The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI tetra , safe to buy ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
I bought this synth thinking i could use it with my Octatrack in multi mode but no luck..
It's going to be an absolute mother-chucker of a time-vampire, but you do realise you could make it work by diving through the menus on the hardware?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear
The mopho and tetra also suffer from unstable lfo drift.

Apparently it's not a top priority for them. Seriously, check their forum. Only the mopho key and tetra can be updated if they decide to do it. But, it was stated that in discussions with customers, they don't get complaints about the lfo drift, so they aren't giving it priority over other things.

It's a real shame.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
It's going to be an absolute mother-chucker of a time-vampire, but you do realise you could make it work by diving through the menus on the hardware?
I can but its not fun.

I cant access other banks when changing sounds from the DSI tetra in multimode.
There is a workaround, i send midi cc 32 from my Octatrack to change bank number. Not a big deal but i wish i could change sound from the Tetra so i don't have to use a midi cc modulation slot on the Octatrack just for that.
Well, i would be happy just to be able to select sounds on the Tetra Itself.

Cant save sound in multi mode , i have to go to program mode , select the sound i want to edit , save it , go back to multimode , select the sound.
Tedious if you ask me . Also editing from the Tetra itself is laborious. I was expecting a functional editor for that.

I dont really mind the other bugs like the distortion problem on certain voices and the drifting lfo.

Maybe i am just used to my Nord Modular G2 and its fantastic editor that work. Because without it you are very limited.

A very good analog synth anyway with lots of editing possibilities.
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
1- You cant save a patch when you are in multimode so you have to go back to program mode, edit the patch , save it , go back to multimode , reselect the patch.
From the Sound On Sound review of the Tetra:

While investigating, I discovered an unsung benefit lurking beneath the surface of the Tetra: the 512 Programs within its 128 Combos are not derived from the Programs in its Program mode, they are independent of them, so there are 1024 Programs in total. This has a significant consequence: you can mangle and save the Programs in a Combo to your heart’s content, and those held in Program mode are unaffected. DSI should really make a bigger point of this: it’s an important improvement when compared with the majority of synths that derive their Multis and Combis from pre-existing Programs, and on which any change to one always affects the other.

Somebody's fibbing here

Quote:
The editor is useless in multimode , in fact multi is not supported at all on the editor so editing has to be in program mode.
The free LE editor might be useless for multimode but you can buy the Pro editor ($40) to edit Combos.
Old 1st February 2012
Pym
Lives for gear

This was one of the issues that was holding me back from implementing multi mode saves, no matter how you do it, it never feels quite "right." In the end I decided to make it relatively simple and allow you to save a program in multi mode to a program slot, rather than a combo slot, since it feels more intuitive that way. While in combo mode, you save to a combo slot exactly as before. This will be in the next beta update, which should be released within the next week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
From the Sound On Sound review of the Tetra:

While investigating, I discovered an unsung benefit lurking beneath the surface of the Tetra: the 512 Programs within its 128 Combos are not derived from the Programs in its Program mode, they are independent of them, so there are 1024 Programs in total. This has a significant consequence: you can mangle and save the Programs in a Combo to your heart’s content, and those held in Program mode are unaffected. DSI should really make a bigger point of this: it’s an important improvement when compared with the majority of synths that derive their Multis and Combis from pre-existing Programs, and on which any change to one always affects the other.

Somebody's fibbing here

The free LE editor might be useless for multimode but you can buy the Pro editor ($40) to edit Combos.
Old 5th February 2012
DSi sucks for this very reason, the pots they use suck, and the p08 pots suck too, the fact that they didnt do a evolver style matrix edit on the mopho and tetra simply amazes me. I mean i could live with it if there was a cheap vst editor so i could seq and program at the same time. But noooooo.
Old 5th June 2012
JES
Lives for gear

Just reanimating this thread to ask:

I have a mophokb. If I get the Tetra and use poly-chain, will I have the same multimode issues everyone else is complaining about? Or could I run one sound on the mopho, but control a second poly sound from the tetra?

Thanks.

--JES
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
DSi sucks for this very reason, the pots they use suck, and the p08 pots suck too, the fact that they didnt do a evolver style matrix edit on the mopho and tetra simply amazes me. I mean i could live with it if there was a cheap vst editor so i could seq and program at the same time. But noooooo.
How do the pots on newer DSI synths suck? There is nothing wrong with the pots on my Mopho KB or Tempest. Their build quality is great. Maybe you mean the pots they used before.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

I just wouldn't bother with the tetra at all. It's unprogramable manually!
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
I have no problem programming mine - what are you referring to??
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

The hands on aspect of it is non/existent ! The knobs on it are pointless
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

I hate to ask, but what are the knobs for then?

Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The hands on aspect of it is non/existent ! The knobs on it are pointless
This complaint is kind of a non-starter for me. Everyone here has a MIDI controller, just spend 25 minutes mapping it and never have to worry about it again.
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
I have no problem programming mine
Yeah, me neither...
Old 6th June 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
I really want to see the list of the actual serious bugs of the Tetra listed out by somebody ... would be really nice
As somebody who owned and sold the tetr4 [for a phophet08 ], and for someone who has often criticised DSI about software bugs,

I have to honestly tell you that asa standalone module the tetr4 is one hell of a synth,

and that the only serious bugs I found in the tetr4 were related to its polychain mode. THAT was really bad. But it started ABOVE the 4 voices.

Otherwise it is a solid and realiable instrument.

I didn't use the editor (there's no need, definitely no need). I tried once, and my (bad)opinion of Soundtower was confirmed.

Quote:
you joking.

The menu is the straightforward.

Your fingers "quickly" learn how many knob degrees access a parameter.

More, the four programmable knobs (per patch) make the NINE most useful parameters of each patch accessible realtime.

Frankly, has a knob-addict, I don't think I ever tweak more than 9 parameters PER PATCH in real time.

Of cotrse, I sold my tetr4 for a prophet08 because (among others) I wanted ALL paramenters (almost all, not even the prophet is totally "panel oriented") to be accessible.

But that multiplies the price by 2.5 (by cutting polytimbrality by half).

The OP might be interested in the "bang for the buck" and "not selling a kidney" parameters of the tetr4.
Old 25th July 2012
Absolutely. Anyone with a Tetra, do not use the USB port. I was using the USB in with the midi out. It doesn't work despite the fact that the manual says it will. Also, the USB alone doesn't work well. The solution is to just use pure midi and then it all works fine.

The editor is useless though I only tried the demo version. It's really not a problem to program from the instrument. Once you have the basic parameters of the sound you want save it and then tweak away with the know assignments.

This was my experience with it. YMMV.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
This complaint is kind of a non-starter for me. Everyone here has a MIDI controller, just spend 25 minutes mapping it and never have to worry about it again.
Yep.

Did that with my Blofeld. The only think I really have to do on the Blofeld is the modulation editing.
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Head

Four questions about Tetra

I also think about tetra purchase, but afraid to loose money in buy/sell process if I go wrong. I've read here and there, try to register in DSI forum, but registration on their forum also buggy and didn't work this time. So I do not have a clear picture can I use it like I want. I do not need multimode and polychain actually, I want to use it like usual four-voices polysynth in hardware setup.

Please answer to any from my four "safe to buy" questions.

1. Now can I use Tetra with editor (on Mac) in Midi chain with other hardware?

2. Is it possible to tweak sounds through editor by USB in realtime if Tetra play by Midi from hardware sequencer?

3. Can I automate some parameters on Tetra by Midi CC from hardware sequencer and tweak others params in editor in realtime?

4. How fast I can change patches manually from Tetra face itself? Is it fast enough for changes in live from track to track? Or patches would be changed easily with Program Change messages?
Old 27th July 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer View Post
4. How fast I can change patches manually from Tetra face itself? Is it fast enough for changes in live from track to track? Or patches would be changed easily with Program Change messages?
Use program changes.

Scrolling 128 patches in a bank requires several complete rotations of the dedicated knob,

which is not suitable for on-the-fly changes when performing live.

I definitely use bank/program change messages on the prophet08 as well

I have not the faintest idea re your other questions

on a margin note: ths comments about the "useless knobs" on the tetr4 are totally wrong.

The tetr4 menus are very rational for somebody who knows classic analogue architecture, and that makes using the knobs fairly simple.

Of course, if it is not intuitive for you (and WHY) that "filter envelope velocity amount" usually comes to the right (=after) of "filter cutoff",

and that "lfo 1 amount" is usually a click away from "lfo1 frequency",

things can be more difficult.

But in that case don't blame the synth
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer View Post

Please answer to any from my four "safe to buy" questions.
2. Is it possible to tweak sounds through editor by USB in realtime if Tetra play by Midi from hardware sequencer?

