The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My review of Korg Microkey Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

My review of Korg Microkey

I bought a Korg Microkey controller last week and here's my thoughts on it.

I needed a smaller, portable midi controller for convenience and for those times when I don't feel like turning on my entire midi studio just to mess around with a quick idea.

I'm used to playing on large sized keys for my entire life and some people might not like the mini keys on the Korg, but I find that the Microkey has a nice feel to the keys, even if they're mini sized. The Microkey also functions as a 2 port USB hub.

I have a 61 Key fullsize M-audio controller and that's complete garbage compared to the Microkey, in terms of playability, feel and quality. The pitch wheel, the mod wheel and the keys feel much better on the Korg than on the much larger M-audio controller. I was also able to pick up the entire Korg Legacy collection of softsynths for $99, because it's cheaper for anybody who has bought a Microkey.

In conclusion, I find the Microkey to be a pretty good and extremely cheap midi controller that has a better feel and quality to it than some other much larger controllers, such as my 61 key M-audio controller.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
The Microkey doesn't have a port for a pedal switch (or even a button to simulate it, like the Akai LPK25), I find that to be a serious shortcoming.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
The Microkey doesn't have a port for a pedal switch (or even a button to simulate it, like the Akai LPK25), I find that to be a serious shortcoming.
That is true. There are only 3 connections total on the Microkey, all of them USB. One USB to connect to your computer and the remaining two can be used as a hub. It receives power via USB also.

If somebody relies on a pedal when playing synths, then I certainly see your point. It wasn't an issue for me as I never use any pedals when playing, but I can see that it might be an issue for others, if they need that particular feature.

The Korg's main selling point for me was that it had 3 octaves and a decent feel, something that none of those other small controllers had. I have an older Oxygen 8 which is 2 octaves and fullsize keys, but it is such complete garbage that I haven't even bothered to touch it for many, many years.
Old 26th April 2012
Here for the gear

I'm really interested in the microkey. I need a keyboard I can fit in a suitcase and demo/compose on my laptop. A pint sized velocity sensitive keyboard with playability, this seems like the best option to me.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Addict

I'm getting the 25 key version for iPad, seems to be the best choice in that price/size range.
Old 26th April 2012
Here for the gear

I've heard the microkey eats too much power for the iPad in other reviews.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgenius View Post
Which version? The 25 key is supposedly made for ipad and isn't out yet AFAIK.
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgenius View Post
This is true for the 3 octave model. BTW I love my Microkey!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search