The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nord Lead? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru
I dunno why.. but the Nord Lead's I've played... everytime I'm looking around on the synth to turn off the chorus.

Does not have a raw nasal sound that I identify with "classic analog lead".
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

OK, I will reformulate: Is it THE FILTER that makes so suppossedely great the Nord Leads?
I mean I know about the Moog filter...some even said Evolver filter is really great...but the digital filter of the Nords??
Even more: If I decide...should I give my new Mopho Keyboard in an exchange for a Nord Lead 2?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

In action, in the context of how I use instruments. (making songs)

Almost entirely NL2x on the synth side: NL2X(+?)

Almost entirely Virus on the synth side: Virus(+?)

I'm fairly sure neither of these songs are "psy", because I don't know what that is, but they are none the less songs that use multiple patches of each instrument being discussed almost exclusively on each.

Neither is better in my opinion, they are both instruments, it's up to you to make one better than the other.

Which examples timbres or sonic qualities did you like the most? Once answered, ask yourself if that is because of the actual unit creating those sounds, or was it the individuals summoning of them in their respective context?

What is better? How many stars are in the sky?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

I have the NL2 and think that there is a noticeable difference between NL2 and NL2X. The 2x seems smoother, less raspy. I'm sure the 3 and wave sound different again although I've not really had a chance to play either for any length of time.
Perhaps just use what you have? The Supernova, analogs etc...that's alot of kit really...
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I have the NL2 and think that there is a noticeable difference between NL2 and NL2X. The 2x seems smoother, less raspy. I'm sure the 3 and wave sound different again although I've not really had a chance to play either for any length of time.
Perhaps just use what you have? The Supernova, analogs etc...that's alot of kit really...
So u feel there is a difference for the good or bad?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Should I get better an
Oberheim OB-12 instead???
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds like you don't know what you want or why you would want it. Step back, start over and take your time before latching to one synth after another, thinking, "I should get this!...or, no...this! ...no...THIS!...no...this!" Etc.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

+1 at Brainchild.

The Nords are great, but how well do you know those other synths?

The differences I noted before are differences neither positive or negative by themselves but may change in the application. If it's glassy bite you're after I'm sure you can achieve similar results with a Evolver. Is polyphony a requirement?
Regardless, consider the equipment you have, I don't think that any Nord will make your productions better.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Regardless, consider the equipment you have, I don't think that any Nord will make your productions better.
That
Old 10th February 2012
Here for the gear

I have just bought a Nord 2X and produce Psytrance, what I wanted to know since I've only have it a few days, what presets people are using for Psytrance leads etc..., is it me or are there very limited ways of making sounds more rougher apart from adding FM?, is it possible to make your own sound presets from an Init patch?? I am still working my way through the manual but just thought I'd ask about patches and what presets people are using for making psytrance leads and sounds.
Old 10th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdomac View Post
I have just bought a Nord 2X and produce Psytrance, what I wanted to know since I've only have it a few days, what presets people are using for Psytrance leads etc..., is it me or are there very limited ways of making sounds more rougher apart from adding FM?, is it possible to make your own sound presets from an Init patch?? I am still working my way through the manual but just thought I'd ask about patches and what presets people are using for making psytrance leads and sounds.
Not sure if you really need a preset library for the Nord Lead? Anyway, Andi Vax ("Synsun") has something available.

http://youtu.be/gxRosEI-E5I
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear
buy the vax soundest, but even carve some personal patches, it's easy and fast!!
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
buy the vax soundest, but even carve some personal patches, it's easy and fast!!
there are thousands of Nord sounds available for free. what i heard in that demo was lots of post synth effects.

set the synth to manual and explore.
Old 2nd June 2012
Deleted #8726
Nord 2X one OSC modulation

Yo,

I made this one OSC Nord Rack 2X modulation, tweaked, OTB processing and DAW edits.
Attached Files

OSC1_Movement.mp3 (5.32 MB, 320 views)

Last edited by fez; 2nd June 2012 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: MP3 stream edit.
Old 2nd June 2012
I have a Nord Stage. The synth section is a scaled down Nord Lead. Essentially they sound about the same. I have used it for quite a few different styles of music. I do not do much electronic music per se. In fact, I am considered a Jazz player. But for electronic music I use it in conjunction with a Moog Voyager and its great plus I have emulations of great keyboards I have used and loved my whole life like the Piano, Rhodes, Hammond etc. The staples I grew up on. Nord keys are very good. Incidentally, today I stopped into a music store and did some comparisons between all the DSI, Moog, Roland and Access stuff (have owned a keyboard from just about every major company that makes them including Farfisa and Hammone in my life) and the Nord Lead. It is distinctive, I know the sound well, but its just good. Its a nice sounding instrument. That's the bottom line IMO.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Can someone get more technical? I mean... does it have rawer oscilators the NL or what, what it is? I mean I know it's got just one filter and 2 oscilators with the basic waves... what's the real special thing about NL.. I mean compared to the Virus , Evolver or Tetra. I just want to understand..
The special thing is the sound. It's architecture isn't anything special. You either like the sound or not. Me, I had a Virus C for a long time and then sold it because I didn't feel it was worth keeping compared to some of the better soft synths. Every time I hear a Virus demo I think it sounds so very... generic or something. Very good but... it's like it's trying to be all things and ends up nothing. Maybe it's just not for me. Anyway, over the years I kept hearing Nord Lead demos and when a NL2 Desktop came along at a good price, I jumped on it. I'm glad I did. I love the sound.

