The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Musical question
Old 10th September 2011

Musical question

More of a musical question than a gear questions, amateur here!

I'm trying to add a little electronic stems or synth to what is essentially a distorted guitar driven hard rock style track.

To put it bluntly, everything I've done so far sounds crap. The mix sounds good with synths turned off, and vice versa it sounds okay with guitars off and just synths against the rythym track. Combined it sounds like an utter mess.

Is there anyway to sort this out without ending up with a 'stop-start' punctuated type of style which is usual to electronic rock. I would really rather not take away from the flow of the guitars. Having the synths a little bit more 'punctuated' is an option I guess....

It all sounded good in my head but the reality is a little different.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

errr, try the synths an octave above the guitar? change the filter on teh synth? pan the synth and guitars differently. just play about, if it still sounds **** then try something else
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

What's the signal path of the guitar? Give us specifics, ie what brand/model of guitar, effects, amp, mic, adc, daw or recorder, etc. Same for the synth.

I could probably get into more detail with the above info, but right off you should focus on giving each instrument its own sonic space.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Please post both versions for the most accurate assistance possible.

Sound describes sound much better than words!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search