The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me nail this song (mix, arrangement, everything)... Channel Strip Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Help me nail this song (mix, arrangement, everything)...

Hey folks:

I'm near completion of a new song. While any work of art is subjective, I really am hoping to make this one as universally great as possible. I've taken some risks I haven't taken in the past and I want to know if they paid off or ened up ruining the piece for you.

Most importantly, I'd be greatly appreciative if you'd listen to the mix in your best/worst/most challenging listening situation. Does the mix have the right balance? Is it to bass-heavy? Too harsh? Is any thing not sitting right for you? (Some risks here, I used much less highpass and lowpass taming than I usually do on tracks and the mix overall after reading some threads on this here. Most offensive to gearheads, I don't yet have a well-treated room... something I plan to do but just haven't had the ability to get to yet.)

How's the arranging? Choice of melodies, harmonies? Does anything just plain not work for you? (Biggest risks here--the B part, especially the choice to do an almost turntable style splice-and-tune job on the backup vocals to replace a lower vocal harmony part that just wasn't working. The backup group vocals in general were a bit of inspired risk-taking to try to make this piece less somber. Also the loungy/sexy vocals over the last chorus and into the fadeout.)

I'd love feedback on anything else you feel like sharing. Tell me why you hated, loved, or where just "meh" about it, but ideally with some sort of advice on what you'd change.

<< removed, now available at http://lightsfadelow.com/track/control >>

Lastly, thank you VERY much for taking the time to listen and put together some thoughtful feedback.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Lights, I just jumped up to listen to the CM-6 which btw sounds great, so here's my free advice, worth what you're paying!

I like the tune and production, mix sounds great. I really like the intro the and first verse. The form starts to wander after the 2nd verse. I think you need to get to the 2nd chorus quicker. I'm also losing the contrast from verse to ch the second time. The contrast was awesome from the 1st vs to ch. On the second I'm not getting a release into the chorus.
I dig the bridge. If anything I think I be a touch more adventurous. More contrast, more distortion, more, more....
When you hit the breakdown I think you should hang here a bit longer. I like it and it's over too quick. I also would like to hear that groovy intro texture again, maybe it can help extend into the out chorus. I also wish the out chorus was bigger somehow. The intro really pulls me in and it's sounds like we're going on a cool journey but then the song sort of plateaus. Be bold. I dig it. Give it to me. Don't be afraid to add more colors as the song develops. Don't make your weird vocals a little weird, make them a lot weird!
Really drop out and then really soar. Or maybe you're just trying to be chilled throughout. Art is very subjective. I can only tell you when you've had my interest and then you lost my interest, or lost my attention might be a better term. The mic and vocals are great!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

The problem is with regards to the dynamics of the song, or lack of, IMO. Sure, you have a verse, bridge, chorus, etc., but there's no clear defined climax in the track. I don't know, it's like musical stagnation. There's anticipation and the elements are there, but it just fails to deliver that sonic exclamation mark, which should take place when the chorus comes in. The song feels the same from start to finish, with the same vibe. Very safe, I guess.

That's my 2 cents. What you do have though, I like. There's just no roller coaster ride with the song.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool guys... thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Ok... here are some follow-up questions:

Hazmatic: On the climax, what would you expect to hear--are you looking for more instruments or just more pressure in the mix at that time?

Guavadude: when you talk about losing the contrast between the second verse and chorus, are you maybe referring to the same thing as Hazmatic? Definitely not trying to be chill the whole way... guess I need to shoot for 11! I did hold back for the first chorus and the first half of the second chorus so that when the bass enters in the second half of the chorus, it feels really big... but not big enough.
Old 8th September 2011
Love the vocal edits/effects and production on the intro, sounds awesome. Beats and bass are very nice too. Not too mad about the random perc delays starting at 1.15 though.

Intro got me real excited, agree about it needing more 'umpf' in the chorus.

I really want a full blown string section at the 2.00 break, giving it more emotion leading into the section at 3.00 which I like. Gets a bit messy for me at 4.00, those perc delays again, like the bv vocals. I want a massive drum hit at 4.41 when it kicks back in.

Lots of potential in this, I take it you've heard Stateless "Arial". Your track reminds me of that vibe.

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

needs a dubstep drop

just kidding! please don't do that. i'd agree with the others, as a listener i really wanted a massive explosion at 3:27; strings, vocal harmonies, real super-ostentatious soundtrack stuff.

i can't comment production wise as you're clearly a lot better than me
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

Only listening on my laptop... but mix sounds decent enough on that.

