The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hard time programming enough upper end
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hard time programming enough upper end

I am fairly new to producing. I guess I'm in the genre of electro house- progressive house -- I'm not trying to follow the form genre for sounds or progressions exactly, but I look to some music I like in those for sound.. eq..

Felguk, Neelix .. two artists I enjoy.

When I compare the track I'm working on... and tracks previous... to them I find I am missing a lot of sound in the upper areas of the spectrum.

I'm guessing a little more knowledge of eq'ing will help me... but I think that I am not creating the proper upper end sounds in my mix.

Here is an example of what I'm working on..

Any ideas of a more full upper end? Percussion? Different synth/ sfx programming?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rather than type it again, may I direct you to comments I made about 'air' in this recent thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-talk-air.html

... You might find that info pertinent.

EDIT: Should mention... I haven't even listened to your track I'm afraid- wife is sleeping in the next room!... So this is just stabbing in the dark rather than specific to your mix!

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you need to add some type of distortion to the saw synth/bass. This will add some harmonics.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Add an exiter.
Old 8th September 2011
Personally I don't feel this lacks hi's. Usually the opposite is a problem for most people, too much and harsh hi's. Agree about the distortion or exciter on the bass.

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Personally I don't feel this lacks hi's. Usually the opposite is a problem for most people, too much and harsh hi's. Agree about the distortion or exciter on the bass.

I guess I agree... the hi hat area and such is fine.. maybe I am talking more about upper middle fill.

I tested out some suggestion... added an exciter and some distortion... also reworked the talking bass synth to reach a little higher freq...

gelling much better

here is the rework following some suggestions if you care to listen.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search