The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI tetra , safe to buy ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th March 2016
Here for the gear

Bringing this thread back from the dead because i was planning on buying one today for exactly this plan of using it with the octatrack. Specifically multimode, 4 individual voices sequenced by 4 midi channels on OT. Was going to use the editor only build and /or modify exiting patches and set up 1 multi per song.....and then i saw this. Anybody get this to work?
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpich View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead because i was planning on buying one today for exactly this plan of using it with the octatrack. Specifically multimode, 4 individual voices sequenced by 4 midi channels on OT. Was going to use the editor only build and /or modify exiting patches and set up 1 multi per song.....and then i saw this. Anybody get this to work?
I've heard nothing but bad experiences with people trying to use the Tetra in multimode. Great synth though.

Why not get an Analog Four? PM me. I'm selling mine to fund a Prophet 6.
Old 17th March 2016
Lives for gear

For anyone interested, ProAudioStar is blowing out the Tetra for $449 new.

I can confirm that they are brand new, boxed units as I was there this morning.
They had 98 in stock. (Well, 97 now.)

Old 17th March 2016
Here for the gear

Great news on the price, had seen a few used ones at that price. At that price point it might be a who cares about multi deal and just use it as a great sounding analog poly that's the size of a delay pedal.
Old 17th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Why not get an Analog Four? PM me. I'm selling mine to fund a Prophet 6.
Told ya
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Told ya
Heh. I already know I'm going to miss a lot about the Analog Four. It's dual filter architecture lets me do some really fun stuff and the inclusion of the osc synced LFO functionality is almost like having a 3rd oscillator. Plus, three LFOs, three EGs... audio in... The only downfall is that I did keep running into times where I wished I had an extra voice... or two. I never ran it as 4 monosynths and I never used it's sequencer. Seemed like a waste. Since I'm trying to pare down and do as much as I can ITB, it just made more sense to me to get a very good VCO based poly and religate something like Oxium to what I'm using the Analog Four now. If I could I'd own the Prophet 6 and the Analog Four... but I can't. Hell, I'd like an 08... and a... well, I could go on...
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpich View Post

At that price point it might be a who cares about multi deal and just use it as a great sounding analog poly that's the size of a delay pedal.
Exactly. It expands my Prophet '08 and I can easily take it with me on sessions. Anybody that's into the sound of the Oberheim Matrix 1000 should check this out as it's more present and has a juicier filter. Great purchase.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Heh. I already know I'm going to miss a lot about the Analog Four. It's dual filter architecture lets me do some really fun stuff and the inclusion of the osc synced LFO functionality is almost like having a 3rd oscillator. Plus, three LFOs, three EGs... audio in... The only downfall is that I did keep running into times where I wished I had an extra voice... or two. I never ran it as 4 monosynths and I never used it's sequencer. Seemed like a waste. Since I'm trying to pare down and do as much as I can ITB, it just made more sense to me to get a very good VCO based poly and religate something like Oxium to what I'm using the Analog Four now. If I could I'd own the Prophet 6 and the Analog Four... but I can't. Hell, I'd like an 08... and a... well, I could go on...
You might not a moment you turn on P6 and then play I - VI - II or smth like with one hand and move lp knob with other - you'd notice that you could smoothly turn it 0%-100% with no effort and sound is good during this motion. That's were your "I miss A4 would start to disappear" and "omg I better write some tunes" would appear.
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
You might not a moment you turn on P6 and then play I - VI - II or smth like with one hand and move lp knob with other - you'd notice that you could smoothly turn it 0%-100% with no effort and sound is good during this motion. That's were your "I miss A4 would start to disappear" and "omg I better write some tunes" would appear.
Hey! You're talking to a guy who has fond memories of a Poly800!

I'm not sure why there's so much dislike for the A4. It's no Prophet 6, but I happen to like its quirky kind of lo-fi sound. It's great for glitchy droney rhythmic stuff.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

hey,

anyone knows some cool encoders,pots i can use on the tetra?

i want my tetras to look cool!
Old 17th June 2016
Here for the gear

Just picked up one of these "sale" Tetra's, too, been drooling over it for some time... BTW, the Behringer BCR2000 and the Tetra make a great combination. Gives you back all the knobs DSI left off it!!! (Yes, I know all the Behringer horror stories... grin...)
Old 17th June 2016
Lives for gear

I'm kinda interested in the Tetra but it seems such a shame to buy nice bit of hardware only to have to use a vst editor to tweak it. I wish they'd have made it more like the P6 module.
Old 17th June 2016
wow at 449 its a real steal what a deal I wish I had got that on mine, bought one brand new at 800 or 850 when it came out and later got another second hand for cheap....

