The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a bit help to change my style Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Need a bit help to change my style

Hi slutz.
I am standing at a point in life (I'm 35) where I think it's the best to change my workflow and style, but I notice it's very hard.
Until now I have done mainly synth pop with classic pop song structure. I don't want to stop this completely, but I need something new and more electro / synth orientated.
I am very bad with style names, and I have no clear view of how I wanna sound like. Not dubstep, that can be said already now.

I want to combine the synth music style from around 1980 (Jarre/Vangelis/etc.) with a bit more cool and/or weird elements, but also add some vocals, maybe with vocoder. Though the voice shouldn't be the leading instrument.

Until now, I always had song ideas in my head first, discovering a melody, vowels mostly come along, so I build the lyrics around that and then find an arragement that comes closest to what I hear in my head.
But I notice I fail with transporting this system into a new genre.
I also tried to just make a beat first, and then a bass or poly track, but it often sounds soooo forced and uninspired.
Yesterday evening I just played for an hour on my synths to see what comes out of this, but either I do have an uninspired phase (they exist) or I really have problems to change my style to something more instrumental/electronic which shouldn't be EDM.

Are there other things I could try with changing my style / finding a new one?

Of my synths, I mostly take the Mopho (Bass), the Tyrrell N6 or Minimonsta (Poly/Pads) and the Monomachine (drums, sequences). I wanna keep it to 5-7 tracks maximum (beat, bass, poly, seq, vocals, maybe one more poly or seq).
And yeah, my target group is rather adult.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure if this is the type of answer you are seeking, and it seems a bit of an obvious thing to say... but...

Listen. Make a playlist of a bunch of tracks that you really like, then really listen to them... work out exactly which elements of each track are the ones that make you love it, then consider how that was produced & written. Then look for patterns amongst these findings & implement similar structures into your own work.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you really want to make sounds like a specific genre you can. I did it when I was younger, it's just a matter of putting the time in everyday. The thing is though, by the time I was able to do this that style of music no longer held my interest.

I'll say do the exact opposite of what Simonator says. Don't listen to other people's music except friends and collaborators.

Don't try to make music that is tied to rules or stylistic decisions of a genre. The only outcomes are forced or bland.

It sounds like you've found some sounds and techniques that work well for expressing what you want to communicate and you're having a hard time breaking free. Don't go from being tied down to one genre to another.

It might take some hard work, but open your mind to all sounds. Then when you put a song together you can be confident you are using the best sound that communicates your ideas most clearly.

It sounds like you need to go on a life adventure/take a vacation/make an irresponsible decision, but putting in the work will suffice.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Polar, try copying entire song structures that you want to sound like. I do that a lot
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

cool, thanks so far. Especially for the opposite opinions above
After 10 years into Synthesizers, only now I have my first Hardware-Sequencer (Monomachine) and making slowly progress there.

Still trying to find how I want to use sequencers. I underestimated the fun and the usefulness for way too long.

An album that inspired me a lot in the past years is "Sexuality" by Sebastien Tellier, maybe someone knows that. It's one of the styles I try to reach, just with less vocals. Not as in imitating it, but coming close, at least partially.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Hi slutz.
I am standing at a point in life (I'm 35) where I think it's the best to change my workflow and style, but I notice it's very hard.
Until now I have done mainly synth pop with classic pop song structure. I don't want to stop this completely, but I need something new and more electro / synth orientated.
I am very bad with style names, and I have no clear view of how I wanna sound like. Not dubstep, that can be said already now.

I want to combine the synth music style from around 1980 (Jarre/Vangelis/etc.) with a bit more cool and/or weird elements, but also add some vocals, maybe with vocoder. Though the voice shouldn't be the leading instrument.

Until now, I always had song ideas in my head first, discovering a melody, vowels mostly come along, so I build the lyrics around that and then find an arragement that comes closest to what I hear in my head.
But I notice I fail with transporting this system into a new genre.
I also tried to just make a beat first, and then a bass or poly track, but it often sounds soooo forced and uninspired.
Yesterday evening I just played for an hour on my synths to see what comes out of this, but either I do have an uninspired phase (they exist) or I really have problems to change my style to something more instrumental/electronic which shouldn't be EDM.

Are there other things I could try with changing my style / finding a new one?

Of my synths, I mostly take the Mopho (Bass), the Tyrrell N6 or Minimonsta (Poly/Pads) and the Monomachine (drums, sequences). I wanna keep it to 5-7 tracks maximum (beat, bass, poly, seq, vocals, maybe one more poly or seq).
And yeah, my target group is rather adult.
My advice, since you asked for it, is quite simply to make as much music as possible without associating it with any style. Your only bench mark should be whether you like it and enjoyed making it. All of the "head" stuff comes after you complete a track. Be true to yourself. Don't be lazy. Don't cut corners. Work hard to realise the sounds in your head. Let yourself make mistakes. Let yourself suck. Do what others have advised and listen to other things. Find out what inspires you and just go with it. It sounds overly simple but "Just do it". Consider a partner for collaboration.

I have so many things that get in my way too. Age? doesn't matter. Full time career, loving and supportive family, too much gear. Find a balance.

Music is what it is today because today's artists don't do the above. (In my opinion)
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
My advice, since you asked for it, is quite simply to make as much music as possible without associating it with any style. Your only bench mark should be whether you like it and enjoyed making it. All of the "head" stuff comes after you complete a track. Be true to yourself. Don't be lazy. Don't cut corners. Work hard to realise the sounds in your head. Let yourself make mistakes. Let yourself suck. Do what others have advised and listen to other things. Find out what inspires you and just go with it. It sounds overly simple but "Just do it". Consider a partner for collaboration.

I have so many things that get in my way too. Age? doesn't matter. Full time career, loving and supportive family, too much gear. Find a balance.

Music is what it is today because today's artists don't do the above. (In my opinion)
100% agree. Just make music to make music, because you can. Some days you'll churn out great stuff and really surprise yourself. Other days you will be utter trash.

Have fun with it. heh
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Develop your own style. YOu already have subliminal influences that have provided you with some reference points...but there really are no rules. Conform only to your own creativity.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Not sure if this is the type of answer you are seeking, and it seems a bit of an obvious thing to say... but...

Listen. Make a playlist of a bunch of tracks that you really like, then really listen to them... work out exactly which elements of each track are the ones that make you love it, then consider how that was produced & written. Then look for patterns amongst these findings & implement similar structures into your own work.
Yeah, I can't recommend anything better than this. If you want to make something, you really gotta know it. That might sound stupid but it feels like it gets the point across.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search