra via USB while your DAW communicates to it over midi cables.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
sold my tetra

got a prophet 08

never looked back!
So, you don't miss that extra sub osc? That was almost THE reason I switched!

Either way, cool synths

-andrews
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

i use split mode on almost every patch I make to make 1 big 4 osc patch , you can get 99% of the tetra sound this way , minus the feedback.

if the tetra had a few more knobs , it would be perfect . the UI is just horrible though .
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
So, you don't miss that extra sub osc? That was almost THE reason I switched!

Either way, cool synths

-andrews
Well the reason I chose the Tetra over the P08 is actually the programmable feedback which fattens the sounds quite a bit if used correctly. Just a touch of feedback gives every patch a nice, vintagey feel.

Oh! And the 4-part multitimbrality although I haven't fully explored it yet...The newest version of the editor is much improved I think and I use it along with Cubase all the time with no problems so far on Windows XP SP3.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I sold mine before the summer. At that moment (may) the machine was full of bugs in multi mode. Most of the people ignored that because they didn't use the tetra in multi mode.

5 months have passed, and maybe there is no more issues and a new firmw. (I don't know), but before you buy it, contact someone who has specifically worked intensively with the multi mode.

check in the dsi forum, there was a post with a user who posted lots of bugs in multi mode (I cannot longer see the forum, I'm not registered)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok i bought the Tetra.

Multimode does not work at all with the editor
Also when using the editor with logic , alots of stuck notes , bugs etc.
The editor is crap i'm sorry... but.. but.. the Tetra sounds good , very good.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok i bought the Tetra.

Multimode does not work at all with the editor
Also when using the editor with logic , alots of stuck notes , bugs etc.
The editor is crap i'm sorry... but.. but.. the Tetra sounds good , very good.
Don't forget to connect the TETR4 via MIDI! I had the same bugs while i was using the USBport.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corris View Post
Don't forget to connect the TETR4 via MIDI! I had the same bugs while i was using the USBport.
I was using the Tetra in usb mode.
I will try midi tonight , will report back .. thanks .
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Whenever I try to use multimode it says 'multimode doesn't work with current OS'. What does that mean?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corris View Post
This.

And... Make sure you are not trying to send midi from the DAW and from the editor at the same time.

You need to send from the DAW to the Editor (via Tetra virtual port), and then only the editor transmits to the Tetra (both the DAW & editor signals).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm confused -- the Tetra has a buggy multimode even without the software editor connected?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I'm confused -- the Tetra has a buggy multimode even without the software editor connected?
from why i've tried you can't edit multi mode without the software.. I might be wrong though
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPuzo View Post
I sold mine before the summer. At that moment (may) the machine was full of bugs in multi mode. Most of the people ignored that because they didn't use the tetra in multi mode.

5 months have passed, and maybe there is no more issues and a new firmw. (I don't know), but before you buy it, contact someone who has specifically worked intensively with the multi mode.

check in the dsi forum, there was a post with a user who posted lots of bugs in multi mode (I cannot longer see the forum, I'm not registered)
I had the same experience, except I had the tetra about two months after its release.

I wasn't being funny when I suggested to not buy the tetra. The editor is an integral part of working in multi/combo mode, and it does not function as it should. There are more than a few known bugs, just go read the dsi forums.

Editing things in the mopho was tolerable, but the tetra is a totally different beast.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well after owning the Tetra for a fews months i can say i am absolutely disappointed.
Worst interface ever , worst editor ever imo.

If you want to use this synth in multitimbral mode its almost useless.

1- You cant save a patch when you are in multimode so you have to go back to program mode, edit the patch , save it , go back to multimode , reselect the patch.

2- Cant change bank in multimode on the tetra. It is working if you send midi cc 32 but using the panel from the Tetra nop. Why it is possible to change programs but not banks on the Tetra itself ?

3- The editor is useless in multimode , in fact multi is not supported at all on the editor so editing as to be in program mode. Also if you want to change patch for the different midi Chanel you cant do it with the editor , you have to use a controller because on the Tetra itself you are not going to be able to change bank number.

If you are not using this synth in multimode it is fine, it is a very nice poly analog that sounds really good for the money.

Its going for sale if anyone is interested .

Thanks.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Which for bass? SE SE-1 vs ATC-1

Last edited by lampmeister; 29th January 2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Posted in wrong place....D'Oh!
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I've given up on trying to use it in multi-mode, don't buy it for that reason.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well after owning the Tetra for a fews months i can say i am absolutely disappointed.
Worst interface ever , worst editor ever imo.

If you want to use this synth in multitimbral mode its almost useless.

1- You cant save a patch when you are in multimode so you have to go back to program mode, edit the patch , save it , go back to multimode , reselect the patch.

2- Cant change bank in multimode on the tetra. It is working if you send midi cc 32 but using the panel from the Tetra nop. Why it is possible to change programs but not banks on the Tetra itself ?

3- The editor is useless in multimode , in fact multi is not supported at all on the editor so editing as to be in program mode. Also if you want to change patch for the different midi Chanel you cant do it with the editor , you have to use a controller because on the Tetra itself you are not going to be able to change bank number.

If you are not using this synth in multimode it is fine, it is a very nice poly analog that sounds really good for the money.

Its going for sale if anyone is interested .

Thanks.
If it's going for sale I wonder which poly analog you'll find that even has multimode...my multitimbral needs seem to be less than yours because I can do what I want with it easily...
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

I just use it as a 4-voice poly analogue synth and I love it.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Of course it is not all bad.
Like i said earlier, its great as a polysynth but multimode doesn't work for me .
I bought this synth thinking i could use it with my Octatrack in multi mode but no luck.

I know it is my fault, i should have tested it properly before purchase ... ho well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search