The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First poly synth...advice) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

First poly synth...advice)

Hey everyone, I was looking to get some advice on purchasing my first poly. I own a yamaha cs 10 right now, so I'm really looking for some great poly pad stuff/analogue keys. Some great arp and stab stuff would be a huge plus as well. Any advice? As far as budget I'd love to be able to spend 800 or under, but was guessing I'd get some good info and feel around then maybe try to purchase something used on eBay. Thanks so much for your time. Take care all.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Oberheim matrix 6 & a Waldorf Blofeld desktop.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbox View Post
As far as budget I'd love to be able to spend 800 or under
Ooomoneee booomonee shaweeee,
Ooomoneee booomonee shawuuuu,
Ommmmmmm,
Ommmmmmm,

.... Yes.... it's starting to come to me,

Ommmmmmm,
Ommmmmmm,

.... Yes.... Yes.... YES!!!

.... You live in Djibouti, and you mean 800 Djibouti Francs.

AmIright?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

It doesn't help that people who otherwise don't write British English write "analog" as "analogue" because it looks cooler.

Oh well.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellow View Post
Oberheim matrix 6 & a Waldorf Blofeld desktop.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Much appreciated man! Looks like the matrix's don't run too expensive. They sound great too!
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It doesn't help that people who otherwise don't write British English write "analog" as "analogue" because it looks cooler.

Oh well.
You know what else doesn't help? Your post

"JUST SAYIN."
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post

Oh well.
I live in the US and have always written it as "analogue" even before i knew nothing of synths. Kinda of like the word Gray. I've always written it Grey. Not sure why, never been corrected on either account.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Arps/stabs: Roland Juno 60
pads/keys: Korg Polysix, Sequential Circuits Prophet 600

Of course any decent VA will cover all of that, and more, but if you want to stick in the analog domain, and don't want to spend over $1K, these three are your best bets, methinks.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Wonderful! Yeah I was putting some serious thought into the juno 6. I just really need a great poly synth to start my collection with . I'd be down to spend more than 800 if the right instrument came around.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

under $800 USD for an analogue poly synth... take your pick.

JX3P (arp/sequencer)
JX-8P
JX-10
MKS-7
MKS-30
MKS-50/Juno 1/Juno 2
MKS-70
Juno 106/HS 60
Juno 6/60 (arp)

Poly 6
Poly 61
Poly 800

Matrix 6/6R/1000

AX-60 (arp)
AX-73
AX-80

SX-240
SX-210

Prophet 600
Six Trak
Split 8
MultiTrak
Max

DK700
DK600
DK80
DK70

Bit01
Bit1
Bit99
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
under $800 USD for an analogue poly synth... take your pick.
Awesome list! I like to add:

Chroma Polaris
Marion Systems MSR-2
DSI Tetra
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru
That list is perfect.. although I wish I never knew of a Siel DK700. Now I'll just have to sit and dream about it..
Old 9th September 2011
Deleted User
Juni 106, Juno 60 or Prophet 600 is what I should go for if I was you
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I second the chroma polaris and the mks 70
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know every synth in blinky's list, but I think the Prophet 600 might be the only dual VCO machine on it. That automatically puts it in a different -- and, in my view, higher -- category. I think it's the closest you can get to one of the "big boys" without shelling out well over $1500. If you can find one in your range, I'd strongly recommend it!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
I don't know every synth in blinky's list, but I think the Prophet 600 might be the only dual VCO machine on it.
i believe you are right. i shed my VCO based polys years ago. i prefer things to be in tune *ducks*
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I vote for the Matrix 1000. Why?

1. It's cheap (you can get them for $400 or less)
2. It's a 1U rackmount so doesn't take up much space
3. It's got 1000 presets built-in so you can use it right out of the box
4. It's got MIDI
5. Easy to get editor for it (be it hardware or software)

It's a quick, easy and inexpensive way to get into analog synths.
For the record I own a Matrix 1000 but my first analog was a Juno 106, so either one of these two gets my vote.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes...my only poly analogs are the J60 and M1000..killer combo, you get both the famous roland and oberheim sounds

..I need a mono again to compliment them (had a cs10, sold it a while back). I am thinking either a Pro One (for Prophet/SCI sounds) or SH-09/2 (for even older 70's Roland BA622 sounds (older than the Juno/Roland 80's sounds)).

