The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prince-esque gated flanged noise... how to. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Prince-esque gated flanged noise... how to.

Sorry if this has been discussed, i didn't find it after a lenghly search over this forum, and google.

In a lot of Prince's productions you hear that weird gated noise sound with a very bold flanger on it.

he puts it behind his drumlines...

you can hear it very clearly on the intro of Appolonia's sex shooter :

behind the drum :
Apollonia Sex Shooter - YouTube

I've heard a couple producers reproduce a sound like this one by literally putting flanger over the drums.. like the dream in his purple kisses song

The-Dream - Purple Kisses - YouTube

i feel (by the title) that he is making a reference to prince's version of the sound... but it doesnt sound the same..

i hear prince's version as a sound of its own slipped under the drum vs the drum with a flanger on it...

i know prince used obies back then... but im more interested in the actual recipe for such a sound...

i have very little knowledge about flanging so please be gentle!!

thank you much
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm wondering if it might be the shaker on the Linn going through a flanger?

Just a shot in the dark. Who knows.

Great thing about those old drum machines is that they had individual outs and you could put different effects on each drum.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd always assumed Prince's sound was inspired by the way people like John Foxx and Gary Numan were putting guitars through heavy fuzz/flange and using them more for mostly percussive effects. Using white noise is only the next logical step.

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
It's all just white noise from a synth thru a flanger. Try the MXR M-117R pedal. Perfect for this.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Back in the day, Prince was rather fond of using flangers on drums. The effect in Sex Shooter, She's always in my hair, erotic city etc is indeed a flanger, probably with a lot of feedback. I suspect it's actually a stomp pedal.. it kindof sounds that way. There are a couple of plugins which emulate such stomp pedals, and you can likely get the same effect with those.. i might try in a minute to see what i can come up with.

Another well-known effect Prince uses is the AMS DMX16 effects unit and run the linndrum through a revers reverb preset it had. He used this effect on Kiss
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's an example i made using the waves stompbox flanger.. seems to come pretty close eh?
Attached Files

flangy.mp3 (1.37 MB, 1487 views)

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru
those sounds always remind me of the Realistic Reverb..

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldizzy View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed, i didn't find it after a lenghly search over this forum, and google.

In a lot of Prince's productions you hear that weird gated noise sound with a very bold flanger on it.

he puts it behind his drumlines...

you can hear it very clearly on the intro of Appolonia's sex shooter :

behind the drum :
Apollonia Sex Shooter - YouTube

I've heard a couple producers reproduce a sound like this one by literally putting flanger over the drums.. like the dream in his purple kisses song

The-Dream - Purple Kisses - YouTube

i feel (by the title) that he is making a reference to prince's version of the sound... but it doesnt sound the same..

i hear prince's version as a sound of its own slipped under the drum vs the drum with a flanger on it...

i know prince used obies back then... but im more interested in the actual recipe for such a sound...

i have very little knowledge about flanging so please be gentle!!

thank you much
I know the sound you're hearing, I think it is a classic MXR Auto Flanger (the vertical racked kind). And sometimes, it's JUST the sound of the unit on, but nothing feeding through it, which may be that whooshy layer under the dry drums.

A less expensive and less rare way to get this is the MXR 100 (script) pedal (if I'm remembering correctly). GREAT pedal, no matter what!

Hope that helps!

-andrews
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search