I really like the backing track. Nice production.

What I like the least is the vocal:

* I don't feel this vocalist is right for the track; a soft airy female would sit much nicer.

* Often the verse rhythm is too ploddy; hitting exactly on the beat too predictably. Sometimes this can work, but I don't feel it suits this track.

* The backing vox in the second half seem to become inappropriate to the style, and for me, it ruins the song's integrity... up until that point, it's a pretty cool affair- fairly subtle, melancholic, understated.
Then at 3.45 it morphs into what I'd describe as 'American college rock'... it reminds me of a particular pop song from 98/99... but I can't recal the name of it for the life of me!!... and then, at 3.56, this backing vocal climaxes into something reminiscent of The Beatles' Strawberry Fields.
After that, it seems to take a turn towards Blink 182 with the distorted telephone vocals.
... Personally, I think you should lose all of that, keep it cool.
Have you ever listened to Lamb? Something like their vocals would be nice.

In general, good work though.... lots of positives, I'm just looking for negatives to try to be helpful!

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

pretty cool overall, good work...

it's too long for me... at most it should end at just over the 4 min mark, but even that's a bit much i think...

some of the verse words end really abruptly, like the "bright" and "tight" as well as the "you" and "rest" at the start , certain ones like that could use a delay ...

the hectic percush in the hook area doesn't work for me at all... the vocal in the hook is also a little awkward, could probably flow it a bit better, mostly the that we want us to be...

also some of the vocals are a bit awkwardly mechanical, especially the ones doubled with the female, could use some robotizing on the male lead on those parts...

also i agree that there isn't enough build to the hook or at least a distinctive enough transition, and the hook isn't hyped enough over the rest...

it is all subjective and tbh i no longer know how to judge music, so just make yourself happy with it and that's all that really matters, artwise anyways... for the most part it's pretty dope...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming. I'm going to be going through the song minute-by-minute over the next several days and implementing those suggestions that I can actually pull off.

A few reactions/follow up questions:
  • The song was originally meant to be a duet with me singing half of the verses and Aradia singing the other ones. After spending a lot of time with both sets of vocals (We both sang the whole song through many times), I found that it worked best this way given the takes I had. But as you can hear from the tracks I've officially released, she probably has that airy voice that Saminator was looking for. I probably won't have the opportunity to go back and do more vocal takes :( But I could perhaps smooth out the vocal lines... if someone could suggest some ways to keep the air but remove the harshness (same on the harshness of the main drum... which i intentionally left the crackly high end in to keep it sounding "hi-fi" but maybe could tune that).
  • I'm getting some suggestions to keep it chill and some to really amp up the contrast and make the chorus bigger. Maybe I'll build two versions of the song...
  • Id Ridden: you said that the vocal hook is a bit awkward... are you talking about the chorus or the verse? You also said that the verse parts that are doubled sound a bit mechanical but suggested it could use some robotizing--did you mean autotuning? Would love more detail on this suggestion.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming. I'm going to be going through the song minute-by-minute over the next several days and implementing those suggestions that I can actually pull off.

A few reactions/follow up questions:
  • The song was originally meant to be a duet with me singing half of the verses and Aradia singing the other ones. After spending a lot of time with both sets of vocals (We both sang the whole song through many times), I found that it worked best this way given the takes I had. But as you can hear from the tracks I've officially released, she probably has that airy voice that Saminator was looking for. I probably won't have the opportunity to go back and do more vocal takes :( But I could perhaps smooth out the vocal lines... if someone could suggest some ways to keep the air but remove the harshness (same on the harshness of the main drum... which i intentionally left the crackly high end in to keep it sounding "hi-fi" but maybe could tune that).
  • I'm getting some suggestions to keep it chill and some to really amp up the contrast and make the chorus bigger. Maybe I'll build two versions of the song...
  • Id Ridden: you said that the vocal hook is a bit awkward... are you talking about the chorus or the verse? You also said that the verse parts that are doubled sound a bit mechanical but suggested it could use some robotizing--did you mean autotuning? Would love more detail on this suggestion.

With your high freqs, you're just going to have to play around with the eq of the mix to bring the right sounds forward without sounding "harsh"... eq those with the whole song playing so you can hear how your eq changes effect the whole song.

