The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Keyboard and rack unit combo <$1000 used Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Keyboard and rack unit combo <$1000 used

Hi
This could be a can of worms but here goes anyway.. . . .

I want to get a keyboard with reasonably weighted 61 keys and a synth module with 'audio in' that I can play with in combination in realtime.

I already have an RM1X for sequencing, plus Logic on my Mac - so a sequencer is not really necessary.

1) My first question relates to synth theory, and that is, what kind of sounds do I most want to feed from the keyboard to the synth module? It seems an already processed sound could just get really muddy [I am an electronic music neophyte so bear with me please.]

2) the answer to question one will help me choose: what kind of keyboard works best for driving a synth?? I like everything from Moby to Enya, Pink Floyd, Loreena McKennitt, and some world trance type sounds a la the Trance Planet series from the 90s.

3) what kind of synth model would best compliment such a keyboard.

As a songwriter, the overall sound needs to compliment voice, but a bit of edginess in the sound works best with my voice. [I have a Korg X5D and it sxxxs]

61 keys are essential because I plan to look in the US and have sent to me in Australia. A 61 key keyboard is the longest that can be shipped by USPS into Australia. Any longer, and my shipping costs triple.

I am looking for used gear and my budget is around $1000.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It sounds like your talking about somehow playing the synth module by feeding "audio" from another keyboard synth into some sort of audio input on the synth module. And then the two sounds would morph together? Unless I'm missing something, your question doesn't make rational sense because synth modules aren't driven by an audio signal....
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
It sounds like your talking about somehow playing the synth module by feeding "audio" from another keyboard synth into some sort of audio input on the synth module. And then the two sounds would morph together? Unless I'm missing something, your question doesn't make rational sense because synth modules aren't driven by an audio signal....
I am assuming there is a midi connection linking these two. The keyboard is midi master, and the analogue output from the keyboard would also be fed into the module for processing by the modules' filters and fx. I am aware that some synth modules have this feature, the Waldorf Micro Q for example.

My question relates to a search for a keyboard and module pairing that are complimentary in this regard.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want a keyboard that does stuff that a micro q does then why not just get a waldorf q?
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
If you want a keyboard that does stuff that a micro q does then why not just get a waldorf q?
Firstly, and sadly, I have never seen a Waldorf Q for anywhere near my budget limit, but that is only part of my query.
I want a keyboard that will drive a Waldorf module, or whatever, and that will add to the sound scape possibilities.
For example, I am thinking that an analogue organ or string sound from an external source would be tweaked live via the module to make something new.

So my question is 'what combination of keyboard and module would be complimentary?'.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

So you want any rack mount synth that has midi and audio in?
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
So you want any rack mount synth that has midi and audio in?
Yes! And a keyboard to augment and drive it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

So why not get a micro q and what ever synth you want. It doesnt really matter. As long as it has midi or cv or some way of controlling your micro q. Maybe a korg triton or trinity. They go for pretty cheap.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Behringer UMX 610 (slightly less than $200) + Yamaha Motif XS rack (about $800 used.)
Old 13th September 2011
I don't think the Yamaha has audio in and I have yet to see one for less than $1000.

I found/bought a minty Ensoniq TS 12 with 76 nicely weighted keys- so happiness has come to my fingers, but I only have $370 left for a module.

It looks like my budget is shot anyway - isn't that always the case?!!

Anything better than the MircoQ for the price?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrand View Post
I don't think the Yamaha has audio in and I have yet to see one for less than $1000.

I found/bought a minty Ensoniq TS 12 with 76 nicely weighted keys- so happiness has come to my fingers, but I only have $370 left for a module.

It looks like my budget is shot anyway - isn't that always the case?!!

Anything better than the MircoQ for the price?
Sorry, didn't notice the "audio in" requirement.
Old 13th September 2011
Any love for the Novation A station against the Micro Q?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search