The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genoqs Octopus sequencer on ebay... Sequencers (HW)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Genoqs Octopus sequencer on ebay...

Was browsing on ebay for a MAQ 16 and came across the Genoqs Octopus which is a bit of a rare thing, but I'm always mythed by the prices these go for. Especially when you consider the recent trend with pad controllers (monome, novation launchpad etc.)

Don't get me wrong, if disposible income was an option I'd jump on it, but equally happy with cheap and tacky controllers made out of plastic and a DAW to control.

Genoqs Octopus sequencer on ebay...GENOQS OCTOPUS | eBay
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The Octopus seems to be a very nice sequencer, not that I've ever TOUCHED one, having only read about them.

I came to the same conclusion you did...you can do as much or more with software these days. I'm currently using an iPad and an ioDock on top of my modular for MIDI sequencing, and I'm not unhappy with it. Sure, no CV, but then, the Octopus is MIDI-only too.

The Octopus is mostly about gee-whiz collectibility. It's gorgeous and created in controlled-market limited editions, much like sports cards. Functionality is almost secondary.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
The Octopus seems to be a very nice sequencer, not that I've ever TOUCHED one, having only read about them.

I came to the same conclusion you did...you can do as much or more with software these days. I'm currently using an iPad and an ioDock on top of my modular for MIDI sequencing, and I'm not unhappy with it. Sure, no CV, but then, the Octopus is MIDI-only too.

The Octopus is mostly about gee-whiz collectibility. It's gorgeous and created in controlled-market limited editions, much like sports cards. Functionality is almost secondary.
The price seems a bit high for a new one. I've seen used ones for sale in the lower $2's. There are still new ones available (analogue haven for instance).

the argument that you can do more with computers and the ipad is just ludicrous - there is one (mac only) software sequencer that compares (Numerology) but the whole point of a hardware sequencer is the immediacy of your interaction with it. It's a very different experience. this is an argument used by people to convince themselves that they shouldn't spend the money, and so I suppose it can be useful...

If you want one, I would research it thoroughly and determine whether this is the sequencer you really want. After lots of experimentation with sequencers, I have eventually concluded that I much prefer the schrittmacher (for a midi step sequencer) over the octopus. but the octopus is great (especially if you have a good memory for memorizing obscure keystroke combinations.

analogue haven still has new ones in stock, apparently.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
...the argument that you can do more with computers and the ipad is just ludicrous ...
Spoken like a true Gearslut! Bravo!

Seriously, I'm a gearhead, too, and I understand your point about physical interaction. For my purposes, though, the software works just fine. I'm not saying the Octopus isn't awesome, but it isn't 1750 awesome. Note this is one of the limited editions, too, hence the gouge and my commentary.

I also agree the Schrittmacher seems a far better investment, particularly for 1400-1600 dollars less.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Seriously, I'm a gearhead, too, and I understand your point about physical interaction. For my purposes, though, the software works just fine. I'm not saying the Octopus isn't awesome, but it isn't 1750 awesome. Note this is one of the limited editions, too, hence the gouge and my commentary.

I also agree the Schrittmacher seems a far better investment, particularly for 1400-1600 dollars less.
Well, whether hardware is worth the $ is dependent on whether it inspires you, and whether you have the $. But I can't say I was impressed by the way that the Genoqs emphasis seemed to move from updating the software to designing collectors' editions of their sequencers. I really don't see why you should pay in some cases LOTS more just to get this prettified, bordering on pretentious looking thing.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Real deal

I have gone back and forth with software for years sometimes all was good
But more often than not bugs and crashes came into the picture
New audio interface new updates new os etc. Spent thousands on software
Over the years only to toss in the trash over time those disk become worthless
A lot of newest greatest flavor of the month bigger better stuff often this doesn't run with the newest version of that headaches I own an octopus shell
It's always there runs exactly the way I want it to never crashes has real value and is a shear joy to work with fluid in every way
So for me I would have to say ... Nothing beats the real thing
Old 2nd February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

I have had an Octopus...it was really nice...but I sold it yesterday for 1449£
on ebay...I am sticking with my SQ-10, my MC4-B, my 185 (Roland 100M) and
my KLEE sequencers...maybe a Schrittmaker but is it worh it?
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Head

Wouldn't think so... Having owned the both of 'm.
The Schrittmacher lacks the immediate access to multiple tracks running at the same time. Also, the Octopus offers much more in terms of functionality, especially if you're trying to get past the looping 'berlin school' single pattern and actually try to chain multiple patterns. Pretty basic functionality, you'd say? Not possible on the Schrittmacher...
The one thing that I find it had going for itself was the big chunky step knobs. But basically fighting that machine to get past its inherent limitations, mmm, no thanks.
On the other hand, I also sold my Octopus (much more regretfully, though) as I found that, personally, I'd almost get the same results from more simpler sequencers, and yes, that includes certain Ipad apps. YMMV, on the other hand.
One other thing that made me consider; that Octopus is positively huge-ass. Deep and wide, making it difficult to fit in a crowded studio. Did look the part though, typically the first thing that anybody entering my studio would notice and then, predictably, go "wow, but what does it do?" Try explaining then that it does not even make a sound...

PS, that 185 though, I still miss it. There were some things coming from it that I was never able to reproduce elsewhere. I know there's a software version floating around, must try it sometimes.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

If I'm going to drop some serious cash on a sequencer it would be the Sequentix Cirklon... hands down.
Old 13th August 2012
Here for the gear

selling most of my gear

Red Output Studio

or ebay user id leuca211
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

The current Open Source version of the Octopus and Nemo firmware overcome most of the worst problems and add some
amazing features and performance tools. I will not be letting mine go, it is a heritage instrument. If you can get one cheap,
do it and install the new OS, you will not regret it.

rachel
Old 13th August 2012
Would love a thing like this to spit out CV's on numerous ports....

Can't take midi serious if you want tight control of analog...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search