The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This thought keeps me awake at night..... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 

This thought keeps me awake at night.....

Lately I can't stop thinking about how there has to be all sorts of vintage treasures wasting away in unknowing people's homes. A Jupiter 8 covered in books and papers in the house of an old women who: "used to play piano" or a OBX thoughtlessly discarded as an old clunker in someone's attic. Then these people kick the bucket and while the family is gutting the place these amazing pieces of gear land in the dump. It makes me sick and I can't sleep! Not because of the price they would sell for, i could care less about money. I just want to dig them out, clean them up, and hear them them sing.
Old 9th September 2011
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Due to the size and weight of them I'd imagine most people would see if they are worth anything or pass them on. It's the little mono synths, like 101, pro one, 303, wasp etc that are more likely to be thrown out as plastic junk.
Old 9th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
Lately I can't stop thinking about how there has to be all sorts of vintage treasures wasting away in unknowing people's homes. A Jupiter 8 covered in books and papers in the house of an old women who: "used to play piano" or a OBX thoughtlessly discarded as an old clunker in someone's attic. Then these people kick the bucket and while the family is gutting the place these amazing pieces of gear land in the dump. It makes me sick and I can't sleep! Not because of the price they would sell for, i could care less about money. I just want to dig them out, clean them up, and hear them them sing.
More likely would be to find a Hammond B-3 instead of a Jupiter-8. There's certainly lots of tales of mint condition organs being discovered. There really weren't that many synths made, especially when you consider they've been distributed around the world (sometimes more than once). You could spend a significant amount of your time going to garage sales, estate sales, etc hoping to find something, or just enjoy what you currently own and make music with that.
Old 9th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

^ true, i was really just naming them for examples. I know nothing of organs, which i'll agree seems more likely. That and the old plastic mono's as mentioned above. Still the thought
Old 9th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
metrosonus's Avatar
 

usually ronald macdonald throttling two, two stroke chainsaws above the abhorrent and ludicrous shape of my lavatory toilet out of which floats the melodious voice of jesse helms keeps me up at night.
Old 9th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
More likely would be to find a Hammond B-3 instead of a Jupiter-8. There's certainly lots of tales of mint condition organs being discovered. There really weren't that many synths made, especially when you consider they've been distributed around the world (sometimes more than once). You could spend a significant amount of your time going to garage sales, estate sales, etc hoping to find something, or just enjoy what you currently own and make music with that.
that sounds like you speak from experience...

my wife called me from a yard sale years ago - asked if i was still looking for a TB-303. i told her of course and she then laughed in my ear and said "if i saw one i'd sell it on eBay not give it to you!" and hung up.

she has some nice new coach bags, i wonder...

i need to lay off the GAS and make some music.
Old 9th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
dhollmusik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
Lately I can't stop thinking about how there has to be all sorts of vintage treasures wasting away in unknowing people's homes. A Jupiter 8 covered in books and papers in the house of an old women who: "used to play piano" or a OBX thoughtlessly discarded as an old clunker in someone's attic. Then these people kick the bucket and while the family is gutting the place these amazing pieces of gear land in the dump. It makes me sick and I can't sleep! Not because of the price they would sell for, i could care less about money. I just want to dig them out, clean them up, and hear them them sing.

At this stage I'd probably find me a girlfriend.
Old 9th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I am in the used stuff/ consignment/auction business. This happens all the time. I dont mean i find a lot of synths but, people bring things all day long and have no idea what they have. Just the other day a lady thought she had a box of silver plate stuff. When we were selling it we looked thru it and saw that it was sterling. The box had a melt value of about 4k. Needless to say she was thrilled when she got her check. But anyways. For the most part people dont know or dont even care what they have.
Old 9th September 2011
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
usually ronald macdonald throttling two, two stroke chainsaws above the abhorrent and ludicrous shape of my lavatory toilet out of which floats the melodious voice of jesse helms keeps me up at night.
I don't know who it was that told you PCP helps you sleep but they were WRONG!

Anyway, OP, I used to have the same thought 10 or 15 years ago but now everyone takes any old junk they find and they scan eBay to see if its worth anything. I've seen countless eBay listings where its obvious that someone is selling some synth from a studio that their relative So and So had, hasnt been used in 25 years but a tech checked it out and it works blah blah. eBay is the death of good synth deals. I just wish I hadnt been such an ADD teenager who spent half his money on weed back in the 90's hahaha.

