The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
roland sh-201 thoughts?
Old 7th September 2011

roland sh-201 thoughts?

been reading so many comments that it sounds: metallic, plastic, cheap, nasty, thin etc etc. its not that expensive and was released in 2006, so its not even old. but I've also read its got an easy layout, which i would benefit from as i haven't mastered subtractive synthesis (still learning). really considering getting it seeing as its only a few hundred dollars. potential bargain?
Old 7th September 2011

wow its newer than a nord lead 2x.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
been reading so many comments that it sounds: metallic, plastic, cheap, nasty, thin etc etc. its not that expensive and was released in 2006, so its not even old. but I've also read its got an easy layout, which i would benefit from as i haven't mastered subtractive synthesis (still learning). really considering getting it seeing as its only a few hundred dollars. potential bargain?
I think so. You can get em usually for $300 or maybe even less. You can get some experience and probably sell it for what you paid for it.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
wow its newer than a nord lead 2x.
It's nowhere near a Nord Lead though. Anyhow, I've used it before and I liked it. You can get a good sound out of it, it's just that most people grow out of it pretty fast and want something better. Prices are usually low because they circulate in the used market a lot. You'd probably get more praise for it from an "average user forum" being that most people on GS tend to prefer more expensive, vintage, or boutique gear. Don't let that discourage you though, there are many under-rated synths and it's good that they stay that way

What I liked about it, is that it has enough sliders and knobs to make changes very easily with a nice visual approach. It has arrows to show the signal path, and like I said, you can make nice sounds with it. I didn't like the cheap construction of it; mainly the knobs. There was something else that put me off too...It's been a while but I think the built in effects were a bit rough. It reminds me of a more modern version of the JP8000/8080 synths, but I prefer the 8000 over the SH-201. It's easier to use the SH-201, but I just like performance on the 8000 better. I also prefer a ribbon controller over a d-beam...never been a fan of those beams...

I would say that you would definitely be happy with it, especially as a starter synth.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

there are better buys for just a bit more money. Alesis ion, Roland JX3p, Korg MS2000
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboticefx View Post
It's nowhere near a Nord Lead though. Anyhow, I've used it before and I liked it. You can get a good sound out of it, it's just that most people grow out of it pretty fast and want something better. Prices are usually low because they circulate in the used market a lot. You'd probably get more praise for it from an "average user forum" being that most people on GS tend to prefer more expensive, vintage, or boutique gear. Don't let that discourage you though, there are many under-rated synths and it's good that they stay that way

What I liked about it, is that it has enough sliders and knobs to make changes very easily with a nice visual approach. It has arrows to show the signal path, and like I said, you can make nice sounds with it. I didn't like the cheap construction of it; mainly the knobs. There was something else that put me off too...It's been a while but I think the built in effects were a bit rough. It reminds me of a more modern version of the JP8000/8080 synths, but I prefer the 8000 over the SH-201. It's easier to use the SH-201, but I just like performance on the 8000 better. I also prefer a ribbon controller over a d-beam...never been a fan of those beams...

I would say that you would definitely be happy with it, especially as a starter synth.
yes i think i would be happy with it. i want a nord lead 2x rack but they cost so much more.
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
there are better buys for just a bit more money. Alesis ion, Roland JX3p, Korg MS2000
cheers ill look into them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search