The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help creating my own drum loops that make people want to dance (on the soulful side ) Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Help creating my own drum loops that make people want to dance (on the soulful side )

Hi,
I'm looking for advice for creating my own drum loops that make people want to dance (on the soulful side of deep house ,tec-house , techno , minimal ) .
I want to make drum loops like the ones on sample cds but I want to make my own .
I don't want to focus on sounds because the sounds are great I want to focus more on the groove and technique of laying down and sequencing drums .

I'm also interested in the layering of afro-cuban drums .

Is there a secret to creating dope dance drum grooves because it seems some of these dance loop cd's have it down to a science.

I'm more interested in the structure of the groove .
Sometimes I'll hear tracks where the drums sound good but it doesn't make you want to dance . Then sometimes I hear tracks with extremely simple beats that make you want to dance like crazy .

Thanks for your help and book recommendations are also welcome .
Remember , the key word here is soulful .
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

-Try listening to some of your favorite traditional Afro-Cuban productions (over and over and over...).

-Take one of the sections from the composition (or the whole composition if you are incredibly ambitious!) and loop it.

-Using your own palette of sounds, try to recreate the loop/track as perfectly as possible.

-Repeat this several times with different songs/loops.

-Make variations of the what you have learned to do by moving a few notes/beats into different places.

-Begin making your own loops from scratch, based on all of the experience you've gain.

Keep doing this and you'll be making the kinds of loops on your own in no time. Good luck!

-T
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks very helpful info .
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't be afraid to chop up loops and combine them into something new. Sometimes the vibe can come from blending these sounds together and layering them underneath a foundation.

Also, you may find one loop that sounds completely lifeless will suddenly come alive if you start swapping out drum sounds.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
Don't be afraid to chop up loops and combine them into something new. Sometimes the vibe can come from blending these sounds together and layering them underneath a foundation.

Also, you may find one loop that sounds completely lifeless will suddenly come alive if you start swapping out drum sounds.
Thanks , this is just the type of info I was looking for .
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post

I'm also interested in the layering of afro-cuban drums .
This is like one of the very few things I know about on this Earth.
i mean, i'd go on 'youtube' and listen to examples of the
cascara rhythm and son clave
until your head explodes...If you're familiar with Afro-Cuban stuff then you will have heard those rhythms alot already. Learn a good amount of the individual rhythms and that's a huge start.
most Afro-Cuban drumming is a composite of different known rhythms. Cascara on a drumkit, for example, is usually played on a bell, or the shell of the floor tom, or the HH, or the ride bell; the kick drum would usually play the bombo note(s) to accompany that; THEN, the snare drum and toms usually plays the notes in the spaces of the cascara.
there is also plenty of rad 6/8 stuff, which is my fave...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Remember , the key word here is soulful .
yeah, so a big part is gonna be that if you're doing it to a grid, you're gonna wanna un-quantize stuff (except for maybe the kick). Alot of the feel of Afro-Cuban drumming is that it's a little "sloppy". I had a drum teacher that was very serious about being sloppy and elegant at the same time, if that makes sense. So most of the life is gonna come from accents and faulty rhythm...

I could go on forever, let me know if this is helpful.
Btw, what sort of gear are you gonna use to do this?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict
i love the internet
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
i love the internet
you making fun of me?heh
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
Btw, what sort of gear are you gonna use to do this?
MPC 5000 , elektron machinedrum and maybe midi some other drums from hardware synths .

Btw great advice .
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i love the internet
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Become a better dancer yourself. Dance along while you lay down beats.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
Become a better dancer yourself.
Just because your a great wide receiver doesn't mean your a great quarterback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
Dance along while you lay down
beats.
Now that's good advice .
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
you making fun of me?heh
Hey Roc, Limpy Loo
sorry to drag up a thread from weeks ago - I was being genuine - to see people providing such helpful offerings fills me with joy.

I've been making music for a long time but I have so much to learn. I was getting good info from this thread.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Roc, Limpy Loo
sorry to drag up a thread from weeks ago - I was being genuine - to see people providing such helpful offerings fills me with joy.

I've been making music for a long time but I have so much to learn. I was getting good info from this thread.
Great
So lets keep it going !
One thing I have learned is that less is more .
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, so a big part is gonna be that if you're doing it to a grid, you're gonna wanna un-quantize stuff (except for maybe the kick). Alot of the feel of Afro-Cuban drumming is that it's a little "sloppy".
To do this on the Machinedrum, Swing is your friend. The default swing trigs are the off-beat but you can (should?) change this for every drum part and also you can change so one measure is different than another. You can only swing after the beat but one workaround is to swing the bass drum late and then everything else is early. Now swing the rest as needed.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Relative volumes of the different layers of a 'groove' are really important! I have noticed when people on GS discuss 'swing' they often only talk about the timing.

Not saying thats happening here!

But just imagine that bombo note someone mentioned earlier at max velocity while the rest of the groove is at half velocity value...it would kill the groove. In general pick up notes don't sound so good if they are equal volume to the notes following them, having said that on higher frequency perc and hats you can reverse that logic and actually go louder on the off beats.

On the topic of afro Cuban rhythm I recommend learning the son clave and the rumba clave, when you have them down, try pushing the rumba clave so it starts to sound like a 6/8 afro bell pattern. Its a great way to start feeling your way into the underlying swing of the rumba.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolic View Post
To do this on the Machinedrum, Swing is your friend. The default swing trigs are the off-beat but you can (should?) change this for every drum part and also you can change so one measure is different than another. You can only swing after the beat but one workaround is to swing the bass drum late and then everything else is early. Now swing the rest as needed.
Nice ! Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search