The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question to those of you who have gotten degrees in music tech/audio engineering
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Question to those of you who have gotten degrees in music tech/audio engineering

What did you plan to do? Where/How did you plan to work?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm doing my degree now. I plan to teach. I don't see any other career options other then that.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm at the end of my first year in a three year bachelors program....

teaching is certainly a field i also consider a possibility, it seems like it would be one of the obvious first considerations.

i also want to make sound for ipad / iphone apps especially and have buddies who are learning how to make the games so i'm excited about that.

or maybe i will get the chance to work in the sound department at one of the video game studios in town which would be pretty sweet, but gonna be tough to get that position without knowing someone.

then there is always the movies and general recording potential. Buy a bunch of field recording gear, and businesses, media personal, and sometimes just random people will pay good money to get a professional recording. There is a lot more underground low-budget media work going on then i think people realize.

then theres my real dream, which i have to consider a hobby for the safety of my ego...

make a bunch of awesome dance music, throw big ass parties, and profit from all of it while getting to travel around the world. but it's really ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC.

thats why we got into it the first place. i don't care if things don't work out perfectly but i'm getting to learn from about 6 really good teachers the only thing i really want to learn. And the knowledge im gonna have after doing the program will really be worth the absurd amount of money i'm borowing to enroll. Especially considering most of this stuff you can learn on the internet if you study hard enough and can learn all of the vocab well enough.

good luck whatever path you choose
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

I always planned to make techno, and hated the fact that I had to spend countless hours week after week, cutting and splicing 1/4" tape, memorizing sabines formula or micing up drum kits. I passed with distinctions and since leaving have gone on to have a successful career in the tiny world of techno, semi successful in that you cant stay on top indefinitely unless you're the person that directs the subtle change in styles within that niche. But im well respected and happy with I've kept my integrity musically. I've met other people that I was on the course with since, some have gone on to be artists in various genres, most however have gone into live pa work for business conferences etc, I think one guy I knew ended up on the bottom rung at some pro studio somewhere but tbh im pretty sure most people there weren't gunning for that and rather saw themselves as recording artists looking to get an extra advantage

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search