I don't think it's a question of quality, it's just personal taste. If you love the Virus, you're probably set. I think if you want to add something to your collection your money would be better spent on a Prophet 08 or Tetr4.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
why does everyone first think a synth's sound is significantly in the oscillators...

the difference is in the filters really. the Virus and NL use maths to create digital waveforms to produce sounds, the Tetra use analog circuits to create waveforms to produce sounds. the Evolver uses analog circuits and/or digital copies of waveforms to produce sounds.

if you want to really compare the two, turn off the EFX in the Virus, open the cutoff frequency all the way and turn down the resonance. the Virus is very brittle and nasal, and a bit like a 3 year old who needs a nap.

Ok, now turn ON the fx of the Nord. Oh, wait.... lol.

But still, the Virus has a GREAT filter. Pretty sure the C & up actually have a moog filter. Nevermind the fx.

I'd agree the that the Nord gives a better 'clean' sound, as far as raw sounds and raw oscillators go.

But as an overall synth workhorse, the Virus is head & shoulders above the Nord IMO. And I'm familiar with both. The Virus has some pretty bland (****ty) oscillators... but once you combine it with the other 2 oscillators... and turn up the sub-osc... and throw a pinch of a noise oscillator... and a pinch of ring modulation... and a pinch of FM modulation... while still syncing the oscs.... and the wealth of modulation options... c'mon... lol. The sound that comes out of the Virus is best described as 'creamy', whereas the Nord is 'clean'.

Not that you need all that in any given patch. Sometimes the best stuff is the simple stuff, which is where the Nord shines.

But they're both great synths and you can't go wrong with either. Different kinds of beasts... so I'm definitely not hating on the Nord. The Nord is much easier to program and it's almost impossible to screw up any given patch. The Virus is very easy to get a ****ty patch out of. But when it's on, it's ON. Much more so than the Nord IMO. Just a matter of taste.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3enjamin View Post
Pretty sure the C & up actually have a moog filter. Nevermind the fx.
I think what you mean is "have a digital filter modeled on a Moog ladder type."

THere's no Moog in a Virus unless you run it though a Moog.

Which brings me back to my point that if you've already got a Virus TI you'd be better off putting a Moog or other analog synth next to it than a Nord Lead. Even though I love the Nord Lead, I think that's just a better way to spend your money.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
you have not been paying attention. the filter. it's all about the filter.

just buy a Nord Lead 2, if you don't like it, sell it. the education will have cost you a few bucks in shipping.
yep def an education i payed for. i just sold my nord lead 2 rack. luckily i got alittle more than i paid for it but took alittle loss due to ebay fees (which are bull**** and high as ****) anyway, i have come to the conclusion that for me (personal preference, dont flame out) i will never buy another VA as long as i live. I dont think the nord is that good. especially for the price. i couldve bought like 6 vsts and had way better arsenal and sound. the nord was ok, but you can tell its old as hell. the programing was straight forward and for me boring as ****. it was good for pads and some chords, but my mopho ate it up and spit it out when it came to bass. i know have the opinion shared by many, its software in a box for quadruiple the price. i wouldnt recomend anyone buy one. but thats my 2 cents
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think what you mean is "have a digital filter modeled on a Moog ladder type."

THere's no Moog in a Virus unless you run it though a Moog.

Which brings me back to my point that if you've already got a Virus TI you'd be better off putting a Moog or other analog synth next to it than a Nord Lead. Even though I love the Nord Lead, I think that's just a better way to spend your money.
i agree with thet analog part, i dont understand why everyone loves the nord lead. i had one, sold it, no regrets. it felt old and dated and boring. i would suggest going the analog way or get a nord modular if you must buy a nord. they seem the only ones worth it.
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Virus Ti and Nord Lead complement each other very nicely !

I have both, and I'm very happy with both (Virus Ti and Nord Lead 2X Rack)
Old 3rd June 2012
Deleted #8726
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggz View Post
i agree with thet analog part, i dont understand why everyone loves the nord lead. i had one, sold it, no regrets. it felt old and dated and boring. i would suggest going the analog way or get a nord modular if you must buy a nord. they seem the only ones worth it.
Well. If you manage to let the Nord be boring and outdated sounding to you; I don't expect you achieve an thorough sound palette only with your interface running at low I/O, your modern DAW of choice, without processing the bare signal with whatever what is good now, to be seen as a mandatory thing to do at first. Here in my realm dimension anyway.

If you do process the synthesizer with other outboard or plugins being the signal or dynamics processor variant with a proper arrangement and still being boring or outdated?! You just suck man.
Old 4th June 2012
Deleted #8726
rectification, all together now.

Ok. Gearslutz made me do it. Now I must show something.
Attached Files

GS_Heat.mp3 (4.79 MB, 291 views)

Old 8th June 2012
Gear Nut
Hello chaps! Does Nordlead have only one destination for modulators? For example - could LFO 1 modulate both FM and PW simultaneously? Same question about Env #3. I mean with latest OS. And what about quality of keys?

Thank for answers!
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Guru

For the NL2 I thought the keyboard isn't really that great. Short, springy keys - not much better than a controller. However, the whole is a very compact, elegant package, and the knobs feel great.
Old 8th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by musden View Post
Hello chaps! Does Nordlead have only one destination for modulators? For example - could LFO 1 modulate both FM and PW simultaneously? Same question about Env #3. I mean with latest OS. And what about quality of keys?

Thank for answers!
No.
LFO 1 can modulate FM or OSC2 or PW or filter or OSC1+OSC2
LFO 2 can modulate amplitude, filter, OSC1+OSZ2
Mod Env can control FM, PW, OSC2
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Nut
Thank you guys for answers. NL is really for people who like the sound, to my eye. I cant consider it like a proper modern well-featured musical instrument.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search