The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog mf-105 murf & boss sl-20 slicer Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Moog mf-105 murf & boss sl-20 slicer

Hi,

I'm just looking for a straight forward answer (or to be pointed in the right direction), i've been scouring videos and threads but can't seem to find what I'm after.

Obviously the MURF can do all kinds of weird and wonderful things that the SL-20 can't do, but can the MURF simply chop up chords and output all frequencies simultaneously and rhythmically like the SL-20? (as demonstratd in this video: Boss SL-20 Slicer Demo - YouTube ).

I'm after this basic sl-20 slicer function but if the MURF can do this then i will consider one of them to avoid being limited by the SL-20's 50 preset patterns.

Cheers.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
I actually own both.

I was really hoping for bank change/patch change options on the slicer, but it's not going to happen. HEXE did some mod, but he said it cost as much as the pedal and was too difficult to sell as a kit.

Lately, I've been sending midi notes to the filters of the murf. You can set up a sequence of midi notes in ableton, and send it to the murf. I do this with guitar, and can get some sequenced/synth-like tones that are really cool. You could try only using one of the frequencies that is close to your instruments frequency, and send a sequence to just that band.

I also noticed that if you turn the mix to zero, push the filters to zero, and run an lfo to the mix, that you can get tremolo-like sounds. I have been using silent way + motu ultralite to convert ableton's envelopes to an lfo/cv that the murf can read. This gets me close to the sounds of the slicer, but it's still not as pronounced.

Basically...through a really convoluted process, you can get close. But they are different beasts.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Alright, good news for you, kinda.

Set the murf to pattern 1(eq), push down all of the filters. Send an envelope to the mix cc....You now have a tremolo/slicer that doesn't alter/color the original tone.

You could make your own envelope shapes, maybe get close to the patterns on the slicer.
Old 8th September 2011
I really like the murf but didn't know about the sl-20 ... are there other analogue pedals in the murf / slicer category available that you can buy new?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I really like the murf but didn't know about the sl-20 ... are there other analogue pedals in the murf / slicer category available that you can buy new?
What are you wanting to do that you can't with the midi murf and ableton?

I'm going to sell my slicer and buy another midi murf. One for tremolo, one for sequenced filtering.

I might be able to sell my goatkeeper tremolo now.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
What are you wanting to do that you can't with the midi murf and ableton?
I don't use ableton or anything ITB, ymmv. I try to keep analogue synths with analogue effects, just as a personal preference. I'd consider an sl-20 to go with something like my virus, but somehow that isn't quite as inspiring to me.

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I don't use ableton or anything ITB, ymmv. I try to keep analogue synths with analogue effects, just as a personal preference. I'd consider an sl-20 to go with something like my virus, but somehow that isn't quite as inspiring to me.
Virus = va, right? heh

Anyway, I understand what you're saying.

Well, as long as you have a hardware sequencer that can send envelopes to particular ccs, then you can use midi to control the mix in cv to create tremolo effects. If you have a way of further manipulating the envelope, there's no reason why you couldn't create sliced effects. The slicer is square waves, so if you could adjust the pulse, you could create sliced sounds.

I really wish it was possible to change the banks/patches, ugh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search