The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suggestions on spending up to $4,000 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Suggestions on spending up to $4,000

Sold some gear and have money burning a hole in my pocket and I want to grab something before unforeseen bills come by and deplete my instrument funds. Thats happened before. I'd rather spend between $2-3,000 but would go a little more. Just curious what you guys might suggest. Heres what I have already.

Waldorf Blofeld
Roland Juno 60
Korg MonoPoly

Theres an Xpander XP-1 for sale near me for about $2500. I've been considering a Prophet 5 Rev3. But I'm also wondering if maybe I should go for new synths like the Moog Voyager or maybe the new Oberheim Son of 4 Voice when it comes out. I feel like I have some good synths but I would like one top-notch synth.

Also how does the Xpander compare to the P5? Does it even compare? Or are they two completely different beasts? Are there any serious repair nightmares with the Xpander? Unavailable parts etc?

Any suggestions on which synth(s) would suit me best considering what I have already? Thanks
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
I would get a Korg Kronos. I bought one and it's superb. About $3K.
Old 10th September 2011
Deleted User
You can't go wrong with the classics: Moog, Oberheim,
Prophet (if you heading for analog gear).

I will have about $2000 to spend next month for sold gear (same situation as you - better to buy a good instrument instead of put money for the gear to the "black hole"). I have, among other hardware synths, a Voyager and Oberheim Xpander and I love them. A Prophet 08 is on my list of wishes so probably it will be so, but not 100% sure yet.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i was gonna say jupiter 6, prophet 5, if you saved up a little more, memorymoog...numerous oberheims you could probably afford in that range too, obxa/ob8/matrix 12/xpander **** maybe even an obx if you can find one

or the new SO4V, i'm also kinda interested in that one, always loved how the original four voice sounded.
Old 10th September 2011
Secondhand Serge system - two m-odules plus case and PSU will cost around 4K.
Get the Creature and something else or go straight for the animoo/animal.
Old 10th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
...the new SO4V, i'm also kinda interested in that one, always loved how the original four voice sounded.
Agree
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

The xpander is really good. Just make sure you are getting the US version. They seem to have fewer issues. There are not many issues with them. The only ones i have heard of are jumpy encoders, just test it out first to make sure they are fine. It is not common but the screens can die. They are not made anymore except by some company but they are kinda pricy. If my memory is correct some xpanders, mainly the japanese version, have problems with there cem 3374. All of these issues are not really common tho. I havent had any issues with mine and they are supposed to be pretty sturdy.

The voyager is good too. Not really to much to say here. I you could get a mini i would go with that instead.

I wouldnt really compare the p5 to the xpander. I think they are really different. The p5 is more of an aggressive synth. the xpander is better for strange sounds and ethereal pads cause its modulation matrix

The son of 4 voice looks cool too. I personally am gonna wait till i can find a used one. I personally am not a big fan of buying things new and watching their value fade away.

The serge isnt a bad idea. That is if you are in to modulars.

There is an old 2 voice on ebay right now that might be worth a look.
Suggestions on spending up to ,000Oberheim 2 Voice Analog Synth TVS-1 with mini-sequencer | eBay
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Andromeda a6, prices aint going down...

Sent from my PG06100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

if I had to spend 4000 Euros on synths tomorrow, I'd get a Nordlead and a Voyager.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think I'd just get a voyager XL if you were going for analog...

Or id buy a badass computer if you don't already have one...

Or I'd spend about 2k i'n room treatment and get some goodies like a dope desk or furniture or sick lighting
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
I think I'd just get a voyager XL if you were going for analog...
Forget that,.if you want a voyager you can just get a voyager then just get the expanders and pocket the left over 1500 or what ever the remainder is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search