The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advise on Point Blank Online Course- Mixing Dance Music Course - Ableton Live DAW Software
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head
Advise on Point Blank Online Course- Mixing Dance Music Course - Ableton Live

Hey Folks,
I know I should ask this question the "college" itself, but I´d rather hear it from someone who actually did the course and is "neutral".
I looked into their whole programme and loved to study in london, but since I´m from germany and dont have that much time and the cash, I´m looking for the online course.
The " Mixing Dance Music with Ableton" (Ableton Mixing | Online Classes) is what interests me the most,
but looking into the "course content" makes me wonder if I might know much of that allready. I´ve been working with ableton for almost 2 years, I watched many of those "how to" and "mixing like god bla bla" videos and I guess its fair to say, I know what I´m doing. But specially mixing dance music, is giving me a hard time sometimes, I always feel thats there is still lot to go or to do in my mixes.
So does anyone of you have done this course, or maybe something similar, and has also gained some knowledge before that?
I dont wanna spend money on a course that teaches me how to activate sidechaining in ableton to get the bass pumping if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your thoughts and response.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

...please just send me $2,000 and i will work with you for 3 hours a day for two months. We will cover everything you could ever want to know and then some. I promise you will learn more from my one on one sessions than you would from any online program. Yes, I have a bachelor's degree in audio production so you will be learning from a professional. I'm really just looking out for your best interest, and mine of course

if you're seriously interested, I can even build you a course syllabus detailing all the aspects we will cover. Not only will we cover arrangement and composition within ableton live, from the production and DJ standpoint, but you will also learn the proper techniques to professionally mix and master your tracks, along with a good bit of music theory along the way.

at 3 hours a day for 5 days a week for two months you would be looking at paying me just over $11 / hour..... thats pretty cheap for some one on one service.

again, i PROMISE you will learn more from me then those online programs where you learn just the basic tid bits about EQ'ing and compression.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head
thanks for your offer :-)
but the course I looked ito is more like 350 pound.
which is still too much if its really just the basics of eq'ing thats for sure.
but I´m getting your point, maybe I should just go to the local "hit-producer" (actually there are a few) and pay him to do an intern...
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Head

Did a pointblank course in Jan... started another this week.

Enough said
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

I've made this mixing course a couple of months ago and I recommend. Really nice, gave me some new insights. There's always exercises to do and the tutor is a really nice guy.

I only regret taking the EDM course cause mostly of the things there I already knew (your fear), but other than that It was cool, you always learn some new tricks.
Old 30th October 2011
You should mine YouTube for free clips with advice for just about every program.

That's what I did to get into Ableton Live about 3 years ago, after only using Reason and Pro Tools before.

I may actually pay for Sonic Academy classes, because the free vids on YouTube are excellent.
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Maniac

Certaintly couldn't hurt to give it a try if after seeing people's responses, you feel it's a worthy investment of your money.

On the other hand, what would you say your goal, or next obstacle that you feel is in your way is? Thinking short term, do you feel there is a particular area of production that is holding you back? Arrangement, synthesis, mixing, generating musical ideas? Even if you decide to take the course or not, it'd be good to feel yourself out and get a plan for what you think you need to work on in a logical order to help you become a better producer. I'm sure there's a million quotes out there about goals and taking things one step at time, but I'm too lazy to look ha.

I dunno, for me it's arrangement and working on writing and mixing percussion. So I've been researching tips and stuff and listening to mixes to educate myself, and I feel it's paying off. Do you know what you're looking for help-wise exactly? Is it one thing or do you feel like just all around you could use a base to cover a lot of basics and introduce you to a variety of ideas?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search