The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
controlling peaks Saturation Plugins
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

really... get over yourself. you're starting to make a fool of yourself. shall we just say... you have your way, others have theirs. how's that? it's obvious that many, many, many, many, many others dont have a prob "shredding" monitors, or "needing" to put a frackin limiter on a master for ANY reason, and then there are people like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Ha ha.

Whilst you may think you are offended, if you were as wise and nolligible as me, you would recognise that what you are experiencing is just nOObie rash... you'll grow out of it eventually.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Peaks shouldn't be a problem. Mix with your speakers nice and loud and you'll have it solved.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo View Post
really... get over yourself. you're starting to make a fool of yourself. shall we just say... you have your way, others have theirs. how's that? it's obvious that many, many, many, many, many others dont have a prob "shredding" monitors, or "needing" to put a frackin limiter on a master for ANY reason, and then there are people like yourself.
Wow... I'm gobsmacked.

I can read that you are in Texas and all that... but, seriously... have you really ZERO sense of irony?

I was obviously joking around with kcearl. He clearly got it, seemingly the only person who didn't was you.

... hold on...

... are you now calling my bluff... pretending to be George-Bush-stupid just to get a rise out of me?

Lulz... you are a funny guy! You actually had me thinking you were serious for a second there!!!

Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
Want peak control?
#1 ASDR
or
#2 Waveshapping
or
#3 'overdrive'
or all of the above.

As Simon pointed out, its the individual tracks that combine as a whole that have a much bigger impact than specifically slapping a limiter on the master bus for loudness. You will never get real loudness, the rock and roll kind from a brickwall limiter.
Care to expand on the overdrive and waveshaping techniques you are mentioning? Thanks for the post btw, good stuff.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

@Rolo, I'm really sorry... I was being facetious in my last post...

To be honest, I never really suspected that you were being clever... I get that you genuinely just don't get it.

Let me help you...

Quote:
really... get over yourself. you're starting to make a fool of yourself.
My post that you quoted-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Whilst you may think you are offended, if you were as wise and nolligible as me, you would recognise that what you are experiencing is just nOObie rash... you'll grow out of it eventually.
...Was a direct reference to your post-

Quote:
thats kinda ruff. how about this...i've been doing this for 3 PLUS 24 years and never had sh*t on th master unless a client asked for it. and even then i fought it. and i never had a prob with clipping.
... So yes- I was DELIBERATELY taking the p*$$ out of myself.

It's called irony:

Irony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People outside of your hometown do this sometimes.

You mightn't have picked up on it, but the 'give' was the miss-spelling of 'nolligible'... which is in fact spelt 'knowledgeable'.
In fact, this was explicitly raised in consequent posts.

To summarise, kcearl is a welcome addition to the community & clearly has a good sense of humour. There is some general discussion related to the topic. There is some more discussion that's not particularly related to the topic. And then there is you... the embarrassing drunken uncle who's just suddenly & inappropriately pulled out his Colt 45 & began threatening people in a paranoid manner and creeping everyone out.

EDIT:

P.S.

Quote:
i've been doing this for 3 PLUS 24 years
Quote:
a frackin limiter

I'm sure things were different 30 years ago when you learnt your craft, and I get that you miss those days... but times have changed; I'm not the only person who uses limiters.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

ooh... sooo sensitive! would somebody please give this little boy a hug? it's clear he needs attention. you have all the clear indicators of being a classic bed wetter.

now. i aint no old bugger. i dont work on old music, i dont practice old techniques, i own and work in several major mix houses and again i and ALL of the many professionals i work and have worked with would never put a limiter on a master to protect the speakers.

you can put a cracklin ham sandwich on your master.... YOU go and do what YOU want to do, I personally think is a moronic notion to put anything that may affect my signal flow, dynamics and headroom on a master for a reason as stooopid as that.

to be quite honest, your notion, at least to me, is the only noob thought here.

now, as i said before, i have my ways, you have yours, is that ok lil' guy? or is it that you just NEED me to submit to your ideas so that you can feel better about yourself?
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

and by the way... that Bush and Texas comment is stereotypical and pretty much sums who and what you are.

i personally would not classify you as a brit with nasty crooked yellowed rotted teeth, with a face to match and a stick up your butt just because you are from the UK.

I know better that that.

It's clear this thread is in the Sh***er so, i'll move on now.

Thank you and good day.
Old 10th October 2011
Im a Brit who lived in Houston

so Id wave my gun while sporting crooked teeth you basturds!

Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

awesome! love it : )
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Don't worry guys, everyone in Texas is usually upset for a week or so after watching a mudhole get stomped in the face of their beloved Longhorns at the hands of their hated rival the University of Oklahoma.

Don't take it personaly, they're just taking their anger out on you.

On that note

55-17?

SOONER BORN AND SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!

Boomer sooner, Texas sucks!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

man, that's cold lol. but, to be honest longhorns have lost their luster with me.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

To get back at the original poster's question, in order to control the peaks on the master, one could use a limiter, tape/tube saturation, clipping (or a combination of the afore mentioned).
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have my ways, you have yours, is that ok lil' guy? or is it that you just NEED me to submit to your ideas so that you can feel better about yourself?
WTF are you smoking?

I'm not asking you to change your 'ways'... I couldn't give a [email protected] how you work.

It's YOU that's up in here telling me-

Quote:
you're starting to make a fool of yourself.
Quote:
moronic

I was just explaining to you what was clearly understood by the person I was joking with... because evidently from your post #61, you didn't get it.

Old 10th October 2011
ok Rolo AND Simonator cool it please.
Stay on topic.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Simonator and others use a limiter on the masterbus... before coming here this was news to me - I've always been told to leave everything off it.

But the emphasis here is to keep headroom on the master bus. At least -10. When you're mixing in 24 bit, you can leave ample headroom.

How? Easy - adjust your faders so that all the tracks are hitting about -10 at the most when its all summed together. Simonator was not saying that the limiter does this job (I don't think) - instead, its your faders (and the level you record at initially); his limiter usage appears to be as a sort of precision guide and/or for handily controlling the very high peaks. Whether that's a necessary step is beside the point.

Another handy thing to remember is that if you record too hot all the time, you'll always be pulling the faders back to get it to peak around -10 on the master. Try tracking with peaks on individual tracks hitting around -20 to -15 ish, in an average tune you hardly have to move the faders for the master to sit more or less in the right spot once the tracks sum.

I don't know about other DAWs but in protools its easy: just keep everything in the green. That way your fader use is always fine adjustment and mixing, not gross changes - you shouldn't feel like you're fighting the faders. In any recording, always check if your error isn't a step back from where you're looking: eg, master bus? no. faders? no. Too hot? yes... etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search