The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad owners rejoice! A Lemur app may very well be near... Control Surfaces
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

I cant handle this anymore, I think i am going for and iPad in the weekend, or do you think there will be a new one for january?

I will fall apart if it comes with usb conection.

Maybe I will go just for a second hand one to save money. :D
Old 7th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I cant handle this anymore, I think i am going for and iPad in the weekend, or do you think there will be a new one for january?

Well, iPad2 came out in March, so if the trend continues, I'd say you can expect a new one in the next 3 - 6 months. If you can wait, rumors include a faster processor, higher pixel density display, and better battery life.

Of course, the new release will be accompanied by discounting on older models, which is just as exciting
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, a bit spendy for an iOS app.. But if it does what the original hardware did, then it's worth keeping in mind what that originally sold for! Lots more expensive, even when factoring in the cost of the iPad itself.

And now for the "i want da android vershun!!!11!" threads..
Old 7th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The iPad 1 was released in April 2010, and the iPad 2 was released in March 2011, so Apple is expected to release iPad 3 in the first quarter of 2012.
Apple hasn't said anything official, though... this is all assumptions and rumors so far.

You can save a significant amount of money if you want a second-hand iPad 1.
IME the iPad 1 is certainly good enough to play any of the instrument/MIDI apps in the Apple store, and physically it's a little more robust than the iPad 2.
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Looks great. But the pricing is all wrong for an iOS App. We would ALL be buying this without question if it was $20. As it is most of us are holding back until we find out more. At the current price they're loosing out on truck loads of impulse sales. What the Jazzmutant devices cost is irrelivent. This is iOS we're talking about. Very interesting though. But I won't be buying just yet. This will probably be half the price before too long.
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

$50 seems pretty fine to me for a software with this options and capabilities, its much cheaper than a lot of plug-ins.
Old 7th December 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

iOS price my pants. This is a niche product with tons of development behind it.

Are you serious ??? Really people are you comparing this to frikkin UpsetBirdThrow something that millions of sheep buy in blindness?

You would expect people to respect work in this forum...

But it seems everyone wants everything for chips or free or given money just to try it....

And in return they rage how no one pays for their music.

50$ is a correct price!

EDIT: I can't afford it myself for some time but that doesn't mean I have too buy it right now!

OMG this entitlement is driving me crazy and I'm a reasonable person online....
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

The price is fine, that doesn't bother me. People can either choose to buy it or not.

I took a look at the templates page, and it looks pretty impressive with a lot of templates, but it still seems geared a lot towards ableton live users and dj software.

I will wait for some in depth reviews and then decide if I want this or not.
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
iOS price my pants. This is a niche product with tons of development behind it.

Are you serious ??? Really people are you comparing this to frikkin UpsetBirdThrow something that millions of sheep buy in blindness?

You would expect people to respect work in this forum...

But it seems everyone wants everything for chips or free or given money just to try it....

And in return they rage how no one pays for their music.

50$ is a correct price!

EDIT: I can't afford it myself for some time but that doesn't mean I have too buy it right now!