The suggestions on the production of the song... I would say that I like the "chill" on verses, but would definitely pump up the choruses, perhaps with some distorted guitar/synth pads to really bring it up. Maybe even change the kick drum sound in choruses, or add a midi track what has another kick sound on it just during the choruses and blend together.

Make more fader rides on everything to give the mix more flow, sounds like you got the levels you wanted and just left it there for the most part....

Other than that, I dig where you're trying to go with this man, keep it up
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Chorus... Hooks really need to be shiny and catchy, you know, like a good lure... it sounds too much like a continuation of the verse but without anything more...

Definitely not autotune... i will always mention autotune specifically if thinking autotune, but to me it should be a seldom used effect, although i don't mind it when used subtly over large areas, but not in this case...

Robotizing to me is something more synthized or some sort of metalizer or sci-fi type thing, vocode or talkbox, or melodyne or even just sung robotically... basically to me if it sounds too mechanical you have 2 options. 1. Sing it non mechanically, or, 2. absolutely take it OTT, in this case, OTT should work...
Old 10th September 2011
this is great, just needs something to make the chorus sound epic
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

really awesome work! reminds me a lot of junior boys.. particularly their "Last Exit" track comes to mind, and the vocal style is very similar in general. i wont really comment on specifics 'til i get a chance to listen in headphones.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks all. Going to start implementing the most immediately actionable feedback tonight!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
a soft airy female would sit much nicer.
Agreed.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator
a soft airy female would sit much nicer.

Agreed.
I'm not going to be able to make that change. I did many, many takes with an amazing female vocalist (who you can hear singing lead on my other songs at www.lightsfadelow.com) and I just didn't think it worked in this song.

It was my intention to make the song a duet with half the parts sung by Aradia and half sung by me.

In the end using her tracks to back certain words was the best sound based on the material I had.

I may ask her to do some more lines, but assume that we're stuck with my voice and have to make the best of it ;-)
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the second section sounds too empty. I'd push up the volume of the cello/strings slightly and weave in some faint floaty slow pad notes that swim in and out of each other. Maybe distorted pads, maybe grungy Mellotron strings if you think that wouldn't be too cliche. Play with it some more.

The second chorus definitely needs more oomph, more impact. Maybe distorted guitars - maybe electric 12 string if you can get hold of one, maybe distorted keys of some kind. The vocals in the background need more urgency in them, more desperate, sung louder, perhaps as loudly as you can, like the "Feel so right" distorted part but with more force. I think if you add some verb to Aradia's vocals here and in the third chorus - but not on the "I can't control you," that would help them have that floaty feel the others recommend. I like this suggestion a lot. That third chorus needs to have what I call a "James Bond finish," pull out all the stops, peak volume, peak emotion, peak everything. The "I know you want... I know you need" lines at the end sounded a little limp, they need to have a climax sort of flavor. Do a shout track under the sung lines? (sorry for so many edits, this is looping and I'm on the seventh listen)

It's definitely not too long. Frankly, I think it ended too soon and abruptly.

As for the recording of all the sounds otherwise, I'm not sure you need to change a thing. I listened to these on some upper end Sennheisers which have proven pretty true, and I like what I hear. There is no perfect sound, and I don't think from what I'm hearing you can improve the instruments laid down. This is gold waiting for airplay. And thank you for not producing yet another cookie cutter EDM track I hear too often around here! heh
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i totally disagree about using a female vocalist. in my experience it seems most people have a bias against male vocalists and simply prefer females in general, but with few exceptions i'm the opposite—all of my favorite vocalists tend to be male.

that being said, i think your style and delivery is excellent and fits the work fine, though the duet idea could definitely be interesting here (ever heard kelley polar's entropy reigns?).

by the way, i'm curious what the yale music tech program was like if you'd care to comment!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi there,

Full respect for going for something beautiful. Here are my comments (virtually all on the stuff needing tweaks in order to save time):

1. vocals during verse, holding notes too long. It should be "on.......my........windshield......" and NOT "onnnnnnnnnnnnn...myyyyyyyyyy...windshield..."

Strongly consider having a female do the verses and you keep your vocals for the chorus for a more dramatic effect with "I can control you".

2. 0:47 - this bass is not good enough for the production quality of everything else. The overdrive filter needs to be cranked on this, and its rubbery quality takes away from the seriousness of the piece.

3. All strings and filter sweep noises are beautiful.

4. 1:18 - "I can control you" sounds GREAT...instead of cutting the bass out at this point you need to crank the overdrive and decay and put on a HPF filter and then let it die away naturally over the course of the chorus. Otherwise, you're fighting the form too much and it's not clear enough to the listener that this is truly the chorus.

