The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nord Lead? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nord Lead?

I know that this topic has been discussed, but my question is a bit different.

I have a Virus TI. I produce PsyTrance. It is said that the Nord Lead has got some special crunchiness good for cutting psytrance leads and stuff...

Thing is, I had a NL 2x, but sold...either it was because it sounded to soft compared to a 1 or 2, or cause I had to little experience at the time...or?...

Anyway, the thing is can't Virus do the kind of stuff NL is good at? Don't say try before u buy cause I have no place to do that. That's why I need ur help guys, not to spend other hard earned money in vain.
I must mention I also got an Evolver and a Tetra. (also I must mention I just bought a Supernova, only to realize Virus can do everything it can do and more...so money thrown away :( )

Thanks a lot!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone with experience on both synths?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

they sound different enough. i have a Virus B and a Nord Lead 2. i use the Nord way more than the Virus, the NL2 is way easier to digest when programming from the front panel (no menu'd parameters).

plus, the Nord does some cool stuff - tried to do this sound on the Virus, no dice, sounds very meh compared to the NL.

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/three_oscar/POUND5.WAV
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
they sound different enough. i have a Virus B and a Nord Lead 2. i use the Nord way more than the Virus, the NL2 is way easier to digest when programming from the front panel (no menu'd parameters).

plus, the Nord does some cool stuff - tried to do this sound on the Virus, no dice, sounds very meh compared to the NL.

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/three_oscar/POUND5.WAV
sounds really nice
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Anyone with experience on both synths?
I use a NL 2 and a Virus TI.
The NL 2 is banned to a closet since using the Virus.

The Virus has much more possibilities for electronic music than the Nord.
The Nord is simpler to program, but has a very distinctive sound.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I never really enjoyed any of the Virus synths, the Nord lead on the other hand is about the only VA i like- it just cuts through
I would definately recommend the Nord over the Virus for more s***** aggressive stuff.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay View Post
The Virus has much more possibilities for electronic music than the Nord.
this says more about your prejudices than the abilities of the synths. plenty of "electronic music" has been done with Nord Leads.

wow.

this guy's "electronic music" must be so limited what with that Nord Lead he has...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can someone get more technical? I mean... does it have rawer oscilators the NL or what, what it is? I mean I know it's got just one filter and 2 oscilators with the basic waves... what's the real special thing about NL.. I mean compared to the Virus , Evolver or Tetra. I just want to understand..
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can someone get more technical? I mean... does it have rawer oscilators the NL or what, what it is? I mean I know it's got just one filter and 2 oscilators with the basic waves... what's the real special thing about NL.. I mean compared to the Virus , Evolver or Tetra. I just want to understand..
why does everyone first think a synth's sound is significantly in the oscillators...

the difference is in the filters really. the Virus and NL use maths to create digital waveforms to produce sounds, the Tetra use analog circuits to create waveforms to produce sounds. the Evolver uses analog circuits and/or digital copies of waveforms to produce sounds.

if you want to really compare the two, turn off the EFX in the Virus, open the cutoff frequency all the way and turn down the resonance. the Virus is very brittle and nasal, and a bit like a 3 year old who needs a nap.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
why does everyone first think a synth's sound is significantly in the oscillators...

the difference is in the filters really. the Virus and NL use maths to create digital waveforms to produce sounds, the Tetra use analog circuits to create waveforms to produce sounds. the Evolver uses analog circuits and/or digital copies of waveforms to produce sounds.

if you want to really compare the two, turn off the EFX in the Virus, open the cutoff frequency all the way and turn down the resonance. the Virus is very brittle and nasal, and a bit like a 3 year old who needs a nap.
so back to my question...what does NL posses that the Virus , Evolver or Tetra does not??
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
so back to my question...what does NL posses that the Virus , Evolver or Tetra does not??
different filters, duh.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Indeed. To me, the Nord Lead [I have an original ["1"]] sounds "glassy." Other people who have played mine have used that same word themselves. And it's all in the filters. All the filters on the Lead have this glassy sound that can really "cut through," especially if your other synths are really "warm" or "round" or "a Moog."

With the filters open and with no resonance, the Lead sounds basically like a synthesizer. That is, it makes a waveform.

