The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slim Phatties weak +/- Range on the LFO Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Slim Phatties weak +/- Range on the LFO

So that's one thing thats really annoying me about this little synth.

They give you this beautiful sounding sync, filter and OSC's that nicely merge into each other, but in the modulation section you cant push the +/- range of the LFO very far at all.

I can never get huge filter sweeps with the LFO or any sort of sync modulation that sounds big enough... Pretty annoying really.

Any other SP owner agree?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I find the voyager the same way. Much more limited modulation range than I would prefer. This is an attempt to make it easier to hit a good sweet spot, but the Andromeda has spoiled me with it's incredible mod depth range for everything.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

MG - are you saying the modulation depth of the VCF isn't deep enough? if that's the case, shouldn't it be simple matter of changing the input bias of the LFO to the filter? you need a larger voltage swing to get more depth.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd love it if the LFO could sweep through all the wave forms instead of just two. Oh well must be something to do with the analog domain
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
I'd love it if the LFO could sweep through all the wave forms instead of just two. Oh well must be something to do with the analog domain
what, huh? i don't understand your comment - sweep through the waveforms?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you don't like the mod range on the Voyager you can use the cp 251 to speed it up or slow it down... if you're talking amplitude, just adjust the attenuators
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
what, huh? i don't understand your comment - sweep through the waveforms?
on the slim phatty all the waveforms for the OSC merge into each other as you can sort of see on the right hand side of this picture

the LFO can be routed to the waveform (for PWM etc) I'm saying if the LFO depth could go further it could sweep from Triangle to saw to square to pulse and back again.

Sadly the +/- range only allows it to sweep between two waves at a time
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

there's probably a single resistor in the mod bus you could change to jack up the maximum modulation amount. That would play hell with the factory presets, of course, but if you're asking the question in the first place then that's probably not a big concern...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The presets suck balls on the SP :p. Would that involve opening her up?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

get a CP-251
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cp251 is basically just some more external LFO's right?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bump.

Was thinking last night that the voyager looks really nice and that i could get a nice deal on eBay for one.

I'm well aware that the SP is very much a one trick pony (baseline machine), I'm looking at the voyager and thinking that I might be able to get some deeper/more interesting sounds out of it.

Any voyager owners care to comment on their experiences getting more than awesome baselines out of it?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

you can get wider ranges with the aid of cp251 s lag processors
it is not just an extra lfo, it is a cv mixer for summing signals, attenuator, noise source, sample and hold circuit and a lag processor...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search