I wish I had this behringer controller seems like a good option but even better would be a prophet 8 or morpho 4 to control them

for anyone interested in the tetra make sure u checkout the codeknobs software for the tetra, its actually bug free and its a pretty awesome job, check out the dsi tetra forum for more details

one can never have too many s
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Addict

Hey have they worked out all the bugs? Are these safe to buy? It seems like a prophet with less knobs for $500... why isn't everyone buying these? Are they that bad?
Old 23rd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
Hey have they worked out all the bugs? Are these safe to buy? It seems like a prophet with less knobs for $500... why isn't everyone buying these? Are they that bad?
Bumpty bump

Anyone? How's the Tetra in 2017?
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Only issue for me (new Mopho user ) is you will need NRPN to control full range of filter , LFOs speed & Envelopes depth parameters IIRC .
I raised this in another thread , asking how long term users dealt with this , but no reply , so I assume its not a problem for most ,
but potential buyers should know they cant control full range of those parameters with CC only hardware/software .
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
Only issue for me (new Mopho user ) is you will need NRPN to control full range of filter , LFOs speed & Envelopes depth parameters IIRC .
I raised this in another thread , asking how long term users dealt with this , but no reply , so I assume its not a problem for most ,
but potential buyers should know they cant control full range of those parameters with CC only hardware/software .
Under global parameters, you can change MIDI send and MIDI receive to CC.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Under global parameters, you can change MIDI send and MIDI receive to CC.
I think what he means is that not all parameters are covered under CC control, while NRPN does cover everything. This is normal in synths with a high number of controllable parameters.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I control my Tetra with a combination of the PlugSE and Nektar Panorama P1 and when I use no DAW, the most important parameters with my NI S61. No problems.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
I think what he means is that not all parameters are covered under CC control, while NRPN does cover everything. This is normal in synths with a high number of controllable parameters.
sorry if I wasn't clear , but CC cannot reach full RANGE of values for some parameters .

e.g Filter freq parameter is 0-164 , so using CC only gives top 127 values
, leaving 0- 37 inaccessible .
envelopes are -127 to + 127 = 255 values .
LFO speed similarly > 128 values .
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know why I'm responding to a 7 year old thread but...

Quote:
DSI tetra , safe to buy ?
No I hear they're prone to exploding.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry if I wasn't clear , but CC cannot reach full RANGE of values for some parameters .

e.g Filter freq parameter is 0-164 , so using CC only gives top 127 values
, leaving 0- 37 inaccessible .
envelopes are -127 to + 127 = 255 values .
LFO speed similarly > 128 values .
Wut? The LFOs cannot be controlled with CC anyways. As for the filter etc. I thought the CC control is simply more "stepped" in the sense that it doesn't have so many values...
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Addict

as I said I'm a new user of mopho , just sharing my initial findings .if I 'm vague on the CC it's because I quickly moved to NRPNs

I know Filter CC doesnt scale , it just stops @ 37 .

There ARE Envelope amounts for CC , but presumably less range than NRPN
@projectwoofer yes , you're right now I'e looked there are NO CC for LFOs , I assumed like filter it would be available for CC but less range .

So although I was originally just pointing out that the ranges on some parameters were limited when using CC ,
it turns out that @autoy was also correct , as many parameters are not even available via CC e.g LFO controls or Mod Slot Amount .

Conclusion : So if you're planning to control with hardware or software , you'll need NRPN to fully exploit .
Old 7th October 2018
Deleted User
But a keybed, such as the MOPHO SE set to NRPN, would be perfect to control
a Tetra.

These don't seem to go up for sale much though!
I have the Mopho SE, but not the Tetra.

Quote:

Conclusion : So if you're planning to control with hardware or software , you'll need NRPN to fully exploit .
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Head
I've been meaning to connect my Tetra to Digitone. I wonder how well it does. Digitone can do NRPN as well as CC. It can sequence all 4 voices at once.
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear

i’m consindering to buy one too but i never fully understand his multitimbrality. if i sequence it from a hardware sequencer it can do four mono, or two duophonic, or one mono and one 3-voice poly, or one 4-voice poly, right? and every part with its own patch, right?

and i don’t have a computer so is it possible to edit patches from an ios editor or something? and, last but not least, when playing it live is it still possible to do minor tweakings with the few (assignable, i assume) knobs?

someone answer “yes” to all my questions please.
Old 8th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by skftr View Post
i’m consindering to buy one too but i never fully understand his multitimbrality. if i sequence it from a hardware sequencer it can do four mono, or two duophonic, or one mono and one 3-voice poly, or one 4-voice poly, right? and every part with its own patch, right?

and i don’t have a computer so is it possible to edit patches from an ios editor or something? and, last but not least, when playing it live is it still possible to do minor tweakings with the few (assignable, i assume) knobs?

someone answer “yes” to all my questions please.

1. Its supposed to... but good luck getting that to work properly

2. yes i think an ios editor exists

3. yes I think that should be pretty easy to set up

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search