The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog Poly-Synth that resembles CS-80 sound ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Analog Poly-Synth that resembles CS-80 sound ?

Hi,

Are there any modern Analog Poly-Synths that can emulate or sound similar to a Yamaha CS-80 ?

Any opinions/feedback on this ?

Thanks,

Muziksculp
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

the studio electronics omega code has filters that are supposed to sound like the cs 80. I can't really vouch for them though

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a feeling that no modern analog-poly synth can duplicate or come close to the CS-80 sound/character. But then I am not sure this is true, hence my post on this forum.

If there is a modern analog synth that is very similar, sounding to a CS-80, (Rich Pads, Warm expressive Brass, expressive rich leads, ..etc). I have not heard it yet.

By the way, the Virus Ti (Which is Virtual Analog), can kind of emulate the CS-80, but does not sound very analog, it still sounds digital when you compare it to the CS-80's analog OSCs and Filters.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

Are there any modern Analog Poly-Synths that can emulate or sound similar to a Yamaha CS-80 ?

Any opinions/feedback on this ?

Thanks,

Muziksculp
I don't think there has been anything like the CS-80 before or since. The Arturia hardware synth thingy (I can't remember what it's called) keyboard version has a ribbon controller on it like the CS-80. So you might be able to get some of the expression. But sound wise I doubt it could hold a candle to the CS-80. There are some decent software emulations of the CS-80. That might be us close as you'll get these days next to the real thing, which I've seen sell for £15,000 on fee-bay At 100kg & needing a tune-up if you so much as sneeze in it';s direction who would want a real CS-80? Well, I bloody would for a start. As soon as my lottery balls drop I'm on the hunt!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Having got my hands on every synth I could... get my hands on, I've been able to get some CS-80-like textures even on a Triton rompler. The Viruses and Radias can perform reasonably well as long as you don't go LFO modulating the filters too rapidly, and are actual synths. And you have to make sure to modulate low and highpass filters equally, or stick to bandpass, or the illusion is ruined. It's actually easier to get those qualities out of a digital synth than an analog, because an analog synth can't be much of a chameleon.

On the high (cost) end, the SE Code with the CS-80 filters sound pretty darn good, and has a nice button and knob-laden panel. On the lower end, the Arturia Origin, Origin Keyboard and the other offerings with the CS-80 model sound good enough that some have sold their analog behemoths. It does sound really close.

I have to say though, I wouldn't be surprised that in blind taste tests, many analog synths wouldn't sound very analog. Yes, I said it.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Although quite abit more limited in it's synth section, I feel and have noted others saying the Trident has a CS80ish tone:

Another (although not pure analogue) is the DW8000. I've heard a few superb CS type sounds come from it.

....and of course that famous Prophecy vid: heh

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis Andromeda A6 brasses can sound exactly like the ones we are used coming from CS-80 , of course even technology wise Andromeda is the only modern synth that can claim that is the child of CS-80. Andromeda has not got the ring modulator of CS-80 which is its hear, but both the hard/soft sync , the multi oscilators and the filter mix section can cover loads of similar ground.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

A DW8000 will get you close on some of the classic CS80 sounds. (not all obviously)..But not bad at all.

Korg DW-8000 doing Yamaha CS-80- like sound - YouTube
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
A DW8000 will get you close on some of the classic CS80 sounds. (not all obviously)..But not bad at all.

Not bad ! But, to my ears, it still sounds more digital than analog, it lacks that lush warm sound the CS-80 produces.

Actually, the Virus Ti can emulate a lot of the CS-80 sounds, plugging the Virus Ti analog outputs into a Tube Preamp can add additional warmth, and fullness that Virtual Analog lacks. It's still not exactly a CS-80 sound, but can get close in a mix, especially with some high-quality reverb/delay, and good programming.

What I'm looking for is a CS-80 sound in a 'Modern' analog poly-synth, not vintage, and not a hybrid, meaning pure analog signal path, OSC and Filters. and nothing older than 3 or 4 years. So far, I don't think there is such a modern analog, polyphonic synth that would do the job of a CS-80. Oh well.. If it does exist, I would like to know about it.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Virus TI good for emulating CS80 ? Are you serious ? One youtube demo (which is a whole song, what's worse) shouldn't be relevant for making such oppinions.

Same goes to DW8000. I copied setting of that youtube sound, and got something awfully tinny and weak. You wouldn't recognise it. With a massive external processing, guy got what wer'e hearing.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah I don't know

I remember the first time I saw a CS80 video and when the guy played some strings

my god I thought it was some entirely different synthesis type because it sounded LIKE REAL STRINGS. like a cello being attacked by apocalyptica.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Virus TI good for emulating CS80 ? Are you serious ? One youtube demo (which is a whole song, what's worse) shouldn't be relevant for making such oppinions.

Same goes to DW8000. I copied setting of that youtube sound, and got something awfully tinny and weak. You wouldn't recognise it. With a massive external processing, guy got what wer'e hearing.
Have you tried carefully programming, then layering more than one part on the Virus Ti + Use a tube PreAmp + High Quality Reverb/Delay ?