3. Can I automate some parameters on Tetra by Midi CC from hardware sequencer and tweak others params in editor in realtime?
2 & 3 = Yes
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for explanations! I have no clear idea now if its ok for me to tweak sounds from tetras face, but how I understand I also have several alternative ways to do this — use the editor or midi mapping. Of course if structure is straightforward as described by ozy I hope I can control it as is.
Also I asked DSI support and they answered:

1. You can use the Tetra with the editor while it is MIDI chained to other hardware.

2. Yes you're able to alter parameters through the editor when connected via USB in realtime while the Tetra receives MIDI data from a separate hardware sequencer.

3. Yes you can automate parameters on the Tetra from external hardware while altering other parameters via the editor

4. You can change sounds from the Tetra's front plate quickly and easily by hitting the "program" button and using the "Select" knob to select a new patch. You can also change patches using MIDI program change messages.

So I hope It would be helpful for someone also.

But my first question need additional explanation I think=)
So if my midi chain is: midi-keyboard—> hardware sequencer—> mac/pc—> tetra—> other devices should editor work property? Or I must connect Tetra's midi out to my comp midi in before other devices?
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear
I would just use USB for the editor and midi cable for everything else. The Tetra is an awesome synth, well worth the price and very easy to program with or without the editor. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.
Old 29th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
I would just use USB for the editor and midi cable for everything else. The Tetra is an awesome synth, well worth the price and very easy to program with or without the editor. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.
This is ultimate answer So I go for Tetra.
Old 2nd August 2012
It is a great synth but mine freezes constantly while programming. I was told to turn the local function off. I did, nothing changed. I disconnected the USB, nothing changed, I tried different channels, hookups whatever, nothing changes. The fact is, the thing can freeze up really easily and there is no apparent explanation. So I am reduced to have to save my work after every parameter change for the inevitable freeze.

I don't know what paces others have put their Tetras through but when I program I jump around from parameter to parameter making adjustments. If the instrument can't do that it is virtually useless.

In this regard VAs are much better than any analogue on the planet. They integrate well with the DAW and saving work doesn't require dumping other sounds.

Oh well, too bad. Otherwise its a great synth.
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quick question: Does the Tetra give me 8 oscillators plus 8 sub oscillators for a total of 16 oscillators running at once(when in multimode)? Please correct me if im wrong...
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Quick question: Does the Tetra give me 8 oscillators plus 8 sub oscillators for a total of 16 oscillators running at once(when in multimode)? Please correct me if im wrong...
Well, yes... But of course the sub oscillator frequencies are locked to 1 & 2 octaves below the main oscillator frequencies. Heh, I get all giddy when playing all oscs and sub oscs together in detuned unison like a mono synth.
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
It is a great synth but mine freezes constantly while programming.
I'd get that checked out... Mine doesn't freeze up like that.
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Well I'll get a tetra for now, and I'll wait to see what comes at NAMM. I think Pym mentioned something in another thread. Something about him working on something else right now? Anyway I'll be happy with the tetra for now, not really interested on the Mopho x4.
Old 13th January 2013
Here for the gear

Evaluating the Tetra

I bought a Tetra a few weeks ago after taking ages to decide on a new analog synth to go along with the first one I got a year ago, a Dark Energy (1). I read endlessly through reviews and forums like this one trying to decide so I thought I'd relate my thoughts on the unit in case anyone comes across this while trying to do the same.

I was considering the Tetra because I'd fallen in love with analog synths but I wanted to go beyond the mono and play chords seeing as I already have the DE. Looked into modular setups, chaining monosynths, etc. Kept coming back to the Tetra because it has 8 oscillators, four outputs and costs $900 (where I am anyway).

A lot of people however were saying that it was very hard to program, the editor was buggy as hell, and lacked much in the way of front panel knobbage. While my experience with the editor was the same as everyone else, my experience editing from the front panel has been pretty easy. As long as you have a basic understanding of subtractive synthesis, there are not really that many controls to go through and once you move away from the presets you'll find it a very flexible expressive instrument for sound design. For onscreen editing and controller recording I've been using these max 4 live devices which make everything recordable in Ableton.

www.maxforlive.com - View Device Details

That last one is pretty much the full soundtower editor inside Live, there is another for the terrific step sequencers in the Tetra. These sequencers are great for running loops on the modulation parameters in a patch.

Once you start editing voices this synth sounds incredible and extraordinary value for the price. Having 8 sub oscillators, 8 regular oscillators and feedback going on a 4 note analog chord is incredible. It certainly has it's own character and feels like a real instrument, to me it sounds so good that I'm yet to run it through anything more than a little EQ when mixing it with other elements. As an analog 4 note, 4 output polysynth for the price there doesn't seem to be anything like it out there, I'm very glad to have mine.
Old 13th January 2013
nice one man I love mine too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search