Those filters are really smooth and cutting, which may or may not be what you're looking for. To me, they're really dangerous, because they can sound good, good, good, good, good...then bad, in the blink of an eye. They're really "peaky" in the way they handle frequencies, especially in the high-frequency zone, so you have to be careful. Very different from any other synth I've used in that regard.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Those filters are really smooth and cutting, which may or may not be what you're looking for. To me, they're really dangerous, because they can sound good, good, good, good, good...then bad, in the blink of an eye. They're really "peaky" in the way they handle frequencies, especially in the high-frequency zone, so you have to be careful. Very different from any other synth I've used in that regard.
do you own an Sequential synths? they are a hair's turn on the resonance knob from killing dogs 3 miles away.

i prefer the sound of the NL2 brittle crispness over the NL1 more glassy, crystalline sound, it's a great contrast to my Church of Roland sound. the Virus sounds like a toddler who wants another cookie but really needs a nap. that's not a bad thing, unless you are tired yourself and need a nap.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
I am the same with mine. I have a Virus C and a Lead 2 and I use the Nord much more than the Virus. The Virus smokes the Lead 2 in features, but the Nord is easy to program and sounds terrific.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

NL reigns supreme for psy. Here's a trancey demo I did with my NL2x, some delay/verb plugins, and some cheesy drum samples (kick, snare, and hats aren't NL - everything else is). And here's a psy-inspired hip-hop beat using basically the same setup (2x for all synth parts). If you can't tell from the demos, oscillator FM is my favorite aspect of the NL series. So aggressive.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
NL reigns supreme for psy. Here's a trancey demo I did with my NL2x, some delay/verb plugins, and some cheesy drum samples (kick, snare, and hats aren't NL - everything else is). And here's a psy-inspired hip-hop beat using basically the same setup (2x for all synth parts). If you can't tell from the demos, oscillator FM is my favorite aspect of the NL series. So aggressive.
Pretty nice stuff man Do u own any of the other three synths in order to compare?
So it's the NL filter or what?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've owned both..

The virus is thicker, larger, deeper, has more bass,the sound has more texture, has effects, has more poly , has more of everything really, over the nord

Though the nord sounds quite good but it's rather basic.

Have a play with synth1 to see how complex the nord is, they're rather alike.

If you want generic psy trance sounds then get the nord.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, what about NL vs Evolver let's say?
Old 9th September 2011
I think many people hearing the Nord Lead the first time are a bit disappointed because the lack of effects. Put a delay or reverb on it and the Nord Lead begins to shine.
A lot of guys preferring the Nord Lead. Infected Mushroom using it very often for leads. Schiller is using it for pads and leads (he used a Nord Lead 3).
The list is very long... and most of this guys owning also a Virus and other synth.

But to be honest, most of the psytrance guys owning only a Virus TI and making some of this pluck or lead sounds with Sylenth. May be thats why they sounding all the same

In this short track (more a idea this time) the gated pad is from a Virus and the lead from a Nord Lead. IMO the Nord cuts very nice in the mix without big processing. Only the known stuff like reverb/delay.

idea_august.mp3
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok forget Virus...how about Evolver or Tetra compared to the Nord Lead. Finally due to what does the NL sound so considered good?
Old 9th September 2011
Nord Lead sounds good, but so does all the other big VA's from that time, in their own way. The filters, FM, Ring Modulation, distortion and unison mode contibute to the Leads sound. It can sound analog, but it can also sound digital. Some say it is thin compared to the Virus. Virus seems have more low end, but I think it sounds more digital when it comes to bass. Nord Lead is strong at leads, pads and percussions. The modulation envelope can create some crazy sounds when modulating FM. I have not heard the NL2x, but I've read that people think the NL2 sounds better than the NL2x. I found this a bit surprising because I figured the 2x was just a 2 with more memory and voices, but I guess they also made some changes to the audio path. I've never heard a Evolver or Tetra in person to give an accurate comparison. I definetly recommend the NL2 for a VA. I found it very fun and easy to program. It was the synth that I learned a great deal about subtractive synthesis. As mentioned, no built-in effects, but that can easily be solved with a cheap reverb/delay/chorus unit. It will definetly do psytrance leads quite well. I've made some really cool psytrance sequences using the arpeggiator, although I am not into making psytrance. I've had my NL2 for over 10 years, and I still consider it my primary synth and will never part with it.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
this says more about your prejudices than the abilities of the synths. plenty of "electronic music" has been done with Nord Leads.

wow.

this guy's "electronic music" must be so limited what with that Nord Lead he has...
OK, take a few steps back, take a deep breath... Relax....
Feel better now?
I didn't say anything about the quantity nor the quality of electronic music that was/is made with Nordlead's. So, chill!

