The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stuff not yet made but I'd like to see.. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th September 2011
Stuff not yet made but I'd like to see..

In your slutty years of research, have you come across stuff that very nearly fits the bill perfectly but with one glaring omission? For me it's great tabletop stuff that doesn't fit nicely into racks.

.. For example .. I'd very much like a USB MIDI knob controller in the same vein as the Behringer BCR or Novation Remote, but in 19 inch rack mountable form.. Doepfer sell a kit but I'm not sufficiently gifted with a soldering iron or engraver to do it justice..

I'd also like DSI to make the Mopho or tetra as a 1 unit rack - same knobs and display, but stretched out along a 1 unit faceplate instead? Heck, I'd love to see a fully knobular Mopho keys (without the keys) in rack form, and even better a mono Evolver rack as knobby as the key version... But still, imagine stacking and chaining 1U Mopho or Tetra racks when we need a bit more polyphony..

Or a Strymon El capistan or similar boutique FX without the box enclosure, which could be faceplated into a rack, API lunchbox style, so that we can build up a modular rack effects rig? I'm not prepared to void a warranty by ripping the guts out of any higher end guitar pedal myself...

Does anybody else have some of those 'if only they did this' stories to tell?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

A wavetable synth with 9,000,000,000 variable waveforms and a nintendo power glove as a control interface, with matching cape and goggles for dramatic effect. The keyboard should also be transparent and have a plasma globe effect going on underneath.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by convex View Post
A wavetable synth with 9,000,000,000 variable waveforms and a nintendo power glove as a control interface, with matching cape and goggles for dramatic effect. The keyboard should also be transparent and have a plasma globe effect going on underneath.
LMFAO heh
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thank you, I felt good about it...

In all seriousness, I have to second a thread I saw around here a week or two ago where someone was talking about wanting to see a new hardware FM synth that took advantage of all the technilogical advancements that have come along since FM was in vouge. I find myself using loads of FM lately, but it seems like so much more could be done with it with the right tool.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
Or a Strymon El capistan or similar boutique FX without the box enclosure, which could be faceplated into a rack,
Turn it 90 degrees sideways and create rackmounting for that. Put a few other FX next to it so you've got a 3U or 4U (can't be bothered to figure out the exact dimensions) rack with 3 FX.

Quote:
Does anybody else have some of those 'if only they did this' stories to tell?
Fatar TP8S keyboard in a controller. No sounds, just really solid build quality.

(they're only putting it in synths)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

A high quality midi keyboard controller with a large amount of quality, programmable buttons, knobs and sliders ( no pads please ) and an old - school vibe ( wooden sides etc ).
If someone made a controller like the Prophet 08 PE without the synth engine and for half the price I'd be all over it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd like a VCO poly-analogue in portable battery-powered form with knobs and built-in keys which you could individually assign to hold. And a unison mode with arpeggiator.

Kind of like the Monotron, except it's 2-Osc and bigger, badder and more destructive.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Patchable analogue semi modular with memory and intelligent randomize function (bass,keys,pads,bells,fx,fm on or off,seq on or off etc) ... nicknamed the happy accident
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Patchable analogue semi modular with memory and intelligent randomize function (bass,keys,pads,bells,fx,fm on or off,seq on or off etc) ... nicknamed the happy accident
Can it include a robot to randomize the patch cables as well?
Old 7th September 2011
CXP
Gear Maniac

A virus you send via email that automatically strips auto-tune off of whatever you listen to. The listener is forced to hear what their favorite "pop stars" sound like.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
I'd like a VCO poly-analogue in portable battery-powered form with knobs and built-in keys which you could individually assign to hold. And a unison mode with arpeggiator.

Kind of like the Monotron, except it's 2-Osc and bigger, badder and more destructive.
I'd like to see Korg take 2 of those filters from the Monotron, and make a stereo low-pass filter, then sell it at the same price as the Monotron.

This would surely be a piece of pi$$ for them to do, and they would sell like HOTCAKES.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just want Korg to make a analog synth with a proper keyboard, knobs and midi.
I am pretty sure it is on the horizon as they are upping the ante with each of those analog boxes that they have released recently. I just want it now.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Can it include a robot to randomize the patch cables as well?
No that would just be silly.

As for this idea being to much, it would be great for additive or fm engines to have a degree of control over random patch generation.( I own a k5000 so you can understand my plight )
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXP View Post
A virus you send via email that automatically strips auto-tune off of whatever you listen to. The listener is forced to hear what their favorite "pop stars" sound like.
Contained within the high frequency content is a coded version of the actual pitch sung, coming soon in autotune 2012
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

A tabletop (Xpander - style) 8-voice Oberheim OBX

best regards
Massimo
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic Pro X.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Logic Pro X.
You're talking about GarageBand Pro X, right?
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Turn it 90 degrees sideways and create rackmounting for that. Put a few other FX next to it so you've got a 3U or 4U (can't be bothered to figure out the exact dimensions) rack with 3 FX.

Fatar TP8S keyboard in a controller. No sounds, just really solid build quality.

(they're only putting it in synths)
The guitar effects rack is certainly doable, but it'd be great to see a lunchbox type modular box which could be added to as required, and the profile would better suit the rack aesthetic.

Absolutely agree on the quality synth keyed, too.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
A synth where you could have two keyboards and a foot pedal and would allow you to use the pedal to glide the pitch from the one keyboard to the other.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

It would make me really happy if DSI synths allowed you to daisy chain the 4 sequencers together, so you could do 32 steps or 64 steps.

Alternately, I would love to have a Waldorf Q with a voltage trigger input. Or a Korg Radias with a voltage trigger input (and a proper keyboard).

Or honest, more step sequencers that have midi AND voltage triggers.

Also, I think that any synth that is more than two parts multitimbral really ought to have at least two midi inputs. It would make life much easier.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd just like to see more aftertouch on keyboards in general and more keyboards with pitch bend/mod wheels rather than those silly joystick things on most Korg and Roland synths.

But- a 76 note controller synth action keyboard with pitch bend, 2 mod wheels, aftertouch, long ribbon controller, 2 x-y controllers and some knobs/sliders. For a moderately reasonably price? (OK- dream on!)

And more affordable pc-independan midi patch bays like the MTP AV.

Synths? Well there are so many already.

And...and... OK I'll stop.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I want a version of Ableton Live that runs on an iPad mainly as a sampler. Not a controller. A touchscreen interface add a Duet and your off to the races.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search