The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which software FM synth? Virtual Instrument Plugins
View Poll Results: Which FM software synth?
NI FM8
39 Votes - 66.10%
IL Sytrus
2 Votes - 3.39%
IL Toxic Biohazard
4 Votes - 6.78%
LinPlug Octopus
4 Votes - 6.78%
Rob Papen Blue
4 Votes - 6.78%
Other
6 Votes - 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Which software FM synth?

Trying to make some decisions on soft synths these days and wanted your slutty opinions on FM, Additive and Wavetable softies.

Starting with FM (other threads will follow for the other types of synthesis), which one(s) wins: NI FM8, IL Sytrus, IL Toxic Biohazard, LinPlug Octopus or Rob Papen Blue?

I would like something with a nice organic (not thin) sound, lots of features and an easy to use GUI. I'm not trying to replicate DX sounds, I know old DX/TX's are the best blah blah blah...

What I want is a more clean, modern (but warm) and complex FM sound and no, I'm not interested in buying more hardware (like for instance the FS1R/TG77!)heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fm8 is extremely modern and warm.. IMO bass and leads are a little thin on it however.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Toxic Biohazard is one of my favorite softsynths. You just can't beat the price either, so much synth for your money.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was actually going through the same search so am glad I saw this thread !
In my opinion FM8 is overpriced and so is Blue.
I tried Rhino and was underwhelmed, it was a bit glitchy on my mac. Octopus sounded good but I couldn't stand the interface.
I also tried DCAM cypher and couldn't gel with the interface either, and while it sounded very good it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of FM sound ( too analog ).
I have to say Toxic Biohazard looks pretty good, I will try it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

For me my favourite FM by far is Octopus. Its not only that it sounds good, very easy to use , and also uses additive so its not just an fm synth, but also it has rather unique presets the most unique I have listened to in any kind of FM synth.

I never clicked with FM8 , I just dont like its interface that much. But frankly when it comes to fm , I prefer my blofeld hands down, so far the best fm synth I have tried.

Its great fm synth because is not an fm synth, but because you ask for software I will mention here a soft synth , z3ta+. I really hope that now z3ta+ is out they will release a mac version. I think that usually its better when fm synth is not pure blood, pure blood fm synth tend to be difficult as fm is not exactly easy to tame.

I hope also Alchemy 2 comes with some fm included, that will truly rock .
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't overlook vember audio surge. It has amazing FM synthesis capabilities.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

zebra?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Hexter (free)
It's missing that typical vst plastic vibe ^^
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jeez... Why isn't FXPansion DCAM Cypher in that list????????
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why settle for an FM only synth? Get u-he Zebra2 it has FM synthesis and it kicks sonic ass
Old 8th September 2011
JES
Lives for gear

I like FM8 for the interface and everything. Mostly I use FM for pads, though. Icy. Also there is a killer Reaktor Ensemble but I forgot the name.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I like FM8 for the interface and everything. Mostly I use FM for pads, though. Icy. Also there is a killer Reaktor Ensemble but I forgot the name.
Hey man, what kind of music do you make? I'm in Montreal too....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
FM8 is the only one that lets you load DX patches. It's the *REAL* FM VSTi.
Old 8th September 2011
restpause
I accidentally voted for OTHER but I meant Toxic Biohazard.

It's been a great buy. It was totally easy to use. The WAV as waveform really expands the capabilities of this one.

I also use Vember Surge which has some simplified FM Synthesis in addition to it's other types of synthesis (VA additive/subtractive, wavetable additive/subtractive).

My best sounds come from Surge. Surge can also load WAV's as waveforms too.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can't believe I'm the first to vote for sytrus. An absolute beast of an fm synth.

Looking for warmth from an fm synth, that is like looking for love from a hooker, bro.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

The FS1R might as well be hardware. With that magnificent software editor it has, there is no need to touch the unit.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do you want to rephrase that?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Well, I have NI FM8, Linplug Octopus, Big Tick Rhino, Toxic Biohazard.

NI FM8 is true FM synth - it has nice sound, nice preset browser and general good presets. Because it's "true" FM Synth it's hard to program. I don't use it

Big Tick Rhino - I dont use it

Toxic Biohazard - it's more like a hybrid synth. 6 oscillators and simple FM possibilities thanks to FM Matrix. It's very easy to program, it's powerful (FM Matrix + loading custom waveforms), it can create everything from atmospheres, pads, to some good basses, synth, lead sounds. It's my favourite synth but I wouldnt call it FM synth.