5. nice silence at 1:50 ish (are you not tempted to put a touch of wind or air noise in the background? maybe it's just right as is...hard to tell...very courageous at the very least on your part)

6. strings at 2:08 need to be louder in the mix

7. 2:29, again this bass it too rubbery IMO

8. 2:58 - crazy saw bass needed underneath throughout 2nd chorus...more vocal doubling this time

9. some sort of kick is needed during this 2nd chorus

10. 3:56 - hihat pattern should change for the bridge part here

11. NO SCREAM TELEPHONE VOCALS! This effect after 3:56 totally takes away from everything before!

12. Everything in the song builds to 4:19 IMO, and as it stands, this note is not built up to enough.

13. 4:37 - this breakdown goes too quickly back into the chorus. To be frank, I think it would be better as an outro as going back to the chorus feels anticlimactic the way it's built as a song right now.

I wish you good luck. Very interesting song.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_R View Post
Hi there,

Full respect for going for something beautiful. Here are my comments (virtually all on the stuff needing tweaks in order to save time):

1. vocals during verse, holding notes too long. It should be "on.......my........windshield......" and NOT "onnnnnnnnnnnnn...myyyyyyyyyy...windshield..."

Strongly consider having a female do the verses and you keep your vocals for the chorus for a more dramatic effect with "I can control you".

2. 0:47 - this bass is not good enough for the production quality of everything else. The overdrive filter needs to be cranked on this, and its rubbery quality takes away from the seriousness of the piece.

4. 1:18 - "I can control you" sounds GREAT...instead of cutting the bass out at this point you need to crank the overdrive and decay and put on a HPF filter and then let it die away naturally over the course of the chorus. Otherwise, you're fighting the form too much and it's not clear enough to the listener that this is truly the chorus.

5. nice silence at 1:50 ish (are you not tempted to put a touch of wind or air noise in the background? maybe it's just right as is...hard to tell...very courageous at the very least on your part)

8. 2:58 - crazy saw bass needed underneath throughout 2nd chorus...more vocal doubling this time

11. NO SCREAM TELEPHONE VOCALS! This effect after 3:56 totally takes away from everything before!

12. Everything in the song builds to 4:19 IMO, and as it stands, this note is not built up to enough.

13. 4:37 - this breakdown goes too quickly back into the chorus. To be frank, I think it would be better as an outro as going back to the chorus feels anticlimactic the way it's built as a song right now.

Jesus, why don't you just write the song. Nothing worse than arm chair composers. What do you work for TAXI hahahahaha.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

New Draft

<< removed, now available at http://lightsfadelow.com/track/control >>

Hey folks:

I'm happy to say that I have a new draft available for you to listen to. I've received soooo many different kinds of advice that I could only implement some of the suggestions in this round, but I will keep working on it.

I'm likely to do a couple different versions of this song. I think it was Peter Gabriel that did like 6 versions of each song that were quite different and then decided which version fit on the album... anyway, I received some very diverse advice like Samicide suggested I keep it cool throughout and a number of other people suggested I really, really amp up the contrast between the chorus and the verse. This version I focused on the latter, but I'd like to go back and do a mellow/chill version with all female vox. It might keep some of the same elements but have some very different ones.

Don't fret if your suggestions aren't found in this one, I did read them all, they are printed out next to my DAW here and I'm going through them all. I may not ever implement all of them but I'm trying to take the spirit of all of them.

LMK if you think this latest version is a step back.

Some things I did here-- I use gain automation, additional limiting, and a guitar amp sim on some arpeggiated synth sounds to create a more dramatic build in the chorus.

I made the B part more dramatic as well and higher contrast.

I did a little EQ on the vocals, but no change to the reverbs yet.

A number of you objected to the metallic percussion on the chorus. I pulled that out. Some others suggested a heavier bass drum--I added a whole different complimentary part with some dub-y bass drum work. (Not too dub, don't worry).

I hope you like the changes.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_R View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have a chance to look at this while I was working on the latest update but I'll make sure to incorporate some of these thoughts in draft 3.

I actually really like the way the bass flows. I don't think I'm going to change that.

As I noted in the post directly above, I'm going to be looking at doing a chill version with all female vox. I have like 8 takes of Aradia singing the verses but they didn't work for me, so my plan is to have her re-record on the "chill" version

LMK if you think that the distorted arpeggios I added negate the need for the crazy saw bass you called for!