OMG this entitlement is driving me crazy and I'm a reasonable person online....
+1000. I paid $50 for V-Control Pro and consider that a bargain considering its capabilities and how much I use it.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks to all for the info on the Lemur app. Not sure I have that much use for it yet, but good to know.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
I would buy this in a second but not at that price. Every single music app I have including touchable and Grid ends up not getting used. Their fine for clip launching but thats all (to fiddly to mix and edit vi's) Will Lemur be any different?
We buy IOS apps because their cheap. If they dont work out then theres no regrets. (I know all the classic, but cliché arguments about dev costs. But same deal for artists. We have had to deal with massive drop in income streams which means less money to throw away. Im not greedy
Im still interested though but now I need to research and find out what I must download to get it to work,and wait for some user reviews.
blah blah blah. I'm going to pick up an ipad and the lemur app over the weekend. As far as I'm concerned the ipad has now gone from a toy to a serious instrument. As far as I know, you've never used a lemur and know little about it. But it's really a pretty serious environment for programming midi controller stuff - on a higher level than something like Max, which makes it a lot easier and faster to get something useful. Nothing on the ipad up until now compared with the lemur for this kind of thing - all sorts of ignorant folks talking about how the lemur was so much better, based on little else than the lemur is newer technology. But this is fantastic. The app seems quite reasonably priced to me.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubrew View Post
If it works as described then it'll make me buy an iPad. £35 isn't too bad for what it can do but is expensive compared to the competition.
? What is the competition? I'm serious. I'm picking up an ipad (had the original ipad but sold it rather quickly) because the lemur is pretty amazing. touchosc is nice, but it really doesn't begin to compare. On the other hand, if you're not into programming your own stuff, then the Lemur is overkill, I suppose.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post
Well, iPad2 came out in March, so if the trend continues, I'd say you can expect a new one in the next 3 - 6 months. If you can wait, rumors include a faster processor, higher pixel density display, and better battery life.

Of course, the new release will be accompanied by discounting on older models, which is just as exciting
I thought of that, but if indeed there is to be a new model every year, one could use that argument to never buy one....(of course, I"m using my own argument to convince myself to buy one rather than wait)
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
$50 seems pretty fine to me for a software with this options and capabilities, its much cheaper than a lot of plug-ins.
I would imagine that anyone who used the hardware lemur thinks that the price is quite good - of course, there are likely some who are pissed that they don't get it for free, but that's another matter. Thus far I haven't seen anyone who knows about what you can do with the hardware lemur complain - just people who don't know anything at all, who expect all ipad apps to be super cheap.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
The price is fine, that doesn't bother me. People can either choose to buy it or not.

I took a look at the templates page, and it looks pretty impressive with a lot of templates, but it still seems geared a lot towards ableton live users and dj software.

I will wait for some in depth reviews and then decide if I want this or not.
No - while there is lots of stuff for ableton users, that's just one aspect of it. You have all of those templates, but then you have an entire programming environment. As far as I can tell, it's all available in this app. I'm really bleeping excited about this. But it's really a serious app - it's likely that many people would probably be better off with touchosc, but then again, those bouncing balls are pretty fun. And then from what I can tell, you have access to all of the templates that people wrote for the lemur.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

By the way for ableton in order to use the template (Mu) you need to have Max4live, otherwise you will be designing the tempalte and midi maping it (as many other daw users will have to).

But Max4live lets you customize even more the Mu Template.
Old 8th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubrew
If it works as described then it'll make me buy an iPad. £35 isn't too bad for what it can do but is expensive compared to the competition.
? What is the competition? I'm serious. I'm picking up an ipad (had the original ipad but sold it rather quickly) because the lemur is pretty amazing. touchosc is nice, but it really doesn't begin to compare. On the other hand, if you're not into programming your own stuff, then the Lemur is overkill, I suppose.
For me that would be TouchAble.

I've always thought the Lemurs were really cool and I'm going to spend some time researching this app, but I presently have TouchAble and although I haven't spent very much time with it yet, what I have seen is enough to have eliminated any desire I had for an APC40.

Anymore, Ableton's Live Suite (w/ MAX for Live) is all I care use. So how the app can handle the various aspects of Live is my primary concern. Being able to program your own controls is nice, but not something I see myself currently needing as my free time is rare and that isn't how I would care to spend it..

All in all I also think that the price is fair. The fact that TouchOSC sells for $4.99 doesn't mean that Lemur is overpriced, but that TouchOSC is probably a great buy.

