The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
oh man....an OBX is on ebay Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
Andromeda A6 is ugly.
Ugly with beautiful sound!

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Still ugly, believe or not. Its ugly, just admit it. We're men, not girls. It's ugly ugly ugly. Cool sound bro, play it again. But ugly.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I could think of a few better ways to spend $6500 lol
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Suddenly... all discrete, point-to-point circuits don't seem so appealing anymore heh

I think The Real MC said it best... if you're going to get something vintage like that, get one unit, 2 max. If you get too many, you'll be so busy fixing them... you'll have no time to play them.
it SOUNDS soooooo appealing tho

if these behemoth synths have so many problems after time passes I cant picture my A6 holding up better than something made with metals and discrete circuitry over time
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have succesfully repaired several OB-Xs/Xas/8s and think Greg Montalbano has as well and I don't think we have ever had to replace all the chip sockets or molex connectors. Most fixes were simple and straightforward. The OBs are just as reliable as other vintage synths in general and MUCH easier to work on than something with all chips soldered. I'd much rather work on an Oberheim than a Moog, ARP, Sequential, or Yamaha CS.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Just to balance opinion on reliability a bit...I have three of the original OBX. Two of them were restored at a cost of around $400-$600 each about five to seven years ago and I've never had a problem with them since. One of them is a rare dual-filter version (extension designed by JL Cooper).

On the internet, you tend to here about all the problem-stories but not the success-stories....and therefore you get a skewed impression of its reliability.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I have succesfully repaired several OB-Xs/Xas/8s and think Greg Montalbano has as well and I don't think we have ever had to replace all the chip sockets or molex connectors. Most fixes were simple and straightforward. The OBs are just as reliable as other vintage synths in general and MUCH easier to work on than something with all chips soldered. I'd much rather work on an Oberheim than a Moog, ARP, Sequential, or Yamaha CS.

what your saying is true...

and what don is saying is also 100% true...

the issue is doug you fix them to get them working after they break.

don is looking to fix it so it doesn't break and to bring it to better than new spec in some portions. he does this stuff all the time like giving a cs series synth a higher lfo rate into the audible range for fm etc...

and i was wondering if you had any leftover parts like chips and whatnot for a jupiter 6. trying to put together a "survival" kit for a friend who's paranoid about a chip blowing out on her and looking at a huge repair bill later on in life as she wants to keep it indefinately. and yeah you've sold her a lot of stuff in the past.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

THAT OBX owner is on drugs.

The keys are all messed up man. I have a 10 year old Alesis with no key problems at all.
Old 9th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
I have succesfully repaired several OB-Xs/Xas/8s and think Greg Montalbano has as well and I don't think we have ever had to replace all the chip sockets or molex connectors.
That is very relative...

The unit i am servicing (from Tom Babic) was actually serviced by Greg Montalbano. After its arrival to Tom's home: 1)PWM was dead. 2)Bender calibration was totally off, both up and down. (dirty trimmers -> value changed, all due to transport, none of it is Greg's fault)

After i did the service, recap and calibration to it, it worked perfectly. For one day. Once he took it home, after one car transport, unit started having some horrible noise. Bad grounding on some of the voice boards due to old molex connectors (along with the bad molex cables).

My unit was beaten up as hell, yet it works perfectly since the day 1. Didn't even recap the voice boards, just the PSU (and installed new regulators). The reason i will replace molex connectors in my unit is a prevention.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post

On the internet, you tend to here about all the problem-stories but not the success-stories.
Very very true!

In a similar view, a surgeon once told me, people look up their ailments on the internet and only see the 1% horror stories. No one ever posts the 99% of success stories.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
My unit was beaten up as hell, yet it works perfectly since the day 1. Didn't even recap the voice boards, just the PSU (and installed new regulators). The reason i will replace molex connectors in my unit is a prevention.
OK but your previous post sounded like it was meant to scare off people from buying Oberheims not just a problem with 1 OB-X. The fact is most repairs do not take a month to fix and doing so-called "prevention" repairs for some possible future failures is not necessary or even advisable (more likely to do damage to parts and boards in the process). The only exception to that would something like the 30 year old tantalum caps used across power rails on some units which should always be replaced since they short out when they die.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ive restored a few too. Easiest synth in the world to fix and work on(did I just jinx myself?) The thing I would say is there seem to be quite few around it a terribe state of disrepair.. One thing I found was you always need to resolder all the molex pins..which is quite common on anything old and electronic that uses those big molex connectors..the solder joints crack.
Old 9th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
The fact is most repairs do not take a month to fix
Sorry, I forgot to point out i was doing full restoration during that time on his unit. Will re-edit my post.

Anyway, as of prevention repairs, for me they're part of every full-restoration process that i do. I don't consider doing work on a 30 year old piece before i replace all the CMOS chips, electrolytic and tantalum caps. From technical point of view, none of this work is necessary. My only job should be to replace the faulty part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
On the internet, you tend to here about all the problem-stories but not the success-stories....and therefore you get a skewed impression of its reliability.
I have written like 10 repair stories so far. Only one, out of ten, was not instant success (though it will be success and will be reported in this thread). heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
In a similar view, a surgeon once told me, people look up their ailments on the internet and only see the 1% horror stories. No one ever posts the 99% of success stories.
Haha! So true! heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

what would you guys say the shelf life of an A6 built in 2009 is versus an OB-X thats built 30 years earlier

would you anticipate that the OB-X would still be a longer lasting synth even with the extra 3 decades of use?

