The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my thoughts on using software drums vs hardware 808 909 etc... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

my thoughts on using software drums vs hardware 808 909 etc...

well i used boom, which is pro tools packed drum machine, at first i thought it sounded great, having been so used to hardware it was cool to hear a different take on drums. i instantly heard the rounded kick that we here on the radio today. the drums sounded totally modern and i thought this is great. it sounds like stuff on top 40. then i listened to them a few more times and it hit me how bad they are, i originally thought the software sounded good because i associated it with modern music. however when i re plugged in my 909 and listened intently, the 909 just blew away all software. it just bangs harder and crisper, it sounds organic. software it great but i still love my hardware.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here fishy fishy... heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

uhh... thanks for sharing?

wtf?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
well i used boom, which is pro tools packed drum machine, at first i thought it sounded great, having been so used to hardware it was cool to hear a different take on drums. i instantly heard the rounded kick that we here on the radio today. the drums sounded totally modern and i thought this is great. it sounds like stuff on top 40. then i listened to them a few more times and it hit me how bad they are, i originally thought the software sounded good because i associated it with modern music. however when i re plugged in my 909 and listened intently, the 909 just blew away all software. it just bangs harder and crisper, it sounds organic. software it great but i still love my hardware.

that all may be true.. but the fact remains.. if i ever hear another 909 hat or ride i'm going to spontaneously combust.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

"mmm, fish"
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fish??
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

this makes me feel a lot better for just dropping two grand on a 909.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I spent 2400 like a schmuck but got a 90 day warranty.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I always feel the same when I replace soft synth sounds with my hardware analog stuff.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fish??
DH thinks you are trolling.

Which is funny because there is a difference between trolling and trawling...one a fishing term the other has something to do with the internet...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use 909 and 808 samples on my MPC60 and S950 which is supposed to be decent.. but I still want a 909 again. Having all analog synths and using only digital samples of drum machines doesn't make sense and is too imbalanced - powerful analog synths with sampled drum machines = no bueno. Powerful analog synths + powerful analog drums = super happy good. I think I need to invest in a 909 again, and 808 too..before buying anymore synths.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a newbie what is trolling?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I use 909 and 808 samples on my MPC60 and S950 which is supposed to be decent.. but I still want a 909 again. Having all analog synths and using only digital samples of drum machines doesn't make sense and is too imbalanced - powerful analog synths with sampled drum machines = no bueno. Powerful analog synths + powerful analog drums = super happy good. I think I need to invest in a 909 again, and 808 too..before buying anymore synths.
I would disagree with you. Analog synths plus digital drum samples is a winning combo for me...I like how they each have their own very different sonic space.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

When I had the 909, it cut through soooo easy and mixed easier..now, using 909 samples, it is much harder to make kicks and stuff cut through everything else or even shine. An analog filter helps for added phatness...but it still aint the same. Heck, the real 909 through an HP filter, verb and DP2 was nutty potent.

Never had an 808, but I've been using samples of it of course. Maybe that's the reason I rarely used 808 samples as my primary kick (only as an under-layer) when I had the real 909 (for the above reasons - not cutting through). But, I can only imagine what a real 808 must be like instead of samples, especially after owning a real 909 ...and also with all the favoritism of the 808 as the best tr and almost any drum machine ever.

I'd be happy with just an 808 and 909 as my only hardware drum machines; best combo. Everything else and all the other classic old korg, yamaha, linn, tr, etc I wouldn't mind using just samples of. Well, maybe except the Tempest, I wouldn't mind having

But I would agree in some regards of using digital samples...as samples would be more processed and have a nice compressed sound depending on sampler..because the 909 can be too sharp, clean, poppy and unprocessed sounding sometimes depending on taste or usage (and 808 too I bet); needs compression.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
DH thinks you are trolling.

Which is funny because there is a difference between trolling and trawling...one a fishing term the other has something to do with the internet...
Exactly. Trawling for trolling heh

The recent rash of "noobs" who've just joined and have no idea about the internet or forums or electronic is very... "interesting."

Hmmmm...

Old 7th September 2011
not all drum samples are created equal.

some sound like ass others sound great
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Heck, the real 909 through an HP filter, verb and DP2 was nutty potent.
What kind of effect was the DP2 producing generally?
Old 7th September 2011
The fact a 909 can blow away Boom, does not mean it blows away 'all software'.
I like the variation of using sampled drums rather than one machine.
It's all a matter of personal taste though. If two well known drum machines do it for you, what's the problem?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm a newbie what is trolling?
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

First lesson for the newbie: Use The Fine Search.

You're talking about a hot-button topic (analog vs. digital, hard- vs. software) in terms of absolutes. Which wouldn't be that bad if you'd make it a somewhat fair apples-to-apples comparison. As chrisso says, you're painting with an overly wide brush.

Here, go try Tape909

Furthermore:

Quote:
software it great but i still love my hardware.
Why is it "great" if you just stated one sentence earlier that the hardware blew it away? Why do you still have the software then if it's inferior? Doesn't make much sense, don't you think?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

ha went through this exact same thing when comparing a polysix to the korg legacy polysix.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

To OP: at the end of the day, your 909 will end up as an audio file on your DAW? So.. it is a sample too, your either using a sample someone else has created or your using your own when you record the 909 as an audio file.
So whats the difference?
With the real 909 and 808 you can tune and alter decay etc which is useful.
Honestly i think samples are fine, its more important how you process those samples.
For example you run a 909 pattern from Maschine, you stem it out of your DAW into seperate channels on a mixer, you send them to a little reverb and to a sub-group and throw a compressor over them.
Do the same with the real machine.
Put the rest of the arrangement around the drums, do you honestly hear much of a difference. If i were starting out i wouldnt bother buying old drum machines, its just not worth the money they go for. And yes i do own both the 808 and 909 i only keep them because im attached to them for what they are.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
To OP: at the end of the day, your 909 will end up as an audio file on your DAW? So.. it is a sample too, your either using a sample someone else has created or your using your own when you record the 909 as an audio file.
So whats the difference?
The difference is in the analogueness. Every hit is a bit different, making it sound more alive than samples, that are always the same.

Of course the 909 is not all analog, sampling it's digital samples should have not much difference.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry i just dont subscribe to that, yes with analogue vco synths its a different thing, you get that subtle detuning giving it life, but with drum machines its just not that noticable, especially after processing in the way i described and in the context of a mix.
I cant recall hearing a difference between kicks on a 909, maybe ill do a test and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
The difference is in the analogueness. Every hit is a bit different, making it sound more alive than samples, that are always the same.

Of course the 909 is not all analog, sampling it's digital samples should have not much difference.
Old 7th September 2011
well with the best 909 packs now Id say the difference is negligable. It was about time someone did it properly and now they have. Multisample - Round Robin - many / all variations into a sample instrument. So the only difference with the hardware would be the summing of the sounds in the hardware vs in the box.

Sounds Outside the Lines

Definitely there is variation in the hits of analogue instruments...using 1 sample over and over sounds repetitive to the human ear IMO...one of the reason analogue sounds so good to us organic humans.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict
Hardware vs software argument #2039845.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Round robin sampling gets around that. Eventually your brain stops discerning kicks.

Quote:
And yet it has! The clock of the 909 responsible for playing back samples is not accurate and the VCA adds something too. See https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post7004322
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Having a physical well built machine makes a lot of differnce.Something that breathes and makes mistakes inspires and dictates a musical outcome.If your not inspired you wont make it to the next level.Some people are inspired by what their puter alows them to do.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hardware is Software
Software is Hardware

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search