TO ALL: Looking for specific MIXING advice now too!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you!

Hey guys!

I wanted to thank you for all of the feedback. I implemented (as best I could) a lot of the suggestions. The track is now available here:

Control | Lights Fade Low

But it's not going to stop there. Since I received some really disperate feedback in the general direction of "Give it more, more!" and "Keep it cool, man..." I chose to go with "More" for this release but I'm going to do a complete remix of this song with new sounds, solo female vox, etc. for a downtempo version in the near future.

Thanks again!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm... it seems that the only things I have to quibble about are the choruses now seem overpowering. The volume is much higher than the verses, and the distorted vocals seem a bit too distorted. The bass too. And because of it, there are points your lady's vocals are being shouted over a bit much. I know this is a delicate highwire act, getting things to glue well and have the impact you want.

I'd say dial back the distortion on the vocals a scouche to the point they have the grind you want but are also intelligible and aren't getting muddled in the mix. I like the effect, but I also like the clarity they had in the original mix. Probably the bass in the chorus too, unless I'm just listening to the track too loud. Also, are you mixing on speakers or headphones? I'd say if you're using 'phones, see if you can grab some speakers of some kind just to be sure.

I also think the strings at points are SO quiet, they're almost subliminal, though if that's the effect you want, never mind.

First blush review just before bed, so I'm sure I need a further listen. But this is a great step forward, and close to calling it good.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

LOL... well at least you know I listened to feedback to make the chorus bigger, more saturation on the vocie, more contrast with the verse, etc.

I originally had no saturation at all on the backing female vox in the chorus and I really cranked it up on the final track. I am using Nectar and it has so many nice saturation modes, gotta give a shout out to iZotope for that. I chose analog saturation for both my voice and the female voice and I really liked the way it sounded. I did't think it hurt intelligibility but I also changed the balance of the whole chorus with that distorted "guitar-like arpeggiated synth" I added.

I mix on a pair of original Mackie HR824 monitors as well as headphones. I usually do multiple passes going back and forth between the two.

It's very intentional that the strings are super subtle/quiet in the verse. I'm trying to create a ton of "airy" depth in the verse with the gated synth that only pops forward for a second here or there but mostly is an incredibly quiet pad in the background and the distant cello. Because the chorus is now kicked up a notch, you're likely noticing it more now.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey guys!

I wanted to thank you for all of the feedback. I implemented (as best I could) a lot of the suggestions. The track is now available here:

Control | Lights Fade Low

But it's not going to stop there. Since I received some really disperate feedback in the general direction of "Give it more, more!" and "Keep it cool, man..." I chose to go with "More" for this release but I'm going to do a complete remix of this song with new sounds, solo female vox, etc. for a downtempo version in the near future.

Thanks again!
The song doesn't really get interesting until around 4:30. The beat and vocals don't really play off of each other in the verses. The worst part is when the vocals hit right on the beat without any kind of special effect, it's just very bland for a track that's trying to be "out there." The choruses are a bit better, but overall the track isn't interesting until the end.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatflux View Post
The song doesn't really get interesting until around 4:30. The beat and vocals don't really play off of each other in the verses. The worst part is when the vocals hit right on the beat without any kind of special effect, it's just very bland for a track that's trying to be "out there." The choruses are a bit better, but overall the track isn't interesting until the end.
Oh well :(
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey folks, just wanted to let everybody know I did some updates to the song and I think it's about as good as I can get it... I think it sounds smoother and overall easier on the ears while still retaining its punch.

You can listen here: Control | Lights Fade Low

My next step will be to rip it down to nothing but the raw MIDI data and build it up again as a completely different style... sort of more what Simonator was looking for--a cool downtempo piece with airy female lead vox.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

bah. keep your vocals man, you have an absolutely great voice and vocal style. the world doesn't need more electronic music with generic female/diva vocals.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm flattered, thanks!

I really like how the original version came together. But I also think that this song could go so many different ways that I'm intrigued at the prospect of remixing myself. One of my idols when I was in highschool and college, and a musical pioneer, Peter Gabriel, used to do several completely different mixes of every song... it wasn't until they were all complete that he decided which would end up on the album.

I love that concept... and I should do it more. It's hard to take something you spent weeks perfecting and rip it back down to the notes on paper and build it up completely differently, but something amazingly cool might come out of it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search