....also re: CODE 8 - whats the difference between Omega 8 and CODE 8? Is it just the arpeggiator and wavetables?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Its like being married to Keira Knightly, but shes wearing a suit of armour.

That would be a funny sig. line.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

This sounds nice and its not $6500, just saying.

OP-X PRO-II: Famous 80ies Songs! - YouTube
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think $6500 is way too much for any of the big polys.
Indeed. Unless you want a piece of history. Some look forward, some look back...

Quote:
Don, I hope you have that famous piece of carpet insured? after all, its been the background to some of the most mint examples of these beauties over the years
Perhaps Don has no small children. I envy you.

Quote:
keybed needs to be completely redone. new bushings and springs look at those uneven keys.
True, you'll have to dump some MORE money into it. Like buying a beat up 57 Chevy and fixing it up. It's a nostalgia thing, but not in a bad way.

Quote:
OBX: One of the two synths that inspired me the most as a kid (the other synth was a Pro One).
I hear you. As cheesy as this sounds, when I was 8 years old I was inspired by Queen's soundtrack to "Flash Gordon". Even when I was 8 I thought the movie was really silly, but the music... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBfuXXGqFL8

I guess the only reason I don't own one myself is that I don't think I would use it enough. Someone who buys classic instruments should use them for music, not penis extensions.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the sound and tone of the OB-X is worth that kind of money not $6500 for 4 voice though

5k for an 8 voice having recent service is worth considering to me though

synth people should be thankful prices are this reasonable for some of the tones you can get with this stuff

guitars and stringed instruments are wayyyyyyy more $$$$$$$$ - for what you pay for a used Jupiter 8 on ebay you won't get far up the chain of pro grade luthiers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think it's ugly..... Do you think that Leica's are ugly as well? Classic look , utilitarian, designed to do simple tasks and that's it! Nothing more!

Who needs bells and whistles? (looking up from tweaking a preset on the Access Virus TI)

As for this particular item, 6k is ALOT!

And, this particular vendor takes very good glossy photos.... so it's hard to really see any defects on the items, especially with a white background.
Pics look nice but I'd rather see some 'real snapshots' of it on a sofa or something. As it is, I can't really judge its cosmetic condition.....
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah all his pics looks like he uses Tire Brite on his synths.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

guitar guys are ****ing nuts. overpriced guitars are just '69 corvettes for mid-life honey-do's. We need to stop using them as validation for overpriced synths
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

It looks like this OB-X is an 8 voice based on his updated info. I still think it's a bit over priced. I believe the last 8 voice OB-X in great condition that sold on eBay went for 5k.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Was really thinking about grabbing this but the seller couldn't have been anymore rude if he tried in his email response to some questions.

Has anyone else emailed him? He acted like he couldn't be bothered to know ANYTHING about it other than general "it works" responses.

I'll happily take my overpriced collector purchasing elsewhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
As if you could actually afford this. LOL
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
It looks like this OB-X is an 8 voice based on his updated info. I still think it's a bit over priced. I believe the last 8 voice OB-X in great condition that sold on eBay went for 5k.
I found another place that would sell one serviced with 8 voices for 5k also so that 6500 does seem to be high
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
As if you could actually afford this. LOL
Plenty of people can afford this, without feeling a thing towards their pocket. You're the guy who made 10 threads on buying a Minimoog Model D and couldn't even take figure out how to power on your spanking new Voyager right?

Cut it out.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
You're the guy who made 10 threads on buying a Minimoog Model D and couldn't even take figure out how to power on your spanking new Voyager right?

Was this supposed to be witty? Maybe next time.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
guitar guys are ****ing nuts. overpriced guitars are just '69 corvettes for mid-life honey-do's. We need to stop using them as validation for overpriced synths
you can hear a difference otherwise why would anyone know the name Stradivarius

you're talking about projecting an acoustic stringed instrument into halls and other venues - usually without amplification and being able to hear both quiet and loud passages while an audience sits there coughing and playing on their iphone.

that costs $$$$$$ and it's worth it - I have a Ramirez R4 which isnt even a concert level guitar more of a top end study guitar and they're now around 3k

on the price flip side a stringed instrument made by a true master can last for hundreds of years and actually improve with age unlike most electrical gear

electric guitars not so much an issue , just buy the regular brands the sound comes from your hands and style not the instrument so much
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
Was this supposed to be witty? Maybe next time.
Wit not, but you saying someone can't afford something is pretty awkward. Who the hell are you, but a rookie who thinks he knows it all?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...g-model-d.html
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

I guess some one finally caved in and paid the inflated price for this OB-X.

oh man....an OBX is on ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Oberheim-OBX...item45fcf8ead1
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
I guess some one finally caved in and paid the inflated price for this OB-X.
In UK people pay more than that for a JP8, so that final price is no shock tbh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search