The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new vintage synths Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

new vintage synths

I purchased an AX60 on Ebay, and to my surprise, it just arrived NEW in its box. It looks like the seller opened it just to take pictures before retaping it. Anyone have any experiences like this? I'm afraid to play it.

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

You're afraid to play it? No offense, but it's a very low value keyboard (a few hundred bucks) and ... it's an Akai lol, just play it.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru
one of the best synths ever made...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
You're afraid to play it? No offense, but it's a very low value keyboard (a few hundred bucks) and ... it's an Akai lol, just play it.
It's not low-value at all. You'll be lucky to find one for less than €500.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
That's...low value for a "vintage" synth, imo. Just found one on Craigslist near me used for $400 and comes with other gear. Regardless of price, what would be your reason to not use a keyboard like this?
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's...low value for a "vintage" synth, imo. Just found one on Craigslist near me used for $400 and comes with other gear. Regardless of price, what would be your reason to not use a keyboard like this?
I hate when things are mint, because I don't want to be responsible for unminting them!

I'm half-joking, I'm going to play the **** out of it. I was just wondering if it's common to find new old stock items like this.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
€500 is a lot of money...it's close to Polysix and Prophet-600 value nowadays.

Low value for me would be the sub-€300 range, which are mostly the knobless DCO synths like the Alpha Juno, Poly 800/61, JX-3P/8P etc.

Did Yamaha make any of those 80's DCO's? Can't think of one off the top of me head.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudez View Post
I purchased an AX60 on Ebay, and to my surprise, it just arrived NEW in its box. It looks like the seller opened it just to take pictures before retaping it. Anyone have any experiences like this? I'm afraid to play it.

you're the one who beat me. damn you. KHAAANNNNNNN!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sweet buy dude
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

After reading the thread title, I wanting to post that title is an oxymoron! Now it looks like I am the moron . Congrats to an awesome find!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I understand what your saying. This has happened to me a couple of times. I won an S-550 sampler for $40 that look liked it had never been touched. Same thing with an Ensoniq EPS. Brand new in the box with the factory wrapping. It's rare but it does happen.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

PS. i hope the caps all melt. you suck
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Are they really going for that much in Europe? I still see them in the $300-400 price range in the US, which makes them one of the last great bargain synths in my opinion.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
you're the one who beat me. damn you. KHAAANNNNNNN!
heh
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
PS. i hope the caps all melt. you suck
Jeepers, dude, I'm not who you think I am. I actually scored the buy-it-now auction before yours (for almost $160 less)!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jeepers, dude, I'm not who you think I am. I actually scored the buy-it-now auction before yours (for almost $160 less)!
No, you are the one. I went to get it and it was gone

I bid on the other one but it went to high for me. I just got a pro one and have no cash
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
No, you are the one. I went to get it and it was gone

I bid on the other one but it went to high for me. I just got a pro one and have no cash
Oh, ha. If it makes you feel any better, I was more entitled to it, because I actually asked the seller to put a buy-it-now price up.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, ha. If it makes you feel any better, I was more entitled to it, because I actually asked the seller to put a buy-it-now price up.
like i said, i hope the caps melt

where is the demo, why aren't you recording with it? i WANT to hear what i missed.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

So the seller kept the original box/packaging. How are the sliders? Are they still all smooth? I would guess the lube has dried up a bit. Great synth by the way. VCOs not DCOs, VCO to filter FM, and an arpeggiator with external trigger input. More interesting than a Juno. They ought to at least sell for what 106s go for...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
So the seller kept the original box/packaging. How are the sliders? Are they still all smooth? I would guess the lube has dried up a bit. Great synth by the way. VCOs not DCOs, VCO to filter FM, and an arpeggiator with external trigger input. More interesting than a Juno. They ought to at least sell for what 106s go for...
anyone want to trade a Juno 106 for an AX-60?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

While I agree it should fetch more than a Juno 106, I find them a bit of an ugly sounding synth...but better than the AX80.

I had a new-in-box Jupiter 8 that I sold a couple of years ago. Came from Japan, it was still sealed..I only unsealed it for the buyer when they came to pick it up.
Old 10th September 2011
That's awesome! AX60 is a nice synth, its not a Juno 60 but its great on its own merits.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

A few years ago I remember seeing a video somewhere (I think it was U Tube) someone bought an unopened Roland System 100 that someone else had purchased years before and never touched. It was amazing to see the guy opne the packages. Brans spanking new (well the electrolytes might have some issues). But a very rare occurrence.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
While I agree it should fetch more than a Juno 106, I find them a bit of an ugly sounding synth...but better than the AX80.
You find the AX-80 uglier?

interesting,,, I prefer the AX-80 but use the AX-60 still for the sole purpose of ugly..
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

These blow the very over rated Juno-106 out of the water. Lovely score! I really want another one of these.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

i don't get the juno love ...
most overrated synth aside from the 303 and minimoog.
so limited that everything sounds the same on a juno.

anyway enjoy the ax, much more synth than people around here give it credit for. so much closer in sound to a jupiter 6 that it is miles ahead of a juno...
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Bonus! Nice find. Love getting old synths in minty condition esp with box (a bit sad like that - Am I). Only had one or two come with boxes though, and certainly no 'virtually brand new' ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post

I had a new-in-box Jupiter 8 that I sold a couple of years ago. Came from Japan, it was still sealed..I only unsealed it for the buyer when they came to pick it up.
Had an AX80, think I'd prefer an AX80/60 over an over-rated 106 anyday. 106 just doesn't do anything at all for me, even though i used to think often about picking one up, always found the sound is just so........... meh - aside from some occasional PWM shenanigans that most synths with (and some without) can do just as well + more besides. J60 perhaps - even then... prefer polysix, DW-8000 (bit like a softer 2 osc juno 106 but with meaty filter), even JX-3P

Jupiter 8 brand new in box????? !!!! What were you doing it with it all these years? Was it a spare or a recent (at that time) purchase cheap to make profit? I hope you got a great price for it!!
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Akai build their stuff like a tank anyway, it's probably going to be pretty hard to break that thing, unless you ran it over with a bulldozer or drop it into the ocean. :D
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes the 106/60 is limited but that's not the point, in fact its not the point of any synth imho. The tone is the key factor. For example the ax60 could have every bell and whistle possible, but if you dont like it's inherant tone..its game over.

Cant stand the Jx-3p but I really like the Poly61 for that reason.

Yeh, the JP8 came from Japan to sell on. It sold for £7000. I offered it here to a couple of people.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
so limited that everything sounds the same on a juno.
i think that is a misconception - the percussive sounds on the 106 are not the same sounding as the pads or leads. don't use the chorus and you've stepped half way to a different sound right there.

the AX-60 is a much more raw sound overall and can get very wild and untamed. Roland kept things safe with their designs making things more musical. and creamy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search