The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can i sequence prophet 5 with 909????????? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can i sequence prophet 5 with 909?????????

Hey guys anyone know how to sequence my prophet 5 with my tr 909? both have midi. i know it is possible do i use midi or the trigger output on the 909 and cv gate on prophet? i am confused.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes you can. Although a little limited, you can use the MIDI "instrument track" on the 909 to sequence any other piece of MIDI gear. It has been said that Robert Hood would use drum sequences from his 909 to create rhythmic patterns on other synths.

-T
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

With MIDI you'll be limited to 16 note pitch's and one gate time which is super short at something like a quarter of a sixteenth.
It's fine as a trigger, not so good for sequencing notes.
To have long sounds you need a synth/sampler with a suitable release section in it's envelopes.

The trigger out is to trigger sequencers and arpreggiators. Does the prophet have a sequencer or arp ?
It's just a short pulse so if you use it to trigger a gate , gate times will be very short and you wont have any pitch control.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknosmoker View Post
. It has been said that Robert Hood would use drum sequences from his 909 to create rhythmic patterns on other synths.
Sounds like he used the trig out to trigger the Sh101 sequencer and the MIDI tracks for some samples , fx,percussion,etc.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

rtfm
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I own a 909 but its been a looong time since I have used this feature. I currently don't have any gear that receives trig.

You may be able use the rimshot output on the 909 to the trig in on the pro-5.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

so all it can really do is trigger an arpeggiator on my virus? or some notes on my prophet?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
so all it can really do is trigger an arpeggiator on my virus? or some notes on my prophet?
You don't know the power of the darkside.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Hey guys anyone know how to sequence my prophet 5 with my tr 909? both have midi. i know it is possible do i use midi or the trigger output on the 909 and cv gate on prophet? i am confused.
Dude, you have some REALLY nice gear! How long have you been doing it for?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

spend a day reading the manuals for the gear you own. most have pictures of setups that will clue you in.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bought most of my gear over the last 3 years. Been playing for 10. I'm 23 now.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It's no piano roll, but the 909's rimshot out can trigger the envelope of any synthesizer with a gate input. I do it on my voyager all the time, and just play notes on the keyboard. Yes, it is a very short trigger, so you will need to add release on the volume envelope.

Cheers!

-Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search