My TX81Z also compliments them too..$50 for some nice old glassy metallic sounds that the old poly analogs can't make.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i believe you are right. i shed my VCO based polys years ago. i prefer things to be in tune *ducks*
Any idea how common the Prophet 600's are?

I am also looking around for a poly. Locals on Craig's List seem to have a few Korg DW-8000, a pawn shop stuck with a Juno 106 and two Kawai K5000s about. I actually prefer buying on eBay.

The idea of a desktop Blofeld and a keyboard controller sounds nice because of space. Does the blofeld desktop do poly??

I have the room but a big Kawaii is a beast. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
I don't know every synth in blinky's list, but I think the Prophet 600 might be the only dual VCO machine on it. That automatically puts it in a different -- and, in my view, higher -- category. I think it's the closest you can get to one of the "big boys" without shelling out well over $1500. If you can find one in your range, I'd strongly recommend it!
The chroma Polaris has 2 vcos per voice so does the ax80.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

4. It's got MIDI

For the record I own a Matrix 1000 but my first analog was a Juno 106, so either one of these two gets my vote.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the matrix 1000 have only 1 mono out?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

I would say to save up some more and wait till Moog announce their 4voice poly (Moog Four being the possible name for it). I think the first one will be similar to the Slim Phatty in that it wont have keys on the first go around (to keep costs down). I'm also willing to bet that their new IPad controller will be an alternate method of controlling it (aside from midi and midi over USB). Later they will probably release a full keyboard version for those with deep pockets. I'm sure it will sound like the cats pajamas so to speak... Also maybe Moog will start releasing some stereo based foogers to complement it!!

At least that's what I would guess they are planning to do, I could be wrong!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

It all comes down to the sound you are after. I went with sequential circuits sixtrak because I love its dirty, grainy, screechy, muddy, sizzleyness. Probably the very same reasons that the next guy might hate it! Check them all out on the YouTube. There is always someone who loves to show off the sound of their "annaoulougue" synths over the interwebs.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

4. It's got MIDI

I disagree on the Matrix 1000, the Juno 106 sounds like a good suggestion though. I've owned both of them before.

The Matrix 1000 is no fun. Where are the knobs, buttons, sliders on it that lets you instantly tweak, program and make your own sounds? And patch editing via software is a bunch of crap and not the same thing as programming a synth directly.

For somebody's first synth, the Juno 106 would be a much more fun and gratifying synth to own than a Matrix 1000.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could always just get a Matrix 6 then....or get a Kiwi hardware editor/programmer for the M1000 (which can be used on other synths too)
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
You could always just get a Matrix 6 then....or get a Kiwi hardware editor/programmer for the M1000 (which can be used on other synths too)
I'm not aware of that Kiwi programmer which you mention so that might be an option, but is the Matrix 6 any better in terms of controls than the 1000? Doesn't the Matrix 6 have that horrible touch membrane control?

I like Oberheim synths a lot, like the Xpander, the OB-X, the OB-8 and the Matrix 12, but even though I've owned them before, I've never been fond of either the Matrix 6 or the Matrix 1000.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Does the blofeld desktop do poly??
The Blofeld (both keyboard and module) is capable of up to 25 notes of polyphony.

I think you might be asking about multitimbrality, though. The Blofeld (again, both keyboard and module) is 16-part multitimbral.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the matrix 1000 have only 1 mono out?
You are correct, it's a mono out, is that an issue? For the record I run my Juno 106 as a mono (even though it's stereo).
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
I disagree on the Matrix 1000, the Juno 106 sounds like a good suggestion though. I've owned both of them before.

The Matrix 1000 is no fun. Where are the knobs, buttons, sliders on it that lets you instantly tweak, program and make your own sounds? And patch editing via software is a bunch of crap and not the same thing as programming a synth directly.

For somebody's first synth, the Juno 106 would be a much more fun and gratifying synth to own than a Matrix 1000.
That's a good point. If the OP wants to have instant gratification sliders then a Juno 106 or Juno 60 is highly recommended (bonus points to the Juno 60 because of its arpeggiator for even more instant gratification). I learned how to program synths because of the Juno 106. At this point I have a Logic environment for the Matrix 1000 and it's easy to adjust stuff from the environment.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I learned how to program synths because of the Juno 106.
Same with me.heh That's the first synth that I learned to program on, and it was so easy and fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search