Actually though, here in Taiwan I am convinced there are some of those Electones with the CS-80 filters lying around someone. They love Electones here.
Old 9th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

I'm a guitarist first and foremost, and i used to have some fantasy of walking into some pawn shop/car boot/garage sale and finding a 1962 strat £200/$200. Now it's a Jupiter 8/CS80. Oh, how people change.
Old 9th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
At this stage I'd probably find me a girlfriend.
Rather listen to synths than someone complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 View Post

Anyway, OP, I used to have the same thought 10 or 15 years ago but now everyone takes any old junk they find and they scan eBay to see if its worth anything.
Exactly, i hate ebay for single handedly defining the value of everything these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I'm a guitarist first and foremost, and i used to have some fantasy of walking into some pawn shop/car boot/garage sale and finding a 1962 strat £200/$200. Now it's a Jupiter 8/CS80. Oh, how people change.
Strange, when I was a guitar player I never had these thoughts.
Old 10th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

I think it would be stranger if we both had the same dream/fantasy, actually
Old 10th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
Lately I can't stop thinking about how there has to be all sorts of vintage treasures wasting away in unknowing people's homes. A Jupiter 8 covered in books and papers in the house of an old women who: "used to play piano" or a OBX thoughtlessly discarded as an old clunker in someone's attic. Then these people kick the bucket and while the family is gutting the place these amazing pieces of gear land in the dump. It makes me sick and I can't sleep! Not because of the price they would sell for, i could care less about money. I just want to dig them out, clean them up, and hear them them sing.
Or a snotty trust fund kid with a modular or Synthex on youtube making beep beep noises along with an 808 or 909.

Or some shiny young thing hipster in a indie band rolling out a big modular on Top of Pops to make a flute sound you could get on an ARP Pro Soloist.
Old 10th September 2011
  #14
Gear Head
 
Roboticefx's Avatar
 

I think that with the number of TV shows about people discovering valuables in old run down houses, or shows where people get items appreciated, you're more likely to have somebody try and sell you an old Casio with speakers as premium "vintage gear".
Old 10th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
I remember seeing a pile of Jupiters all models 4, 6, & 8 about 25-30 of them in a corner of an old synth shop in Denver, CO "Keyboard Exchange" of course the owner knew what he had but they weren't that much used back then - maybe $1200-1500 for an JP-8!

Wonder where they all went after he died and the place closed. Ed had rooms of old gear, Obi, Hamond, Fender, SC, EMU, Moog, etc.
Old 10th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I just take a coupla aspirin when I have insomnia and looping neurotic thoughts. Usually works, too! Must reduce brain inflammation or something.
Old 10th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboticefx View Post
I think that with the number of TV shows about people discovering valuables in old run down houses, or shows where people get items appreciated, you're more likely to have somebody try and sell you an old Casio with speakers as premium "vintage gear".
Dead on. Except antiques roadshow is nothing new.
Old 10th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytranzmit View Post
Due to the size and weight of them I'd imagine most people would see if they are worth anything or pass them on. It's the little mono synths, like 101, pro one, 303, wasp etc that are more likely to be thrown out as plastic junk.
I always tell family members who frequent second hand shops to keep an eye out for old gear. I promise a finder's reward. I tell them to call me if they see a keyboard that:

1. Doesn't have speakers.
2. Doesn't have button labeled 'Rumba'.
3. Has knobs or sliders (not buttons).
4. It smells like cigarettes.
5. It weighs more than their first car.

However, I've found some amazing deals via lazy people. I figure if they don't take the time to type two words into Google then I should feel no guilt hauling off that heavy old smelly thing that doesn't sound like a piano at all and that his kids never play anyway.

As I loaded a Juno 106 into my car last summer the guy said, "gee, you really seem to know a lot about these things. What do you think it's really worth?"

"Well, a little more than the $50 bill I just gave you but don't worry, I'm going to keep it. Thanks!"

Vrrroooooom!
Old 10th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Or a snotty trust fund kid with a modular or Synthex on youtube making beep beep noises along with an 808 or 909.

Or some shiny young thing hipster in a indie band rolling out a big modular on Top of Pops to make a flute sound you could get on an ARP Pro Soloist.
Franc! My brother from another mother! Always good to see someone sharing the same thoughts as me....

Regards,
Frank
Old 10th September 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
L-feld's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
Dead on. Except antiques roadshow is nothing new.
You have no idea. My fiancee's family runs an auction house and she is one of the antique appraisers. She gets so many obnoxious people coming in with junk that they think is worth a fortune.

That said, they did get a minimoog from an estate a few years back. It only went for about $500. It was a few months before we started dating, though.
Old 26th October 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Franc! My brother from another mother! Always good to see someone sharing the same thoughts as me....

Regards,
Frank
Hi Frank!