Linplug Octopus - it's very similar to toxic biohazard but instead of waveforms (like toxic) it uses additive synthesis.

---------
So, if you want real FM synthesis go with FM8. If you want something that is easy to program, everything is displayed nicely on one screen then pick Toxic or Octopus.

About Big Tick Rhino i can't say anything - i know that if you buy some additional libraries then it offer plenty of sounds.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

There you go Uhe Bazille - a modular FM synth that runs at audio rate throughout, plug outputs back into inputs if you want

free for now
KVR: Berlin Modular - Bazille 0.4
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
There you go Uhe Bazille - a modular FM synth that runs at audio rate throughout, plug outputs back into inputs if you want

free for now
Oh that looks sexxxay! I wonder if it is a CPU hog like Tyrell N6 though.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 Hexter
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 View Post
Oh that looks sexxxay! I wonder if it is a CPU hog like Tyrell N6 though.
A patch takes up to about 5+% on my i7 4ghz system, when audio
rate option is turned on. Highest yet on my system
Omnisphere and other plugs usually don't crack 1.5%
Old 8th September 2011
m127b
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post

free for now
This is sick cool.
But it's slightly on a different league compared to FM8, so they do not really ommit each other.
Will definitely get Bazille when it's out. First virtual synth that really caught my attention since a while.
Only problem I have with super small companies like uHe is that most of them are absorbed by the big players eventually and the products become abandonware. But anyway, this guy has been doing great stuff for a while now and he has shown consistency, all of which is not common and deserves all the support we can give for the sake of the industry and our own sake
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Zebra2 is an amazing synth. I'll support anything he does, especially hiring a ui designer
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userb View Post
This is sick cool.
But it's slightly on a different league compared to FM8, so they do not really ommit each other.
Will definitely get Bazille when it's out. First virtual synth that really caught my attention since a while.
Only problem I have with super small companies like uHe is that most of them are absorbed by the big players eventually and the products become abandonware. But anyway, this guy has been doing great stuff for a while now and he has shown consistency, all of which is not common and deserves all the support we can give for the sake of the industry and our own sake
+1 Bazille is great although not quite the same as a typical digital FM synth with a matrix.
I think U-he is a great company and I agree about supporting them.
Urs has said he had refused offers by NI to hire him so I wouldn't worry too much about them getting absorbed unless they were in big financial trouble, and from what I've heard so far he is doing very well for himself.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Don't overlook vember audio surge. It has amazing FM synthesis capabilities.
I checked and it has only 3 oscillators...I'm looking for something with at least 6 for the more complex stuff...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Jeez... Why isn't FXPansion DCAM Cypher in that list????????
It's a cool synth, I already have SSquad but again, I'm looking for something with more oscs!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonUnit View Post
Hexter (free)
It's missing that typical vst plastic vibe ^^
But a terrible GUI IMO...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Why settle for an FM only synth? Get u-he Zebra2 it has FM synthesis and it kicks sonic ass
Yeap...this is indeed an interesting one...although after reading the manual it's still not clear to me how many oscillators it can use for FM.

This one is capable of additive synthesis too but again I don't know how powerful that is...any info is welcome!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Yeap...this is indeed an interesting one...although after reading the manual it's still not clear to me how many oscillators it can use for FM.

This one is capable of additive synthesis too but again I don't know how powerful that is...any info is welcome!
Zebra is extremely powerful and flexible, you can do a lot of FM stuff and mix it with additive synthesis / arbitrary waveforms ( as oppposed to being limited to sine waves ).
Flipside is you won't be able to have as many operators as a pure FM synth, and also for each FM oscillator you have to choose between self FM ( oscillator feedback FM-ing itself ) or FM from another source but not both which might be limiting compared to a pure FM synth.
But you can also do a lot of other things like having modulated filters between FM operators.
I know very little about FM sound design to be honest so I can't say if there are FM sounds you just couldn't do with Zebra or if you just have to think about it differently.
There are a few discussions about Zebra and FM and KVR that might help you.
Also on youtube the U-He channel as a ton of videos about Zebra and a few of them cover some FM tips and patch design.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search