The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it ok just to output a synth into as guitar peddle? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is it ok just to output a synth into as guitar peddle?

I ask as these things are designed for guitars and so I wonder do they not output different signal strengths or whatever?

I do like the idea of using a few classic boss peddles like distortion and chorus.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

no problems

chemical brothers released like 4 albums of just a 106 with a boss distortion pedal over some breakbeats and they did ok!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

ha ha ha ha ha - Superb answer.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Pedal

Watch the input levels and you'll be OK, though your SNR might not be as high as it once was.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

lol, sorry mate, im slightly dyslexic.

(Why the hell did they make a word like 'dyslexic' to describe a condition evolving around bad spelling?? Talk about mocking the afflicted, TG for spell checkers haha)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

I've got a Behringer clone of a Boss BBD chorus (which is picky about levels!), an EHX Smallstone Phaser (no problem whatever it's plugged into) and I used to have a Line 6 Echo park (no problem either).

For distortion you might also want to look at a ProCo Rat. What are you planning on feeding into it?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hardware synths and stuff from my DAW so virtual sampler / VSTs.

Just experimenting really.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
For distortion you might also want to look at a ProCo Rat. What are you planning on feeding into it?
I have the Rat 2 and I love it. Sounds amazing on synths.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
lol, sorry mate, im slightly dyslexic.

(Why the hell did they make a word like 'dyslexic' to describe a condition evolving around bad spelling?? Talk about mocking the afflicted, TG for spell checkers haha)
It's the standard anglification of the adjectival form of Greek nouns, specifically the noun lexia, 'to read, reading', combined with the prefix dys-, 'poor, abnormal, difficult'. (viz. 'dysfunctional').

Last edited by niklasni1; 8th September 2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edited for grammar
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Oh why did you have to start this thread. Even though i already knew the answer I have a bunch of Boss pedals I was using for guitar I was thinking of dumping for cash. Now I have to rethink my decision and check them out on my synths!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Pedal
....you'd better not mess with Major Tom.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

haha, or ill get David Bowie onto you
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
....you'd better not mess with Major Tom.
but he's just a junkie
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

No the world will end
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well if you all want to get things done you should really listen to your mama
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you get a Proco Rat you'll need a pre amp or D.I. to record it's output properly.
They do sound good on synths/drum machines.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

(Ok, enough Bowie references)

Mitch, would I need the DI you mention for Boss peddles i your view?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

No rules other than to make music that sounds good to your ears. Innovate and others will follow.
Old 11th September 2011
You should be good to go. I use a malekko germanium b:assmaster on a voyager, sounds great on bass.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

People have been running synths through guitar pedals for decades now, you should be good to go.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

A synth pedal called the AB-synth is the only pedal I've not had work correctly.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Never noticed any problems with synths into pedals until recently. I plugged an old elka rhapsody string synth into a vintage maestro ps-1A phase shifter pedal. It sounded like it's inputs were being far over driven even at the lowest output setting on the string synth. Same thing happened with a Wurlitzer 200A. I tried a bass guitar through the ps-1a and it sounded fine again. Plugging a Rhodes 73 into it sounds fine too. I think some older pedals are only built to handle passive low level high impedance signals ie electric guitars, Rhodes, electric bass.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

just a caveat, most pedals cannot handle signals that are too hot, and depending on pedal, unless it has full bandwidth it might cut off your highs and lows

it is trickier than it seems, really
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm curious about this as well. I've got a nord lead which I plugged into a DDL3 a while back...practically unusable volume levels were output from the pedal regardless of the master volume on the synth. Impedance levels maybe? Anyway, I feeling like experimenting with this again, perhaps with an Eventide stompbox and wonder if anyone else as had similar issues using any of those pedals with nords or doepfers?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

All I would add is that for recording, it is probably a better idea to record the signal dry from the synth, and then generate a second track with the pedal effect on it. (Just run the original track out on a bus and back in)

Since a lot of guitar pedals really obscure the clarity of pitch, it can be nice to mix a little bit of uneffected tone back in.

That said, if your pedal has a wet dry, happy days are here!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want to hear the true tone of a high impedance guitar pedal, get a re-amp box like this one.

Remember, with line level vs. guitar level, it's not just levels that vary (affecting the tone), impedance is different as well.

-T
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

So, Eventide stomp boxes...space..pitchfactor...timefactor, any synth users with experience running line level into these things?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search