Well... I have messed around with this type of setup, and I was able to get some amazing sounds, be it brass, strings, pads, leads, ..etc. that have a very warm, lush, and quite huge sonic character, maybe not exactly sound like a CS-80, but I would say, have quite a bit of the characteristics of a CS-80, and other vintage analog synth sounds.

imho, the CS-80 is one of the most amazing synths ever designed, I doubt there is any analog synth made in the past two decades that can duplicate it.

Oh.. unless YAMAHA makes a CS-80 Virtual Analog synth that can achieve this via their VCM technology, and maybe add an analog filters section instead of digital filters into it, to further make it sound as analog, and smooth as possible. But, I doubt this will happen.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you tried carefully programming, then layering more than one part on the Virus Ti + Use a tube PreAmp + High Quality Reverb/Delay ?
No, I haven't done quite that. But I played it many times. And I got a Snow over the weekend once, to pair it with DP4 and Rumour and to compare it to Virus Classic I had back than. Classic sounded much fuller and warmer, while Snow went to totally different teritories earlier Viruses can't reach. And that good, but I liked my Classic more.

Now, speaking of the character of sound, neather has some sort of "CS80 colour" in it. They can emulating many types of sounds from numerous analogs, but so can many other digital synths. That doesn't mean they nail their character.

Never than less, I'd like to hear what some tube PreAmp can do to TI's sound...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Never than less, I'd like to hear what some tube PreAmp can do to TI's sound...
If you have a tube PreAmp, give it a try, drive the synths analog output signal into the TubeAmp and observe the change in sonic character .

Noting that this applies to any synth, be it pure digital, or pure analog, virtual analog, hybrid digital w/ analog filter, FM, software virtual synths, ..etc.

The (analog) TubeAmp will broaden (make it sound bigger/fuller/fatter), soften the sonic characteristics to get it closer to analog, the sound will also seem more present, and upfront, depending on the amount of tube saturation/gain settings you dial in. This also will depend on which Tube PreAmp you use. Some are so/so, some are good, and some are great sounding. (I use a Presonus ADL-600) and it sounds Awesome !

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not bad ! But, to my ears, it still sounds more digital than analog, it lacks that lush warm sound the CS-80 produces.

Actually, the Virus Ti can emulate a lot of the CS-80 sounds, plugging the Virus Ti analog outputs into a Tube Preamp can add additional warmth, and fullness that Virtual Analog lacks. It's still not exactly a CS-80 sound, but can get close in a mix, especially with some high-quality reverb/delay, and good programming.

What I'm looking for is a CS-80 sound in a 'Modern' analog poly-synth, not vintage, and not a hybrid, meaning pure analog signal path, OSC and Filters. and nothing older than 3 or 4 years. So far, I don't think there is such a modern analog, polyphonic synth that would do the job of a CS-80. Oh well.. If it does exist, I would like to know about it.
Yes , I do know what you are saying. Nothing will be a CS80 truly except a CS80. But with the DW8000,, you can achieve some amazing results (huge filter). However,, there is a very fine line between absolute crap to sonic bliss with that synth. One of the really unique things about it.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Someone mentioned the Virus.. I have one of those. CS 80....maybe at a first glance,,, but up close....no, it's not a CS80. That doesn't make the Virus an lesser of an instrument... It;s pretty cool.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Missed my post, 2 above yours then heh

I agree the filter on that board is rather nice. Certainly doesn't sound thin imo. Just wish it had a more tactile interface.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the Youtube link of CS-70 imitating Vangelis signature lead brassy sound. The CS-70 is the young cousin of the CS-80.

It sounds great once it got the Reverb on heh A high-quality Reverb can do wonders to sound. Even a toy casio keyboard can sound big and majestic.

But... are there modern polyphonic synths that have that CS-80 signature sound ? So far I don't think so, and I doubt we will see a new classic poly-analog synth born in 2011 that gets close to the CS-80, which is over three decades old (produced by Yamaha during 1976-1979), weight = over 200 lbs, and cost over $8000. Not sure what the street price is for a used one, but I am seeking a modern version.

I guess virtual analog synths will get better, and better with new emulation technologies every year, and possibly get better at emulating analog synth characteristics. Computers are getting faster, and emulation technologies will eventually be able to get pretty close, up to a point that it will be hard to tell hear the difference Virtual Analog, and Real Analog. For now the difference is audible.

The Virus Ti is a great Virtual Analog Synth, I enjoy programming it, the range of sounds it can produce are endless, and it always surprises me what V-Ti can create, well... programming it is the key, layering sounds, adding internal, and external processing i.e. TubeAmp + High-Quality Rebverb/delay can add another dimension of character that is not possible with the Virus Ti alone. I guess I will just have to wait, and see what the future brings.

For the now, I will stick to programming my Virus Ti.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Missed my post, 2 above yours then heh

I agree the filter on that board is rather nice. Certainly doesn't sound thin imo. Just wish it had a more tactile interface.
My apologies Flat Earth. I noticed that you have included that YouTube clip after I posted the link. More of a tactile interface would definitely be great on the 8000. That's one of the great things about the Polysix. I think it's also why fewer people are inclined to build sounds with it from scratch.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's one of the great things about the Polysix.
This is also one of the great things about the Polysix:

Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Not analog, but here is Vaz Modular in CS 80 clothes.

Demo 1

Demo 2

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search