The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon vt747.... is there any competition? Equalisers (HW)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Avalon vt747.... is there any competition?

Old 8th September 2011
heh hundreds of boxes

Avalon gear sounds like no other - shimmering beautiful highs, but if overdone can be a bit "glassy". VT737SP with U87 is the classic hiphop thing.
on the VT747 (used it twice in another studio) I like the EQ best. the compressor, not so much... not grabby enough... but there's hundreds of successful people will disagree with me. heh

when looking for gear, first try to find out why you like it.

when starting out, with limited budget, and big expectations, consider buying a lunchbox (API 500 series) and slowly fill it with your choice modules. Avalon doesn't make modules, but there are modules which are in that direction (Pendulum Audio, Buzz Audio, etc.)
Also.. look for secondhand deals. If you know what to look for (read GS and listen to examples) and have some patience you can score gear that has a very good price/performance ratio
also don't discard (small, vintage) mixers and summing units, and amplifiers (line amps or mic amps with DI input) to spice up computer generated mixes.

Also look in other directions: a machine like the Culture Vulture is very popular. Also I've seen a Schippmann Ebbe und Flut filter/compressor/enveloper go for 850 euros (1200 USD) which is a very capable machine.

Myself I like a combination of analogue filters, effects and outboard eq, then tweak until it fits.
So, yeah... thousands of options...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

For my experience... I had the Avalon VT747sp a few years ago and ended up selling it. It was an opto-compressor and for my experience it was a bit too transparent and not fast enough for electronic music. However, it was certainly a great machine, but I suspect it was more suited for "non-electronic" styles of music... for traditional pop/rock. I remember it came with all sorts of suggested settings for all standard instruments like piano, bass, reeds etc, and indeed, it was great for those instruments..

If you are looking for a similar style of compression, I also used to have the ART Pro VLA which had a similar compression flavor (slow, dark, but also interesting and analog - for instance, I really liked it on electric bass, very warm and mellow)... it's widely considered one of the good cheap compressors out there... and now there's an improved mark II version out there.

For electronic music, for me the sound is better suited from a VCA-based compressor like DBX, SSL.... in fact I'm in the market for the typical SSL compressor many people use, the 2-bus G series compressor. I like the music from the big '80s SSL productions a la Trevor Horn or S.A.W. and that will fit for me... it's the typical, big '80s big production "glue" that's still so popular in electronica. But that's more expensive than the Avalon unfortunately.

If you do a search for "compressor" in the thread title at this site, you'll find a sea of threads about all kinds, expensive, cheap, and in between

Last edited by Reptil; 8th September 2011 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Had one. Loved the EQ, but the comp was just ok. Loved it on my hardware synths on the way into the box, and if I could find a Q like the 747 I'd jump on it. Still might get another one. Not for the comp alone though.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

love the eq on the 747, I don't use the comp so much

Superstringz - Evolver (Radio Edit) - Gung Ho! Recordings - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search