The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fair Price for a Microwave XT Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Fair Price for a Microwave XT

There's one on eBay now, BIN for $995 OBO.

The last couple (aside from the broken one that went for $360) have gone for $599.

I think I'll pass on this one. But realistically, what can I expect to pay if it's a good deal?

Thanks.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix224 View Post
There's one on eBay now, BIN for $995 OBO.

The last couple (aside from the broken one that went for $360) have gone for $599.

I think I'll pass on this one. But realistically, what can I expect to pay if it's a good deal?

Thanks.
I think $650-$725 is the going range for one in fair working condition (no jumpy encoders). I paid $650 on eBay for one within the past year, but had to return it because of jumping issues on the filter frequency encoder; I'm about to pick up a minty one for around $700 with no encoder issues. When you consider what they went for new, I think these are pretty fair prices. The Rogue Music eBay auction's BIN price is way too high, IMO... it reminds me of the XTk auction I saw recently with a BIN of over $2k - way too much, given supply and demand.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I think $650-$725 is the going range for one in fair working condition (no jumpy encoders). I paid $650 on eBay for one within the past year, but had to return it because of jumping issues on the filter frequency encoder; I'm about to pick up a minty one for around $700 with no encoder issues. When you consider what they went for new, I think these are pretty fair prices. The Rogue Music eBay auction's BIN price is way too high, IMO... it reminds me of the XTk auction I saw recently with a BIN of over $2k - way too much, given supply and demand.
Thanks. I thought the price was too high, but needed a second opinion.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix224 View Post
Thanks. I thought the price was too high, but needed a second opinion.
I just sold mine on ebay for $800 last month.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i have a uwave xt. board version 3. no bubble screen over the display..weird non-cylindrical knobs

my other synths are 2 different analog mono synths. a future retro xs and tom oberheim patch panel sem.. both of which i have to run through an eventide eclipse so they can compete with the micrwave XT... which is also a polysynth.. yet digital...

having this orange beast... i've never cared if the synth was digital or analog... i love analog for a few specific reasons... maybe more when i actually think about it... i'm probably just in love with synths in general..

but lets put it into simple $ terms.. FR XS is $1,000 used... eventide eclipse 1,200... SEM $800... the FR XS +clipse or SEM+eclipse can compete with the XT....i wouldn't say the combination of either could surpass it.. hell.. sem and xs plus eventide may not trump the XT...

the microwave XT is just fun and intuitive to program. the sound is what it is all about though.. and it is just powerful.. cutting... or precise.. vast and airy.. or whatever adjective you can think off... the modulation matrix and default wavetables alone provide you with a palate that will show you hues you never knew existed

the XT really blows everything else i have away... it is a joy to program and is mindblowingly kickass at dynamic performance and live playing.. i have a really nice keyboard with modwheels, pitch bend, aftertouch, sustain pedal and VC modulation amount pedal... the modulation matrix.. with all the available inputs like velocity and **** make the synth so responsive to playing... that it leads to the design of new sounds... and new sounds lead to new ways of playing

i'll never get rid of my XT.. or anything.. but my XT is my most favored synth... and i think it is easily worth over $1,000... and it is only the 10 voice.. i can't think of what i'd replace it with.. an actual waldorf wave... ofcourse.. i'd like to get a microwave 1 though or the 30 voice expansion for my XT

anyway.. drunk... rambling.. love this orange ****er... and want a green microwave1... that green would be so kickass below the orange in the rack

here is a track with the microwave xt.. the distorted clavinet sound

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i also wanted to add.. that owning an orange XT... i will definitely also own a microwave XT shadow.. the black/gred one... one of the most beautiful synths imo next to the syrinx and spirit

anyone rmember what reznor's shadow XTK sold for? wasn't it 1 of 2? very limited if not one of a kind if i recall
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

What,s the going price for a XTK? Don,t see them much these days?

