The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Image-Line Harmor Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Image-Line Harmor

I love this plug

Been playing with the demo all day and will buy it tonight, it's a sound designers dream and then some.

Well done Image-Line

Harmor

PS Win demo only
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Only for Windows?

Yawn.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I can't see it being too long before the mac version is out
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I can't see it being too long before the mac version is out
Harmor itself won't ever be Mac native. Developer just confirmed it yesterday. but there is something even better to run your Harmor. This is from their official channel

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

amazing sounds just amazing sounds, too bad it wont be a mac version . Software synths are getting better and better , hard synths now need to catch up, the day that soft synths sound better than hardware is finally here and there is no going back.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah it sounds good but you're getting a bit over-excited, kilon.

Image Line has done the Additive + Subtractive before with Harmless and Ogun (and both sound just as good, even though Harmor has more features including their GoodSoundizer... or SoundGoodizer, whatever... lol). And they did lots of hybrid FM + subtractive too, so they know their hybrid stuff. And their synths already sounded good before... and so have other manufacturers. It's all a matter of programming them well...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Yeah it sounds good but you're getting a bit over-excited, kilon.

Image Line has been doing the Additive + Subtractive thing for a while now. And FM + subtractive too. And their synths already sounded good before... and so have other manufacturers. It's all a matter of programming them well...
So it is well designed , I dont get why this is over excited. This one definitely way better than their previous plugs and the presets seem from the demo at least extremely good, way better than anything I heard from a hard synth (workstations excluded). And I am a person that hardly gets excited.

And this not the first synth I hear that sounds better than hardware. I already own , Alchemy , easily competes with my Andromeda and Motif.

Actually the whole not for mac thing, made me click that link and find out they use delphi for FL development , now I appreciate them even more, I was always a fan of Delphi.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

"...sounds better than hardware". Really? It does a minimoog better than a minimoog? Does it also do a Jupiter-8 better than a Jupiter-8? Does it do the Oberheim filter as well as Oberheim? Does it do sax sounds better than Yamaha's VL1? Can it get that DX7 sheen? Do its modulations sound as good as what you can get out of an Xpander? Can it do bleeps better than Entrainer's modular (not that I'd know )?

See how silly it is to throw generalizations to the wind? Why not just evaluate this additive/subtractive synth on its own merits, instead of throwing garbage statements out there like that?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
"...sounds better than hardware". Really? It does a minimoog better than a minimoog? Does it also do a Jupiter-8 better than a Jupiter-8? Does it do the Oberheim filter as well as Oberheim? Does it do sax sounds better than Yamaha's VL1? Can it get that DX7 sheen? Do its modulations sound as good as what you can get out of an Xpander? Can it do bleeps better than Entrainer's modular (not that I'd know )?

See how silly it is to throw generalizations to the wind? Why not just evaluate this additive/subtractive synth on its own merits, instead of throwing garbage statements out there like that?
The garbage all in your side, because you jump from my sound great statement to your emulation statement. You make no sense whatsoever. Sorry if I dont share your dogma that nothing can sound better than Jupiter 8 , or the synths you mentions but I never was a religious person. Chill out and pray.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Popcorn is ready
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Uh kilon - what does praying have to do with anything? You're resorting to cheap shots now?

You said it's "better than hardware", as if there was only kind of hardware that can be bettered. That's basically what I was getting at. Apparently that flew right over your head...

If you say, "ooohhh that does additive better than the K5000" at least you're comparing something with something...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh kilon - what does praying have to do with anything? You're resorting to cheap shots now?

You said it's "better than hardware", as if there was only kind of hardware that can be bettered. That's basically what I was getting at. Apparently that flew right over your head...

If you say, "ooohhh that does additive better than the K5000" at least you're comparing something with something...

ok let me put it simply

This demo is far better than anything I heard before concerning a hardware or software synth.

Sorry I cant make it any more clear than this.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Still sounds extremely digital to my ears, like all software.

Just doesn't have that warmth / color hardware has.

God, that dubstep sound makes me sick already.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, on the Harmless page (Harmless being the "older, smaller brother" of Harmor) they state that the sound is very proudly digital and artificial, yet powerful and pleasing at the same time. I think it sounds good nonetheless and if I go software (I'm all hardware now) this is probably the first synth I'd buy.

From the Harmless page: "This one is digital, and proud to be. Everything is fake, the tone generator, the filter & its resonance, the phaser, all performed on the harmonics, before partials are computed."

So. It's not analog. Hopefully people will see the comparisons are just silly, and they'll judge it for what it is.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

funny thing... every time i read about a new softsynth... get impressed by the video demos... and try it out for myself

i'm greeted with the most anemic sound ever... i know how to program synths... i enjoy it and spend lots of time doing it... and while i've made very interesting sounds that my hardware is unable to replicate... the sound is weak.. uninspiring with the exception of the programming and modulation that are occurring.. but in the end.. its about sound

software will continue to improve.. Kilion is as expected, as usual though
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Despite the overly exaggerated praise given earlier in this thread, this still sounds very good. I've been comparing it to demos from other Image Line synths and their additive stuff clearly beats all of their FM and VA stuff. It makes them all sound thin - it's probably one of the fuller sounding soft synths out there.

I've never used additive though, and looking at that interface makes it seem like I'm seeing something in chinese. I don't understand it at all... how big a learning curve do you guys think something like this would have for someone who has done mostly subtractive?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd like to muck about with it a bit more.. however it's just so different from anything i've used it makes my eyes glaze over.

