The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Let the music play" - Shannon, kick reverb Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

"Let the music play" - Shannon, kick reverb

OK, so bass synth of this classic Freestyle track has been discussed. But how do you process the kick drum reverb to make it explode like that?
It's gated of course, but there are other things going on there too...

Any ideas?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like pretty rough reverb... maybe an Alesis Midiverb?

There is some discussion here about 80s low-end reverbs.

I'm finding it difficult to hear it very clearly as the track is quite busy from the outset... but I think there's a bit of pre-delay on there... which does help with the 'exploding' effect that you mention.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict
AMS

AMS RMX 16 NonLin 1 or 2 preset followed by a 1176 compressor! Dynamite!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Seems like somebody at least have some sort of clue... Interesting!

Meanwhile I've been experimenting with layering a kick with all sorts of your average Scott Storch-esque kicks, hipass filtered and manipulated with emvelopes, to fit nicely with the main kick drum. While this certainly is another creative option, it would be nice to achieve some sort of result similar to this awesome track...

What makes these non-linear reverbs of the AMS so special? Would something like an Ensoniq DP4 work as well?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict
I'm sure the DP4 will do fine..i used to have one..i miss it!
An 808 into any Non Linear Verb will prob be fine....just eq it dark, keep in mono and possibly add some pitch mod..easily done in DP4..there are q a few presets in there already i think..it basically just a big room/plate which is then gated afterwards and then compressed with the drum.
Read about the AMS technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMS_(Ad..._Music_Systems)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search