LK
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
but had to return it because of jumping issues on the filter frequency encoder

hi, i have the same issue on mine, but kept to have no more hassle and because the filter can be routed to the softknob near the display.

anyways do you have an idea if it's possible to fix?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
hi, i have the same issue on mine, but kept to have no more hassle and because the filter can be routed to the softknob near the display.
Sorry, haven't got the manual handy - but how do you route the filter to another knob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
i also wanted to add.. that owning an orange XT... i will definitely also own a microwave XT shadow.. the black/gred one... one of the most beautiful synths imo next to the syrinx and spirit

anyone rmember what reznor's shadow XTK sold for? wasn't it 1 of 2? very limited if not one of a kind if i recall
One like these? heh

...and i think (but am not sure) that they made 666 of the black ones - but that could be internet myth...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Sorry, haven't got the manual handy - but how do you route the filter to another knob?
hi, well it's not really routing.

in the sound section , pressing the "recall" button to filter 1, the settings of it are shown in the display and assigned to the 4 knobs under it.

even having two filters, the red cutoff knob actually modifies only filter 1

so every time i just press few buttons and use the knob under the display...

that dark one is so hott!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
hi, well it's not really routing.

in the sound section , pressing the "recall" button to filter 1, the settings of it are shown in the display and assigned to the 4 knobs under it.

even having two filters, the red cutoff knob actually modifies only filter 1
Thx a lot
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Just picked up a Microwave XT from eBay. Perfect Circuit Audio had one for $799.

I am so psyched to dive into this synth! I really needed a good digital board.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

My favorite Microwave XT trick: Use a poly aftertouch keyboard like an Ensoniq and route filter cutoff and wavetable sweep to polypressure.

Madness!

It's a great compliment to real analogs in your setup. Although it can sound very analog almost no one I know uses it like it was a virtual analog.

Two words of advice:

1) Get a proper power supply and don't skimp. 9VDC center positive and 1000mA *minimum*. Skimp on the amperage at your peril. Your XT will do all sorts of glitchy things (and not good glitchy things) with current below 1000mA.

2) Upgrade the OS at your peril. It's far too easy to screw it up. Waldorf also has no documentation on just what was changed with various revisions. If your XT is doing what you need it to do without bugs then resist the temptation to upgrade.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Al this XT talk has really made me miss my XT. I only sold it due to money. I will say it was one of my favorite synths that I had and it's sound was like non other.
Here is my baby that i just sold, maybe Ill find another one soon.

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very timely thread.

There's a MWXT on my local craiglist for $1100. I asked the seller if this was the 10- or 30-voice model, and he wrote back suggesting that this was an idiotic question. I then expressed my view that $1100 was probably too much for the 10 voice. This was his response:

Dude. How pathetic.

Is this just idle curiosity on your part because you have nothing better to do on a Friday night--or are you really looking to buy one? Because it sounds like:
--you know all about them,
--you know how much they're "worth,"
--are all hot and bothered to dink around on one and maybe even learn how to cycle through the presets by twirling the Big Red Knob.

Before you criticize my asking price, you must first understand the fundamentals of economics and the free enterprise system in general: that any item's "worth" is merely what one is willing to pay for it -- led by supply and demand. I am so sorry that I don't have much time at the moment to explain this to you or reply to the inane email I'm sure you'll think about spewing (but won't receive). May I suggest Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations?"

Also, please note that I never said the price for this item was "firm," only that I wouldn't be selling it to a shmoe. You hereby qualify for that designation, even if you are willing to pay my price.

In the spirit of the Free Enterprise and Capitalist system, please, be my guest and buy one at the price YOU set. I just saw one on ebay with a broken knob for $1000 plus shipping...a totally broken one recently sold for $367. One a while back sold for $1150. Another one for $850.

I later discovered who the seller was (he included his name in the email). When I tell you guys, you're not going to believe it. It's almost too good to be true...
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
I later discovered who the seller was
come on! Who?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
yeah, who?!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

About 2 years I got my XT for $400 from a friend who worked at a local music chain. He wasn't using it, but he knew what it typically was worth (in the $600 range) but preferred someone had it that would enjoy and use it. The same month a Blofeld and a Yamaha CS-10 came my way. I hardly touched the Blofeld.

The Blofeld sort of caused the XT and Microwave II prices to dip for a bit but when it became apparent the Blo wasn't a complete replacement for the XT they seemed to stabilize around $600-800. The voice expansion boards are so rare you are better off looking for a factory installed 30 voice XT.

