The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Camel Alchemy or Gladiator 2 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Camel Alchemy or Gladiator 2

I know these synth vs synth threads can be redundant, but I'm really having a hard time figuring out which one of these synths is better/preferred.

I am working mostly with dance music. I have heard many great things about Alchemy. I also know some musicians (bassnectar, skrillex) use Gladiator 2, but I barely/never see it Gladiator mentioned in forums. My concerns are, Alchemy look very complex and could be difficult to get a feel for; and Gladiator at times seems to sounds like nothing special from what if heard. I have been on a new synth hunt and these two seem to be my finally contenders. I would really appreciate some help.

P.S. And if its any help, Currently in my synth collection is: Absynth, FM8, Massive, Pro 53, Reaktor 5, Subboombass, Zebra, Z3ta, Albino3 and Nexus (would Alchemy or Gladiator offer me anything exceptionally new or am I pretty much covered synth wise?)
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

bump
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Really dude bumping your own questions after 7 min?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Alchemy, no contest. Yes, it's complex and very powerful, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to program it. Every time I have to create a patch ex novo, Alchemy is my go-to synth. And I do own the "big boys" like Omnisphere, Absynth and Reaktor, but Alchemy is a lot more intuitive and it's a lot easier to get exactly what you're looking for.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have both...they're both very capable. Gladiator is "colder," but has a rather vast modulation array. Alchemy has more in common with Massive, and has a lot of organic sounding movement. I heard a rumor that Alchemy will be upgraded with real FM...looking forward to that.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

You mention Bassnectar and Skrillex; the Tone2 synths (Gladiator 2 and ElectraX) will get you a lot closer to their sound, which is unabashedly digital.

Alchemy excels as a creative sampler, and it's VA side is much more warm and analog-ish. The VA is great, but, I think the all the additive/granular/spectral capabilities are what make it awesome.

I think ElectraX is even better than Gladiator2 for the type of music you mentioned, as it does wavetable (like Massive), VA, FM, sampling/re-sampling and has some nasty distortions. FWIW, I use Gladiator2, Alchemy and ElectraX all the time, but lately, mostly ElectraX...it's probably the best sounding synth I use right now.
Old 10th September 2011
TWD
Here for the gear

Gladiator is very digital, but it's great for making unique sounds. My favorite part is the chord mod you can put on the oscillators. It gives you chords, but it generates them with its HCM synthesis. It gives the sound a strange quality that you can't get any other way. Check out the Pads - Chdex preset for instance. HCM also allows you to create unique wobbles. Hence why I assume Skrillex likes it.

However, it does not create very warm sounds. I would not use it for energetic leads. You need something a bit more analog for that (I use sylenth for that).
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alchemy for sure.

A little video I made for just the Alchemy Player. Full version is insane.

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alchemy is awesome but as you already have a ton if synths I'd suggest exploring more what you've already got.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

if I'm not mistaken, alchemy has a demo you can install and play with?
that would probably help more than asking the internet could.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Alchemy is great, easy to learn

However with the synths you've got you don't really need it

Superstringz - Evolver (Radio Edit) - Gung Ho! Recordings - YouTube
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

It seems from what you guys are saying that they're both good, just in different ways. Maybe I'll get just them both, you can never have too many synths!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4nd View Post
It seems from what you guys are saying that they're both good, just in different ways. Maybe I'll get just them both, you can never have too many synths!
I have a buttload also, but the one I don't have that i really like is called Discovery Pro...basically a virtual Nord Lead x. Sick.

discoDSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Discovery Pro
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you really derailing this thread after 13 minutes? If you have nothing to contribute then.... gtfo

Bumping your own thread after 7minutes is lol-worthy, he called you out on it, its the internet, deal with it...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
Alchemy is awesome but as you already have a ton if synths I'd suggest exploring more what you've already got.
Always good advice. That said, would love to hear your impressions of each if you end up getting both.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Gladiator is awseome, but if you can only pick one, my pick is Alchemy, hands-down. If you're into minimal or fidget house, alchemy is an excellent mangler for your drumloops. Import the WAV file, then use alchemy's myriad features to twist it to hell and back. Don't forget the Macro controls (similar to massive)...route those to as many paramaters as you like then automate them in your DAW for some twisted fidget style mashups .
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

If you want sample import, there's only one answer: Alchemy.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alchemy is a lot of fun. Especially with the Macro knobs you can have some fun morphing with those.

But If you want dance type stuff, it seems like ElectraX would better suit your needs. I think it has some sort of Unison mode that Gladiator does not, relating itself to leads and basses more.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

looks like I'll be checking out ElectraX also
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know these synth vs synth threads can be redundant, but I'm really having a hard time figuring out which one of these synths is better/preferred.

I am working mostly with dance music. I have heard many great things about Alchemy. I also know some musicians (bassnectar, skrillex) use Gladiator 2, but I barely/never see it Gladiator mentioned in forums. My concerns are, Alchemy look very complex and could be difficult to get a feel for; and Gladiator at times seems to sounds like nothing special from what if heard. I have been on a new synth hunt and these two seem to be my finally contenders. I would really appreciate some help.

P.S. And if its any help, Currently in my synth collection is: Absynth, FM8, Massive, Pro 53, Reaktor 5, Subboombass, Zebra, Z3ta, Albino3 and Nexus (would Alchemy or Gladiator offer me anything exceptionally new or am I pretty much covered synth wise?)
Alchemy has two modes, simple mode where only the performance page is displayed ( ADSR , 8 performance knobs , 2 XY morph pads, and the morph pad) using this mode you do not even need to read the manual. And advanced mode which is complex yet very logical frormed, which will need to fully read the manual and months if not years to fully explore and explore.

So it can be either way you want it to be. Alchemy forces nothing down your throat, pretty much everything is optional. And contrary to what someone may believe, simple mode is more that enough to design and shape very interesting sounds.

Other than that, there is a huge array of great soft synth out there, Alchemy is not the first nor the last.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search