The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New synth for our Studio, Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

New synth for our Studio,

Hi friends

Recently we teamed up with a Dj friend making a new dance music band

its very like the doors style mixed with actual house music.

so we have some money to invest and we are looking for some new synth to complement our actual equipment

so i came here to ask for some advice..

My friend was thinking in buying a Roland Gaia, so i told him it wasn't necessary because we already own 3 VA synth, and we should go for some analog for bass lines , leads , etc.

Currently we own

nord rack 2x
novation xio
korg r3
korg electribe
korg monotron

instruments:
fender strato, ibanez bass, ibanez guitars
the mics are
Rode Nt2a and an AudioTechnica 2020 and a 57.

So please guys can you recomend a good synth for no more than 800 usd.
Im thinking on a Little Phaty, or a Doepfer Dark Energy, i heard the DSI Stuff but didnt liked too much.

thanks in advance

cheers from chile
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Slim Phatty or DSI mopho would be nice. I'd love to have either of them.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

moog voyager maybe if you got the coin?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe a Korg micro sampler for ambient and loop stuff? A sampler might add to the palate of sound sources, or course you'll still need the sounds to out into it, good for pitching stuff, and probably a lot easier than my way of using old EMU samplers, USB transfer is simple. Not much coin for the tool either.

If no use for a little sampler, the DSI Mopho is pretty cool - and sounds great.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy View Post
moog voyager maybe if you got the coin?
"No more than $800".

I'd almost say you don't need another synth, what are you missing from what you have? The Rack 2X is multitimbral, doesn't it push enough for bass?

ATCx or secondhand Slim Phatty if you must have analog bass. Though you might have to import from the US - don't know what prices are going to be like in Chile but probably not cheaper.
Old 9th September 2011
Deleted User
Slim Phatty
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

guys you are awesome, thanks for your inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
"No more than $800".

I'd almost say you don't need another synth, what are you missing from what you have? The Rack 2X is multitimbral, doesn't it push enough for bass?

ATCx or secondhand Slim Phatty if you must have analog bass. Though you might have to import from the US - don't know what prices are going to be like in Chile but probably not cheaper.

My friend really want to invest in a new synth, so thats why i suggested an analog..as a complement to our VA.

I heard some DSI demos and didn't like then that much, comparing to the little phatty, in US is actually 800 usd so im thnking that would the best option..

thanks again..still open to new suggestions..

kind regards

nic
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist4 View Post
Hi friends

Recently we teamed up with a Dj friend making a new dance music band

its very like the doors style mixed with actual house music.

so we have some money to invest and we are looking for some new synth to complement our actual equipment

so i came here to ask for some advice..

My friend was thinking in buying a Roland Gaia, so i told him it wasn't necessary because we already own 3 VA synth, and we should go for some analog for bass lines , leads , etc.

Currently we own

nord rack 2x
novation xio
korg r3
korg electribe
korg monotron

instruments:
fender strato, ibanez bass, ibanez guitars
the mics are
Rode Nt2a and an AudioTechnica 2020 and a 57.

So please guys can you recomend a good synth for no more than 800 usd.
Im thinking on a Little Phaty, or a Doepfer Dark Energy, i heard the DSI Stuff but didnt liked too much.

thanks in advance

cheers from chile
Sorry to switch the subject. Just wondering what you think of the Korg R3? I'm looking into getting one as a live and studio synth. Love the idea of a vocoder. Any thoughts would be well appreciated

-Tristan
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

To compliment what you have, go for an analog like an ATC, Slim Phatty, MoPho... that sort of thing.

Or...

If you're going for the Doors thing, maybe find a Rhodes Bass keyboard!

I have one and they are very cool. They do one thing, but it's that Ray Manzerek thing

Here, I found this for you and it's exactly on your budget:

New synth for our Studio,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1971...#ht_500wt_1180

-andrews
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Well, if you want to capture the Doors flavor,,you have to start with reverse engineering what it was that they did musically (sonically). manzerak use a VOX organ and a Rhodes for bass. Very tasty arpeggio stuff, you could really say that it contributed in a very large part to that signature Doors sound... well.., I would definitely say that. They had a sound !! full stop.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

When I was like 15...my older brother used to feed me music and albums .....probably just to get back at my dad (another story)....But I can't remeber if Santana Abraxas or "The Doors Absolutely Live" came first...(Pretty sure it was twor Christmas presents in a row)... I became a huge Doors fan...that album had a lot of really great improv stuff on it... lots of amazing songs...."When The Music's OVer" one of them...When L.A. Woman was released...it was really an epic album. "Riders On The Storm" might as well have been " San Franciscan Nights".. it was that huge. In my mind..it was the evolution and maturation of the Doors...they were dialing it in....like a fine wine....evolving it.. it was huge poetry and music. Too bad. There was so much more to come!
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

The scream of the butterfly
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

I just got a 2nd hand se1x red eye for 900$

I would recommend that over the phatty
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaysguitar View Post
Sorry to switch the subject. Just wondering what you think of the Korg R3? I'm looking into getting one as a live and studio synth. Love the idea of a vocoder. Any thoughts would be well appreciated

-Tristan

the truth is

i dont like the R3 at all, its my friend synth, he bought it and barely use it, maybe it fits your music,

but it dosent have the sound i'm into
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks guys for your help and advices..

its has been very useful
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

<----------

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search