The XTK is a whole different story. I've seen them practically given away for $700 and I've seen the Waldorf mailing list all buzzing at how $2000 was too much for one. There's one on my local CL for $1200 and that seems about right though still maybe a little too high. As a comparison the quite rare uQ keyboard version runs usually about 2x the price of the rack uQ. I'm not sure if the stigma of the XTK aftertouch bug makes the prices more volatile or if it's something else. The bug is really only relevant if you plan to use the XTK as a controller.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Maybe you guys should see if you can buy a European version... It's not unusual for the 10 voice to go for less then 400 euro.. just sold mine for 375. And I bought the black 30 voice version for a little bit more then 600..
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, who!? Sean Hannity? Rush Limbaugh? Ted Nugent?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

The good thing is there's enough XT's floating around there if you can find one without looking too much. It's not crazy rare like an Ensoniq Fizmo.

@Jebec: the one you just sold is a variation that I haven't seen yet. Nextel (fluffy) paint with LCD bubble and thin knobs (cutoff knob black). Typically the thin knobs show up on the darker orange regular paint version. I wonder if knobs on that were switched or replaced at some point.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i you think the XT sucks
then
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinamusic View Post
Haha, don't buy from Uncle Ted. The synth will have bullet holes in it! heh

I am guessing this is the ad:

Waldorf Microwave XT

Lately I saw the XT (10-voice) fetching prices between $800 and $900. The times when you could get one in the $500-$600 range are over. Last night there was a XT for $800 BIN on the bay. This morning it was gone.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

BTW, has anyone ever seen the wood side option for the Microwave XT rack?

Waldorf's press literature mentions it as an option but I've never seen or heard about it.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Mark E. Smith?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Haha, don't buy from Uncle Ted. The synth will have bullet holes in it! heh
or broken arrows :D

I lurvvv my XT. I agree too that in spite of its digital sound it can sound the sine and square waves along with some modulation result in some really warm analog-y sounds, a bit clean, but warm. I bought mine new back in the day and at the time I wasn't sure if I should spend the extra cash on the voice expansion, but am glad I did shell out for 30-voices as I do a lot of evolving pads with long decays.

Funny ad. Not a bad idea to ask for a favorite band reference. I do wonder who would leave such a response like that though... bizarre. Can we get any hints? When you tease us like this it reminds me of when I saw an Xpander on eBay awhile back and the seller stated something like "this unit was owned by a very famous electronic musician but I will not say who it is so don't ask".
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
or broken arrows :D

I lurvvv my XT. I agree too that in spite of digital it can sound the sine and square waves along with some modulation result in some really warm analog-y sounds, a bit clean, but warm. I bought mine new back in the day and at the time I want sure if I should spend the extra cash on the voice expansion, but am glad I did shell out for 30-voices as I do a lot of evolving pads with long decays.
I am an original owner too. Bought it brand new when it came out. That was way before the voice expansion was released. I do have however some mixed feelings about the XT. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't. Bummer, I should have bought the voice expansion.

Quote:
Funny ad. Not a bad idea to ask for a favorite band reference.
I do ask for a local phone number and/or address. Anything that does not contain indication that the email is from a local person, I delete. If they cannot read and understand my ad, it is their loss.

Quote:
I do wonder who would leave such a response like that though... bizarre.
I will not judge until I have seen/read both emails in full length and the original ad.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
Al this XT talk has really made me miss my XT. I only sold due to money. I will say it was one of my favorite synths that I had and it's sound was like non other.
Here is my baby that i just sold, maybe Ill find another one soon.
JEBEQ, I'm the guy who bought your Microwave XT rack last month. What a great piece! I own a Microwave 1 revision A as well, and they're very complimentary to each other.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPuzo View Post
come on! Who?
Edgar Froese.

I couldn't quite place the name, but I thought it rung a bell, so I googled it. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that I had inadvertently infuriated one of the true pioneers of electronic music.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Edgar Froese.

I couldn't quite place the name, but I thought it rung a bell, so I googled it. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that I had inadvertently infuriated one of the true pioneers of electronic music.
You can be both an electronic music pioneer and a short-tempered ******.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search