The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha DX1 on ebay is this a scam ?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yamaha DX1 on ebay is this a scam ?

There's this dx1 on ebay right now

Yamaha DX1 on ebay is this a scam ?Yamaha DX1 synthesizer w/ROM carts and manual synth DX7 | eBay

does it sound legit ? it's listed several times
Old 9th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by San01 View Post
There's this dx1 on ebay right now

Yamaha DX1 on ebay is this a scam ?Yamaha DX1 synthesizer w/ROM carts and manual synth DX7 | eBay

does it sound legit ? it's listed several times
seller has lots of feedback so it should be legit.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
yea... legit... riiiggghht.

So, why the F do they have that scammy line "Email me on bla bla" sale price is $1800 instead of a normal auction.
(Actually, I had a quick look.. all those bikes the seller is selling all sell for $1800 also.. must be a nice number)

This reeks of scam.. But for the lucky gambler, they may just end up with a DX1 for $1800.. (And maybe a few bikes too!)

Ask them if you can come around and pick it up & pay in person..
And if you don't live in near by, ask them if a friend can come around and purchase it on your behalf.

That generally sorts the scammers out.

As for feedback.. accounts get hacked.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

hacked account - the legit items are obvious.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why list it as an auction? If he wants to sell it at $1800 then he should use buy it now.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

hah, he's also selling a couple of cs-80s, a bunch of jupiter 8s, a synclavier, a few prophet 5s and like, 10 super high end sony CRT projectors, all starting at $99...yeah right. i think it's safe to say that's one mega-hacked account.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm fairly sure most of those pictures are of what is now my DX1.

They can be found here:

MATRIXSYNTH: Yamaha DX1 Video

Let's just say I am fairly sure why the back right-hand corner is not shown...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

...... aaaand presto! The item has suddenly been removed.....

Frikken crooks.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does anyone else hate the fact that these scammers are starting to have really good taste in gear?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ok, I knew something didn't sound right.

Instead of dX1, i might have a look at its bicycles
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Anytime you see an auction where the seller asks you to contact him off ebay (either calling a phone number or sending an email) for your special super-low price it's almost certainly a scam. Usually a check of the account's feedback will show lots of positive comments for sales of items that have nothing whatsoever to do with synths. If you have time report the auction to ebay.

What happens here is that the scammers use phishing emails to get passwords for ebay accounts with good feedback and then flood ebay with as many simultaneous tempting listings as they can manage. When you contact them you'll get some story about why the safest way for you to pay for the item is to send funds to their "ebay-approved" escrow company via Western Union.

Unfortunately funds wired by Western Union can easily be picked up anywhere in the world. All it takes is a few inexperienced ebay users to net one of these low-lifes a few thousand bucks for their trouble.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

I saw a CS80 for $1800 or something not a long time ago. I didn't have any doubt it was a scam. The whole auction sounded like a guy selling plasma TVs on the supermarket car park. So reeeetaaardeed. The pictures were taken from somewhere else as well. Not the actual item.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search