The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there such thing as a MIDI foot controller for velocity? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Is there such thing as a MIDI foot controller for velocity?

I don't mean the switch type controller. I mean more the wah-wah pedal type, something you can rock back and forth to control the velocity of samples.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you plugged an expression pedal into the synth and routed it to the volume that could work?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

But that would just change the volume, not the velocity.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

this has got to be possible in something with sustain/expression pedal and creative mapping.

It's unfortunate that I'm dumb as fvck or I'd think of how.

if you're using Ableton, you can use the velocity plug.
(assign the out-hi to the pedal)
(haven't tried this yet, wrong room, might be bull****, should work (intheory)
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are several ways to do this, depending on the synth - and also depending on exactly what you mean by 'controlling sample velocity'. Do you mean the way velocity is often used to switch between mellow/brighter/brightest samples of each note? For starters, note that velocity is just another control signal that can be used for just about anything. In some sample-based synth's it may seem to be 'hard wired' to switch between sample sets so that harder velocities trigger a different (harder/brighter/etc) sample, but there could be lots of ways to change that.

Depending on the synth, you could:

1. Set velocity to max regardless of how fast you actually press a key, and then route it through a spare VCA before it gets sent to it's destination (sample velocity switching) and control that VCA with a pedal.

2. Route a pedal to a S/H input and use KYBD gate to trigger the S/H, and route the S/H output to act as a sample velocity input.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Isn't velocity usually part of a note on message ?
How do you send velocity without sending a note value ?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

possibly. though it looks like you would have to have a pedal which generates a CC somehow. then have that routed to this unit as well.

MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter; MIDI Velocity Processor
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

It sounds like my UniTrigger CV-to-MIDI converter may do what you want.
Electrongate UniTrigger
The trigger input is velocity sensitive and should work fine with a footpedal.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Kontakt can assign the signal from an expression pedal attached to your keyboard controller to any CC #. In fact there are some libraries (The Trumpet, The Saxophone, The Trombone etc.) that don't even work if they don't receive discrete CC values from a foot or breath controller.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

I don't think any of the last 3 replies refer to what you're looking for. MIDI velocity is part of the note on/off message, it's not a CC, so I doubt it can be converted to easily. You do realise that velocity is per note, so anything you do with a foot controller will affect all notes playing equally.

Are you sure want to affect sample velocity - what exactly do you mean by that? Volume/filter characteristics, sample switching - what exactly? Most of these characteristics could be mapped to CCs directly, velocity is just one way of controlling them.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

maybe the Moog MP-201 can do it. not sure though.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity, I just tried using a Nord Modular G2 to do the ideas that I suggested above and they both work. Of course the G2 doesn't use samples so you can't route the velocity to switch between sample sets, but the concept is still valid and yo can effectively 'replace' actual note velocity with data from a foot controller and route it to anything that the velocity data would have been routed to. Again, it just depends on the synth and whether it has the flexibility to allow this kind of patching.

But I'm curious - why do you want to do this? What effect are you trying to accomplish? There may be an easier way to do what you want that will work on less versatile synths.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have also tested the Ableton solution I posted and it works perfectly as well!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search