I've learned to just not even get excited by demos of ANYTHING. just download it and try it. I have yet to hear a 100% demo unless someone is actually playing a keyboard in front of you on the video..
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, that goes without saying. Demos can be deceiving.

But there's something about the bass response on this soft synth (I listened to all 14 demos on the site) that makes all the other Image Line demos seem anemic by comparison. It's a very full, round sound, even though it is unmistakably digital. It's still pleasing.

The interface worries me much more than the demo sound quality. The question isn't does it sound good (I think it definitely can), but could I make anything good with it, or would it be like me trying to pick up a violin and making it sound like a dying cat because my idea of knowing how to play it doesn't work in reality?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

that's my concern too, is there a manual on the thing?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoBrow View Post
Popcorn is ready
i've been wanting to sample that snippet of video for live visuals for years.

10 points to griffyndore if anyone can name the movie..
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It's a complex beast to program and one will have to learn how to use it but it is a bloody awesome plugin and well worth the learning curve.

The envelope manipulation is fantastic and the fact you can load any sound file into it (including mp3's) gives it uber flexibility. If your into sound design it's unmissable.

Just a shame it wont be available for mac users

Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Many musician are coming back to win. It's already past thing that OSX performed better than win after 7 came out. Get a PC and get infinite accessibility.

By the way the sound seems nice. The difficult additive synth rebirth...
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
Many musician are coming back to win. It's already past thing that OSX performed better than win after 7 came out. Get a PC and get infinite accessibility.

my win 7 pc and its random reboots strongly disagree with you. The only fact is that Vista has been the greatest exodus from any kind of software ever observed in history of computer and the reasons are well known , documented , not even open to disputes as even Microsoft accepts them. Win 7 will never bring that crowd back and it is not. Numbers dont lie. The only infinite thing windows give is annoyance. Have been 20 years windows user since windows 3.1 (and still I am) and macos user for 4 years , there is no software out there good enough to make me change back to windows.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
Many musician are coming back to win.
Not to fan the flames but I seriously doubt that. The vast majority of users that I know, who've spent considerable time on both systems, always prefer OS X. Myself included.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

pc.. mac.. who ****ing cares haha

my win7 64 pc was built by a friend with parts i choose.. aircooled and overclocked core2duo e2500 @3.6. it is left on for days... with multiple programs running and hasn't ever crashed... and thats with considerable hardware interfaced with it that could cause potential problems

i think mac just has better quality control than whatever cheap PC people get that make them think they suck

i plan on getting a mac for numerology.. i wish developers had it easier and there were only one platform.. they're basically the same guts hardware wise

harmor does sound thicker and less anemic. anyone with harmor also own razor and want to compare the two?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
my win 7 pc and its random reboots strongly disagree with you. ...
Your PC either has a hardware error or you've got software problems. OR, you have insufficient cooling.

I run my DAW on PC with 30 tracks+ and plugins, it doesn't randomly reboot, in fact it never randomly rebooted. Homebuilt Core2Duo, quality components (good power supply/motherboard, RAM etc).
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Your PC either has a hardware error or you've got software problems. OR, you have insufficient cooling.

I run my DAW on PC with 30 tracks+ and plugins, it doesn't randomly reboot, in fact it never randomly rebooted. Homebuilt Core2Duo, quality components (good power supply/motherboard, RAM etc).
a) Ubuntu runs great and win xp did not have this problem. Hardware problem excluded b) latest drivers, standard win 7 install [I have installed almost no software after a new format I made to partition and dual boot ubuntu] , the reboot sometimes occurs even at boot [windows load not BIOS]. When I say random I mean random. software excluded. c) Reboots, even when the computer is idle. Dont use anything beyond word and firefox , this is my work pc. Insufficient cooling excluded too.

This is the first time random reboot that occurs to me . So your lack of random reboots does not say me much, and you try to rationalise an extremely complex problem as windows bugs. But then windows is full of unique and fresh problems. WinXp had corrupted installs because of bad updates , again update broke my messenger, viruses with antivirus onboard and no malicious websites visited , etc etc etc. We are talking about a 20 year old, long , extremely long list of problems, compared to both of my mac that besides some occassional crashes it has been rock solid 4 years now .

At least from where I am standing , after owning 10 windows pc, both desktop and laptops with as you call them top quality parts [if there is such thing], those 2 OSs are like night and day. And to be frank , overall my experience with ubuntu is very good too, not as good as macos , but certainly alot better than windows.

And really there is no worry , moved my pc to ubuntu and never looked back, still got win 7 formated and installed but I dont use it at all. All my work now takes place in UBUNTU. Back home use macs for my music. Could not be more happy.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Geez this thread goes "banana"...

I understand Kilon about his first reply It sounds amazing.
Analog? Digital? WTF?
My strobe gives me better results with non upsampled filters and oscillators...sometimes it's the contrary...
C'mon guys it depends how it fits in the mix...it depends if you're producing deep darky cutting edge minimal techno or country music from Nashville.... it depends really of the contest...
Guys there are too many variables to speak about that with certitude...

Now...go tweak that synth til it feets your ears...

bye.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I 'd say go for reaktor's razor ..;sounds beter to my ears and has a lot miore functiojnality ...it's also based around partials ....lots of filer types based on partials and an awesome vocoder ...lots of crazy harmonic effects
Nice
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Well there's no doubt it sounds better than my circular saw. The sawtooth on that sounds really harsh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search