What i said was that the Virus has a lot more possibilities than the Nord. And that is simply a fact, not an opinion.
The Virus has a lot more waveforms, FX, modulation options, vocoder, ... Shall i go on?

No need to get personal...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay View Post
I didn't say anything about the quantity nor the quality of electronic music that was/is made with Nordlead's.
1. "possibilities in electronic music" sounds like you are saying it has very limited use, not that when compared to the Virus, it has a limited synth engine architecture. i think the statement before that one is telling - that you BANNED the Nord to the closet, not that you simply prefer to use the Virus and have put the Nord away for now. BANNING something is a very aggressive word with punitive implications.

2. we all apply prejudices, that's how we make decisions. it's not an attack, rather, i read your comment as you limiting the synth's potential for your own reasons and it has nothing to do with the synth. i believe that to be a rather apt word for the cognitive dissonance that is commonly displayed in these threads.

3. the 303 must be ****te for electronic music, what with it's single OSC, 18dB filter, one EG, and no LFO. what about the SH-101 or Pro One, so limited with no possibilities for electronic music.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. "possibilities in electronic music" sounds like you are saying it has very limited use, not that when compared to the Virus, it has a limited synth engine architecture. i think the statement before that one is telling - that you BANNED the Nord to the closet, not that you simply prefer to use the Virus and have put the Nord away for now. BANNING something is a very aggressive word with punitive implications.

2. we all apply prejudices, that's how we make decisions. it's not an attack, rather, i read your comment as you limiting the synth's potential for your own reasons and it has nothing to do with the synth. i believe that to be a rather apt word for the cognitive dissonance that is commonly displayed in these threads.

3. the 303 must be ****te for electronic music, what with it's single OSC, 18dB filter, one EG, and no LFO. what about the SH-101 or Pro One, so limited with no possibilities for electronic music.
Hey man, wasn't this thread to be about something else?? Come on!!!
Old 10th September 2011
I had both and there isn't a comparison when it comes to features and build. The virus out does in both areas here. But I sold my virus. I didn't end up liking the weedy filter. I think it can do great stuff but it just ended up not doing it for me like I really thought it would. The nord has always bored me and I'm not a fan of the look. I bought a 2x and its great for general synth stuff and its super light which is a benefit to me at this point

Here is what sold me on it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301631/EQUI5NORD22.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301631/equi44b.mp3

all of this is the nord. well actually the first file is two nord 2s. I just like the basic sound of the nord better which is quite a shock to me really.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
I had both and there isn't a comparison when it comes to features and build. The virus out does in both areas here. But I sold my virus. I didn't end up liking the weedy filter. I think it can do great stuff but it just ended up not doing it for me like I really thought it would. The nord has always bored me and I'm not a fan of the look. I bought a 2x and its great for general synth stuff and its super light which is a benefit to me at this point

Here is what sold me on it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301631/EQUI5NORD22.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301631/equi44b.mp3

all of this is the nord. well actually the first file is two nord 2s. I just like the basic sound of the nord better which is quite a shock to me really.
What do u mean when u say the basic sound, better than what?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

If it would be to give it a mark from 1 to 10 what mark whould u guys give to Nord Lead (2) ? As a general synth, compared to any other synth, desireability ...
Old 10th September 2011
Well we were talking about the virus and the nord primarily and that is what I was comparing in my post. I like the overall basic sound of the nord better than the virus.

I think these two demos show how close it can sound to the original equinoxe when layered properly.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do u mean when u say the basic sound, better than what?
you have not been paying attention. the filter. it's all about the filter.

just buy a Nord Lead 2, if you don't like it, sell it. the education will have cost you a few bucks in shipping.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have an NL2x and the filter sounds really really good. The raw oscillators don't sound as good as some of my other synths, but you can easily program around that. They alias a bit in the high notes, even with the 96 khz sample rate of the converters. It's most noticeable when you're playing a mono unison patch (with 4 voices stacked...)

Whatever algorithm Nord came up with for the filter is the most analog-sounding digital filter I've ever heard. It's not exactly the fattest, but it's extremely smooth and can really scream if you kick the resonance up in 4 pole mode

To be honest, if the NL2x weren't so convenient for live use, it wouldn't be my first choice. I would probably rather spend a grand on a Prophet 600 or a Pro-One, but it a nice, useful synth with a great sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search