The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
deepchord kick bass Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

deepchord kick bass

Dear all

Listening to the last productions of rod modell aka deepchord like Hash Bar Loops or Liumin I try to reproduce a similar kickdrum.

BCN DUB
Deepchord Presents Echospace - BCN Dub - YouTube

City Centre
Deepchord - City Centre [Soma] - YouTube

The Kick is simila to a round bass kick, no click on the attack, slower pitch decay and seem like it would go through some sort of reverb???

Listening to the kick bass, it is like beeing outside of a club and listen to this bass booming noise without high freq.

Any idea how can be produced?

Thanks and regards
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

deeb vipes
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

yes very deeeep.. but how?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

low pass? acoustic kick maybe? maybe even reverb? why dont you try?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

I ve tried but I was wonder if anybody else use similar kicks.
Thanks and regards
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

almost any sound could serve as a kickdrum after sidechain-gating, detune, lowpass and maybe distort it.. no rules, no limits. Enjoy playing :-)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice tunes.

To my ears, the kicks in both of these tracks sound like 909s.

I think the trick is that he's got a cleverly programmed sub line, that features a hit decaying from every beat (as well as a few other incidental hits)... then used a sidechain compressor to very tightly (fast attack & release) duck the bass to make space for the kick.
What is most crucial is getting the mix levels right.

Also, the 909 kicks have been low-pass filtered, then, over the top, these is noise added. To me, this sounds like the very last few hundred milliseconds of a ride cymbal tail; with everything before that sliced away. On the second track, this has been bitcrushed/decimated.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with Simonator that track 2 sounds like a 909 kick. I am not sure about the 1st tho.

I will add a little more info too.

One thing that is happening is that everything is being recorded to tape, then played back into the console for the mix down. Basically they are dubbing their tracks. So tape saturation is also going to be a factor in their sound of their drums and generally. I know this from reading a post from one of the fellows in Deepchord on Discogs. Sorry I can't be bothered to dig up a link, I am sure the OP can find it if he looks around a bit.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search