Not to hijack the thread but I was watching this video with a fellow pisan from Brooklyn and a keyboard player. Jimmy Destri aka James Mollica.

Blondie - In The Sun - YouTube

A few of the songs on the first album were great like In The Sun, X Offender. Destri, Clem Burke on drums (a mod - great drummer), Gary Valentine on bass and Debby.

Chris Stein not so much.

Jimmy is playing a Farfisa and a Roland SH 1000. The Roland almost falls off at 1:35 love it. One of my faves to come out of NYC along with The Ramones. Did you or anyone here remember Our Daughters Wedding from NYC. I saw them open once for I think The Psychedelic Furs.

I bought the first Blondie album when it came out and was in high school. Take care.
Old 26th October 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

i was watching "american guns" on discovery channel and as part of the end of the episode they always go to a shooting range and destroy some targets.

needless to say, i was shocked when there was a hammond B3 sitting downrange, only to be taken out with a PINK machine gun.

i was downright pissed
Old 26th October 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post
You have no idea. My fiancee's family runs an auction house and she is one of the antique appraisers. She gets so many obnoxious people coming in with junk that they think is worth a fortune.

That said, they did get a minimoog from an estate a few years back. It only went for about $500. It was a few months before we started dating, though.
LOL! Sad. Really heart breaking.

I don't watch TV but sometimes watch when I visit my sister. Pawn Stars with Chumley and that sort of weird auction house show from Georgia. Funny how people think their junk is priceless and they get all pissed off when it isn't.
Old 26th October 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
metrosonus's Avatar
 

you can thank antique road show and our culture of getting something for nothing for that one.
Old 26th October 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
More likely would be to find a Hammond B-3 instead of a Jupiter-8. There's certainly lots of tales of mint condition organs being discovered. There really weren't that many synths made, especially when you consider they've been distributed around the world (sometimes more than once). You could spend a significant amount of your time going to garage sales, estate sales, etc hoping to find something, or just enjoy what you currently own and make music with that.
Apparently there is an Ebayer who finds Minimoogs on the cheap from scenarios exactly like the OP described. He gets them fixed and then sells them for top dollar.

if I ever found a Moog like that, I would offer the seller fair market value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 View Post
eBay is the death of good synth deals.
you're complaining because you have to pay fair market value for something?
Old 26th October 2011
  #26
Gear Addict
 

You want to hear a horror story? It's a good time of year for it.

I like going to junk shops. Not antique shops, but the really bad stuff, with the broken toys and tins and stuff. So, one day I happened across a junk store near a friend's place on the other end of town and was going through their piles of junk when I noticed an old console organ sitting in the back. I cleared some stuff off the top of it, and I didn't see much in the way of controls -- no rockers or drawbars or anything, so I figured it was a simple old electric harmonium or something. Still, I asked the cashier what they wanted for it and they said $100. I asked if it worked, and they said no. And so I told them good luck with it and, as I was leaving, asked what was wrong with it. "A few tapes need replacing", he said, and I left.

It was two weeks before it occurred to me what the hell I had done. And yes, it was sold the afternoon I saw it (it was a MK II).
Old 26th October 2011
  #27
Gear Head
 

I have this plastic toy piano sitting and gathering dust. It doesn't sound like a piano. I think it's broken. First, it makes buzzy sounds that get brighter or darker as I twist some knobs, really annoying. Another problem is that it responds only to one key at a time. It says 'sequenced cables' or 'the sequence of circuits' under the keys, something like that, don't remember exactly.

I'm not selling it because I probably wouldn't get more than £20 for it.
Old 27th October 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobleep View Post
I have this plastic toy piano sitting and gathering dust. It doesn't sound like a piano. I think it's broken. First, it makes buzzy sounds that get brighter or darker as I twist some knobs, really annoying. Another problem is that it responds only to one key at a time. It says 'sequenced cables' or 'the sequence of circuits' under the keys, something like that, don't remember exactly.

I'm not selling it because I probably wouldn't get more than £20 for it.
nah, i'll give you 500 quid for it.
Old 27th October 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobleep View Post
I have this plastic toy piano sitting and gathering dust. It doesn't sound like a piano. I think it's broken. First, it makes buzzy sounds that get brighter or darker as I twist some knobs, really annoying. Another problem is that it responds only to one key at a time. It says 'sequenced cables' or 'the sequence of circuits' under the keys, something like that, don't remember exactly.

I'm not selling it because I probably wouldn't get more than £20 for it.
Old 27th October 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
great video! in another clip, Wakeman says that 6 out of those 9 Moogs were stolen.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump