The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
arp 2600 versus crumar spirit??? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

arp 2600 versus crumar spirit???

i've heard 2600s (4012 or 4072) and could listen to them forever. what are the sonic/mod differences between the two??
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

no one huh?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, they're really pretty different. One has two oscs, the other has three, one has a single LPF the other has dual filters, one is a completely patchable semi-modular and the other is a more typical pre-wired monosynth with some extra features. Apples and oranges.
Old 8th September 2011
Yep, got any specific questions?
The Spirit is great (never owned one though), the 2600 is great (should never have sold mine).
They are very, very different beasts though.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks Dave, i get the differences in structure. we could use that as points of contention on any mono debate.. minimoog vs osCAR etc... i guess i should clarify, but sonically what is the Arp capable of that a Spirit (or vice versa) is not. Like leads, basslines, crazy modulation..etc... you can just answer yes here... if you could afford only one or the other why?? the reason why i ask is i've never got to play the 2600, only here what others have done. conversely I own the Spirit and i know it gets far weirder (in a great way) than recordings i've heard. the 2600 to me sounds huge but lacks the completely usable craziness of the mod routings on the Spirit.

again thanks for responding, any info is greatly appreciated
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

actually i just found a video of a 2600 thats give a pretty good overview of the modulation routings, very cool. the modulation routing capabilities are very over the top. sorry for answering my own questions... i don't get to spend as much time on the internet looking stuff up as i'd like!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

now that i'm watching it i want it. i usually never get to see someone walk through a synth like the video i mentioned. i guess for me using the Spirit offers so many capabilities as far what i send out (semi stereo out) and to where. i was really wondering if the 2600s routing got crazy. now i see it can get crazier. i own an Axxe and a Cat so i'm familiar the Arp sound. The Arp still seems much mellower than the Spirit. the Spirit goes both directions very very well, a great combo of drug addled beauty or bitch who hasn't slept in a fortnight. the 2600 seems like a beauty on Ludes... chips versus circuits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yep, got any specific questions?
The Spirit is great (never owned one though), the 2600 is great (should never have sold mine).
They are very, very different beasts though.

Last edited by waveformanalogue; 8th September 2011 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: adding more
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would say the 2600 's strongest point over the Spirit is that it is completely patchable so it has very versatile modulation capabilities. You can connect any output to any input (but ALL modulars would have that same advantage so this is not specific to the 2600). I would say the 2600's biggest weakness is the fact that it only has one filter (which is only lowpass) and one VCA. To me, this really limits the sonic possibilities. So again, apples and oranges.

So since you already have the Spirit, a nice patchable synth like the 2600 would be a good compliment to it. But you could get a new modular from any of the dozen or so boutique modular synth makers that would be more versatile and less service headache and probably cost a lot less than a 2600.
Old 9th September 2011
+1 the above.
I don't see the Arp as a crazy, complex modulation synth.
Apart from the usual vintage subtractive timbres, most of the modulation with the Arp has an FM kind of sound.
There are at least a couple of different sounding 2600's, but the one I had was older. It's strengths were the unmistakable Arp sound courtesy of the oscillators and LPF, plus the audio processing and nasty spring reverb.
The audio input on my 2600 was superb. Capable of going from neutral, to slightly warming, to nuclear distortion. Both the filters and oscillators sounded amazing. The synth just has a classic sound.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search