So from my perspective, that is Lemur's competition.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would imagine that anyone who used the hardware lemur thinks that the price is quite good - of course, there are likely some who are pissed that they don't get it for free, but that's another matter. Thus far I haven't seen anyone who knows about what you can do with the hardware lemur complain - just people who don't know anything at all, who expect all ipad apps to be super cheap.
Your comment about price is aimed at me. I meant in my original post the app is to expensive if its just going to sit on my ipad never being used. Hence why I said I will wait for some reviews.

You sound to me like someone who always wanted a lemur but wasn't able to afford it so from your point of view this is a bargain.
As I understand it you sold an Ipad 1 before becasue (if i'm reading between the lines) the apps didn't turn the dream in to a reality. This has been my impression with all controllers for the ipad so far.
But lets be under no illusions you have a specific agenda in regards why/how you would want this app. That's cool, but dont put me down becasue of what I said earlier. Devs if they could get off with it would charge us hundreds for their ios app. Good thing some of us complain about prices then isnt it. Checks and balances.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

What assumptions you make. No - I had a lemur while it was still being sold. I did sell it, but I am pretty aware of its potential. My comments stand, and I would emphasize them after your ridiculous comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
Your comment about price is aimed at me. I meant in my original post the app is to expensive if its just going to sit on my ipad never being used. Hence why I said I will wait for some reviews.

You sound to me like someone who always wanted a lemur but wasn't able to afford it so from your point of view this is a bargain.
As I understand it you sold an Ipad 1 before becasue (if i'm reading between the lines) the apps didn't turn the dream in to a reality. This has been my impression with all controllers for the ipad so far.
But lets be under no illusions you have a specific agenda in regards why/how you would want this app. That's cool, but dont put me down becasue of what I said earlier. Devs if they could get off with it would charge us hundreds for their ios app. Good thing some of us complain about prices then isnt it. Checks and balances.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Your just an angry bloke looking for an argument. Im not playing.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

I'll wait and see how it works as a MIDI controller. I don't need it for Ableton, as i use Touchable, and i don't think anything can touch that, not even this. So all i'll need it for is MIDI control. If it supports NRPNs properly, i'll buy it right off!
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And then from what I can tell, you have access to all of the templates that people wrote for the lemur.
It looks really nice and it certainly has a lot more features than TouchOSC, which is one app that I currently use on my iPad. The physics portion of the Lemur seems really interesting.

I'm pretty sure that the Lemur app is great for people who have the time, desire and the energy to program and make their own templates. I'm not one of those people though.

I use the Logic template that comes with TouchOSC, and that works pretty good, letting me control all different aspects and things in Logic.

I didn't see any Logic template for this Lemur app, and I don't think that I'm about to make my own full Logic template, as that seems to be quite a daunting task, and not something that I would choose to spend time on.

If a fully blown Logic template is available for it, then I will definitely consider this Lemur app.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Funny, I saw this shift quite a while ago: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...emur-ipad.html
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Can someone go buy it and report back. Hopefully someone bias free.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

I'd be happy to buy this if there was a demo so I could see what I was getting for my $50.

$50 is rather a lot for something that I may not even find useful.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
I'd be happy to buy this if there was a demo so I could see what I was getting for my $50.

$50 is rather a lot for something that I may not even find useful.
Surely there are demos for the lemur hardware. That should give you a pretty good idea.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

I meant a demo that I can play with, to see whether it will work with my system.

Practically every instrument and host on the pc has a demo, I don't really see why iPad software, at least above a certain price, should be any different.
Old 8th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
I meant a demo that I can play with, to see whether it will work with my system.

Practically every instrument and host on the pc has a demo, I don't really see why iPad software, at least above a certain price, should be any different.
+1000

my exact feeling, i don't want it for free, I want the ability to try it before spending 50 usd on it

I already buy many remote apps, and they don't fit with my way of working, i'm not very hurry to spend 50 usd on something i will never use again
Old 8th December 2011
Quote:
Surely there are demos for the lemur hardware. That should give you a pretty good idea.
I don't know of any places that have lemurs in stock, nor do I know anyone who owns one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search