The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tangerine Dream Basslines? How'd they do it? Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th December 2017
Old 4th December 2017
I'm really digging this thread
Old 4th August 2018
Here for the gear

Please good Berlin School friends, may I ask you for listening to my track called Berlin Walk and leave a comment would be great.

Thank you very much!

YouTube

YouTube
Old 5th August 2018
This is one of my favorite Tangering Dream riffs, and it's mostly guitars! "Thief (end credits)"
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Because you're going to compare everything you hear to the original TD, realize that they did it 40 years earlier, and then there's nothing new about it anymore.
A violin making friend once used that sort of reasoning to explain why no one can build a violin that sounds better than a Stradivarious -- because the Strad is the standard and if a violin sounds different then by definition it's not as good.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
This is one of my favorite Tangering Dream riffs, and it's mostly guitars! "Thief (end credits)"
Craig Safan, not TD. It's maybe the worst piece of music ever made.

TD themselves thought it sucked.
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

This gentleman, CZRider01, nails Tangerine Dream bass using Moog Modular. Pure analog synth bass heaven. Alas, most of us will never own a Moog Modular.

YouTube

However, seems his goto alternative is the SCI Pro One for bass. Will do in a crunch (own one). I know there's a TD studio shot somewhere on net showing Franke did use the SCI Pro One apparently as well, not sure whether he used it for sequenced bass though.

YouTube
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

Always interested in these TD sequencer threads. I believe they only scratched the surface of this type music leaving much room to explore further.
I have been experimenting with the 904B and 904C filter getting new sounds that still have that Berlin School vibe.
Did a sequence using the old modular Moog controlled via the Pro~1 arp set on repeat. Holding down the keys for changing sequences. Really fun way to get that mechanical step sequencer sound with a bit of variation.
MP3 clip here:
Attached Files

TDseq.mp3 (2.47 MB, 1572 views)

Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
Always interested in these TD sequencer threads. I believe they only scratched the surface of this type music leaving much room to explore further.
I have been experimenting with the 904B and 904C filter getting new sounds that still have that Berlin School vibe.
Did a sequence using the old modular Moog controlled via the Pro~1 arp set on repeat. Holding down the keys for changing sequences. Really fun way to get that mechanical step sequencer sound with a bit of variation.
MP3 clip here:
Nice

Pete
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

Wow! OMG. Thanks for that clip CZ Rider. I can't believe it. You've nailed it!!, yet with fresh creativity and nuance! Beautiful. If I didn't know it was you I would have guessed an unreleased 'Berlin School era' Tangerine Dream album was discovered in the vault. Agree lotsa room for new expression in this genre. Do you by chance have any CD's in this style?
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

i managed to get this type of sound with a Rogue, alpha juno and amdek
BBD delay many years ago. the alpha sounded great, really 'vintage', must
have been a HPF setting. not the same mastery, of course.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
MP3 clip here:
Effin schveeeeeet!!
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

My interpretation...
Sequence two | Von Haulshoven
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by von haulshoven View Post
My interpretation...
Very nice.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
My interpretation...
Really nice. Thank you.
Old 6th February 2019
FWIW, the Novation Peak can also be fun for this style. It's no Moog modular, but still.

(sequenced part starts at around 1:36)

BTW, if you can't afford or don't want a Moog modular, the MOS-Lab modules/systems do a pretty good replication of them. The Behringer D is also pretty decent there.

Pete
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
My interpretation...
I enjoyed this. Very nice.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
MP3 clip here:

Very nice.

What is the set up here? Is that a two VCO sound or just one?
And generally - if you wanted a Moog sound for doing just this and didn't want to go modular, what would give you the closest sound to the modules that Christoph Franke used? I have often though of get a Minitaur just for this, but cant find a decent sequence demo. Maybe a mini would be closer? There is something dark and compelling when it is done with Moog.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
Very nice.

What is the set up here? Is that a two VCO sound or just one?
There is something dark and compelling when it is done with Moog.
Just two 901 oscillators with just about all of the original modules from 1969. That old Moog has a certain thickness to the tone that is difficult to replicate without using the same circuits. The Minimoog and clones will probably get the closest. Have used a Mini for many years for just that, combined with a step sequencer and echo/delay.
Pic of the old Moog.

For me that Berlin School music is as much about the electronic tones, as it is about where it takes you listening to it. It is like painting a picture with sound.
No CD released, but have quite a few finished but unreleased tracks of these musical journeys. They can be a little long as these type soundscapes develope.

Had a nice ocean soundscape to upload, but there is a 16 meg limit on attachments. Here is a sequence featuring the 904C filter coupler.
Attached Files

904C sequence.mp3 (12.98 MB, 1246 views)

Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Nice. The fact that you have original modules adds to the sound no doubt.

The first sequencer recording I ever heard was Rubycon - and I have been obsessed ever since, hence my VST mock up earlier in the thread - but I really feel the need to get a hard set up so might give a clone an audition. You can get good authentic tones from Roland synths, though they give a distinctly 80's flavour to any sequence - 'Thief' period.

I was lucky to catch the Froese / Franke / Schmoeling incarnation a few times, and the ripples of appreciation that spread through the crowd whenever a sequence started was always a spine tingling moment.

Its funny that Franke's set up seamed incredibly futuristic, now they look like proper 'vintage' instruments, all wood and metal, more like a piano or harpsichord.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had a nice ocean soundscape to upload, but there is a 16 meg limit on attachments. Here is a sequence featuring the 904C filter coupler.
I rarely do that:
Saving that clip for future enjoyment.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post

BTW, if you can't afford or don't want a Moog modular, the MOS-Lab modules/systems do a pretty good replication of them. The Behringer D is also pretty decent there.

Pete
A Studio Electronics Boomstar 5089 is a perfect candidate for these bass sounds.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear
BTW, great music everyone! Some lovely Berlin school examples. Love it. (and what a thread necro bump)
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
The first sequencer recording I ever heard was Rubycon
Rubycon was the first album i owned. Franke is using two 960's on that album and continously switches between them using the 962 sequential switch.

I tried asking Mick Glossop the original engineer on that album if he remembered anything about recording the album with TD, but he wasn't forthcoming and said it was a long time ago, and he's worked with so many artists.

Incidentally Steve Wilson is doing new mixes of TD's back catalogue, there was a rumour of possibly some unreleased material from recording sessions from the 70's albums (Phaedra, Rubycon etc). Froese did mention in an interview once that there was over 10 hours of unreleased material in the Virgin vaults.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

Synthesizers.com has recreations of the 960 and 962 that can be used with any CV/gate synth you might have. Their ladder filter comes close to a real Moog, but not quite as dirty. dotcom gets you 90% of the way to the Moog Modular sound at a fraction of the cost of the recent reissues.

You can buy a mixer from suitandtieguy that supposedly recreates the dirt from the original Moog mixers. It's available in 5U, not sure if he does a Eurorack version.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Addict

The Polymorph is Berlin school in a box

Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Synthesizers.com has recreations of the 960 and 962 that can be used with any CV/gate synth you might have. Their ladder filter comes close to a real Moog, but not quite as dirty. dotcom gets you 90% of the way to the Moog Modular sound at a fraction of the cost of the recent reissues.

You can buy a mixer from suitandtieguy that supposedly recreates the dirt from the original Moog mixers. It's available in 5U, not sure if he does a Eurorack version.
That's the mixer I have on my MU setup along with the MOS-lab oscillators and filter. It's one of a very few mixers that will overdrive the filter properly.

There are one or two others in Eurorack that also do that. But most mixers don't, and so make it nearly impossible to nail the sound. You want to find ones that are based on the CP3 design.

Here's the STG one
stg/soundlabs - Mixer (MU format)

Here's an inexpensive Eurorack one that is based on the CP3
DTM CP3 Style Mixer - Perfect Circuit

Pete
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
The Polymorph is Berlin school in a box

Be sure to read the comments, too. The demo is mis-attributed in the video.

Too bad these are unobtanium. They supposedly have an incredibly difficult workflow, but sound fantastic.

But you can do Berlin with most anything. Check out this cool demo with two Monotribes.

Old 7th February 2019
ValhallaDSP

I know it is my answer to most questions here, but: Moog Grandmother.

2/3 oscillator synth, with built in arpeggiator and sequencer. Circuits based on old school Moog modular (902 VCA, 904a filter, 911 envelope, 905 spring reverb, CP3 mixer).

Here's a few Tangerine Dream-ish sequences I did with the Grandmother, with plugins adding the dotted eighth note delay:

Old 7th February 2019
berlin school is just a genre name, it has nothing to do with the sequencing. the berlin school tag wasn't around when TD's Phaedra appeared (TD was in the category of krautrock/cosmic/prog), or Schulze's Timewind. the name derives from the berlin school of electronic music, a workshop teaching electronic music and synthesis. notably by musician klaus schulze and some others.

some folks seem to have this silly notion that berlin school name is primarily attached to just the sequencing style,
notably of TD, Schulze, Ashra etc. it's a lot more than that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search