The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is a prerecorded loop with original lyrics an original song? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Riddim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A given riddim, if popular, may be used in dozens—or even hundreds—of songs, not only in recordings, but also in live performances."
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
This is an uninformed comment. Instrumental music is still music...
I believe that was exactly the man's point, it's called sarcasm.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
This is an uninformed comment. Instrumental music is still music. Its just not a song. A "song" means words and lyrics and melody. Look it up in a music theory book, or the dictionary.

Bach didn't write songs. He did, however, write sonatas, canatas, preludes, fugues, dance suites, concertos, etc etc etc. None of these are "songs," all of them are different works of music.
I completely agree, but in layman's terms, I'm sure Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D minor (probably the most well known piece written by him) would be named "that song by Bach" and not "toccatta and fugue". Same goes for example with Für Elise or Moonlight Sonata (e.g. that nice song by Beethoven, "Für Elise").

I am aware that these are all semantics and while technically correct, in regular conversions with an untrained person in "musicianship", music history, music terminology or any combination thereof, the term that is most likely to be used is "song".

You know, IMHO+YMMV and all that crap.

LE: yes, in my previous comment I was sarcastic, I assumed (obviously wrong) that the whole "amirite" would make the sarcasm unmistakable.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
Damn I hate a shy bitch
Don't you hate a shy bitch?
Yeah I ate a shy bitch

© Lil Wayne
You forgot the 4th line, which makes me smile.

"she changed her name to my bitch"
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very few things are original anymore. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. I've found that the easiest path to good music is just going with whatever sounds best as long as you aren't breaking any laws. That includes loops of course.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
I completely agree, but in layman's terms, I'm sure Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D minor (probably the most well known piece written by him) would be named "that song by Bach" and not "toccatta and fugue". Same goes for example with Für Elise or Moonlight Sonata (e.g. that nice song by Beethoven, "Für Elise").

I am aware that these are all semantics and while technically correct, in regular conversions with an untrained person in "musicianship", music history, music terminology or any combination thereof, the term that is most likely to be used is "song".
Erm.........no.

If there's no words sung and no singer it's either a 'Track' or a 'Work' or a 'Piece'

I guess that the description can depend on the type of 'company' one is surrounded by and it's intelligence too though . I'm sure that the (c)Rap boys think that all music is a 'Beat' Similarly in one of the pubs near me there are a species of adult human that are quite far down the evolutionary scale and wear football shirts and have tattoos with 'Love' and 'hate' on their knuckles ( and that's just the women ! ) ....they drink seven or eight pints at lunch time and communicate in grunts ......... everything is a grunt to them regardless of what it is

Education my dear sir, Education !

Beer
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Education my dear sir, Education !
I agree, but (1) not all people have english as their mother tongue and (2) I would personally like not to ruin a good conversation due to differences in education - you know, avoid being an arrogant jackass (which ironically, I tend to be quite often for the comic effect).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search