The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For the Eurorack users - advice please Desktop Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

For the Eurorack users - advice please

Hi there guys! This is my first post here regarding this subject. I don't know if it's the right place for this question, i posted in another place as well.

I have my studio for over a year now and as a gearslut i just can never get enough lol.

My only analog synth is a slim phatty, wich i love, and by sampling it i can make pads. I was considering buying a tetra, perhaps a prophet 08, but not anymore.

My new goal was to get a dave smith tempest, but im not sure anymore... We can always program the beats in our sequencer right? I think it's better to invest in a modular synth than a drum machine.

I think it's been 2 months since i've bought Madrona Labs's Aalto, it's a great synth and i love it, unique sounds! It inspired me to start diving into the modular world.

I have been reading the threads here about euroracks (also researched other websites and forums), and i think i've narrowed my decision to this:

Synthesizers.com

a n a l o g u e h a v e n

I also enjoyed the prices from Blacet.

My question is: Can i get a similar system (with similar price) from another company wich has better quality than those i've chosen? Is the blacet system better than synth.com? And by "better" i mean not only the build quality, but also the audio.

If i get this rack24 system, can i expand this later with other modules from other companies? same with doepfer?

Thx a lot guys
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Eurorack systems have the largest variety of modules, by a looooong shot. The other formats simply can't compare in terms of how many manufacturers there are producing modules. A quick look at the list of modules available from Analogue Haven in Eurorack format will confirm this. The compact size of Euro makes it easy to pack tons of synth power into a much smaller space than the other formats as well - and the inexpensive cables are a nice bonus as well. I have a large Eurorack that started as a couple of Doepfer cases full of modules, and I've found modules that are strange, wonderful, and not available in other formats. Things like the MFB analog drum modules, Metasonix tube-based distortions and filters, Flame's Clockworks and Talking Synth, and the Makenoise Phonogene, Rene, and Pressure Points modules just don't exist in other formats. With Eurorack there are new modules coming out literally every week, with new manufacturers getting into the game every couple of months.

Buchla and Serge are also great choices but not cheap. Buchla is unique in that the knob positions can be saved and recalled (and with the use of their signal router modules, cable routings can be recalled as well), giving you the ability to store and recall presets. This can get pretty amazing - but the price of entry is very steep.

Analogue Haven is definitely a good place to get your modular gear from - another good source is Big City Music:

Big City Music, Vintage and New Music Equipment

They carry some items that AH doesn't have. Between the two you're pretty much all set.

You'll want to visit the MuffWiggler forum as well; it's the gearslutz of the modular world where you can see pictures and hear examples of different setups and see what other modular freaks are up to:

Last edited by Reptil; 11th September 2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: no generic links to other fora please.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi there mate! Thx for the reply!

I already have created an account there, really nice forum!

Yeah mate, im really overwhelmed with all the possibilities, and it's just so many manufacturers and modules that im really exhausted of looking around.

I don't know a lot of electronics and stuff, so, for me, it's better to buy something already assembled, and then start adding some external modules.

As i said, i narrowed my decision to those 2 systems. But it's not casted in stone yet. I was looking some more of the analogue solutions stuff, they have good things there. I became particularly interested in the Telemark and Leipzig-S.

They are not full modular but offer a great range of patching, i think that for me it's a good way to start. Instead of spending U$2500 on a system i'd rather buy Telemark and Leipzig-S. Or Telemark and a analog sequencer.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

don't forget the euro modular planner.

Eurorack Modular Synth Planner

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's a good idea to start with a Leipzig, Vostok, or something similar - there's a very good reason they call it EuroCRACK. Once you've got an enclosure with empty slots, it can turn into a weekly order from Analogue Haven... and with EuroCrack, you're never finished, there's always another module or three that you've just "got to have".
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Watch out, they call it EuroCrack for a reason =o]
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

LOL "Eurocrack"!! That's a good one! heh

Well, "i need the latest thing out there" sounds just like me... not good... This way im gonna go broke in 2 months.

Well im pretty decided now, gonna go with Telemark and a analog sequencer (dark time or their oberkom) or Telemark and the new Leipzig-S wich has a sequencer, so i believe i can use it's sequencer to control the Telemark and i'll have two new synths!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm trying to sell my 303 so i can buy a Telemark and an Oberkorn v3.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search