The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's with these crazy ebay listings? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

What's with these crazy ebay listings?

What's with these crazy ebay listings?Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 - Absolutely Mint! | eBay

What's with these crazy ebay listings?SENNHEISER VSM201 VINTAGE VOCODER EFFECT FX EMS SYNTH | eBay

What's with these crazy ebay listings?Arp 2600 & 3604P keyboard - RARE GREY MEANIE TONUS | eBay

there are others - a couple jupiters and other old Roland things.

Fake??
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would like the vocoder.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Lol..

It's the same seller as the DX1 post.. too funny.. all for $1800.. must be legit, I mean.. check out their feedback!!!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

this is probably the same scammer who just listed a Jupiter 8 for $1,500 BIN

that ad got yanked pretty fast
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

I almost fell for the Arp 2600 - but it is probably fake! The seller wanted me to contact him by e-mail (a 'gmail.com' address) and not through ebay. The seller replied and said that he wants the transaction to be handled by eBay so that it would be safe. Now why did he then want me to contact him directly? I got an "eBay buyer protection" invoice by e-mail, which looked like a real invoice, but the invoice was sent from "[email protected]", and buyer-help.com is a site "under construction". It started to stink so I didn't proceed with the transaction.

And I found this thread, which to me confirmed my suspicions. Thanks guys!

Last edited by kebu; 10th September 2011 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: wrote 'buyer' when I meant 'seller'
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
Lol..

It's the same seller as the DX1 post.. too funny.. all for $1800.. must be legit, I mean.. check out their feedback!!!!!
I think I get it now. The scammer has probably hacked an eBay user's account or aquired his username and password from somewhere.. That's why the scammer wants buyers to contact him through e-mail instead. Damn, I always thought the feedback system was safe. Now I known.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebu View Post
I think I get it now. The scammer has probably hacked an eBay user's account or aquired his username and password from somewhere.. That's why the scammer wants buyers to contact him through e-mail instead. Damn, I always thought the feedback system was safe. Now I known.
yep.. and considering pretty much all of the big ticket items are all $1800.

Also, the whole 'email me.... $1800' quote is one big JPEG picture.. not text which would be picked up with ebay bot's and flagged.

As I mentioned in another post... the best way to weed out the scammers is ask where they are located.. then whatever they answer, say you have a friend who lives close by, and can they come and pick it up and pay cash. After that all communication generally stops.

Another one is ask for another picture, one with today's paper.. but that won't always stop scams.. they could actually own the thing, but plan on ripping you off.

Paypal is your friend either way.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

The listing is now gone...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search