The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sampling drums with live band, tap tempo, which sampler? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

sampling drums with live band, tap tempo, which sampler?

Hey guys and gals,

I have a couple questions I hope you can answer, Im going to give you a run down of the idea and the function I need and maybe you guys might be able to point me in the direction of how i can pull this off.

So the set-up and function needed are as follows.

Full live band, no click being sent to the drummer, my current sampler set up is SP-555 and Kaoss KP3, I have Live and launch bad, but no longer want to use the laptop for live performances.

During parts of the song I want to be able to trigger pre-recorded, pre-programmed 808 drum patterns, that are in the recorded versions of the songs.

I want to be able to convert them into loop samples (which i was before importing into my SP-555). Then be able to tap tempo to the drummer and trigger on the correct downbeat part of the song. Of course I would continuously hit tap tempo to make sure i was on time with the drummer.

But I am running into problems seeing as how tap tempo on the SP-555 only applies to the pattern sequencer rather than the loop on the pad. So my loop sample of the drum pattern could potentially be completely off from the tempo the band is on.

And since I also have the KP3 I decided try it using its sampler. Now the tap tempo function works as I would like it to. Playing the sample at desired tempo. But I run into the problem of:

A. If I already triggered the sample previously it wont start at the beginning of the sample (I am aware of the trick of holding mute, triggering sample, then hitting shift + align). And I cant always mute each sample at once.

B. I have need quicker access to more samples than just 4

So now I am looking for some solutions, other than ableton. Be it maybe some techniques you are aware of or a new sampler in the case of what I am trying to accomplish.

I hope this was clear. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingseal View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I have a couple questions I hope you can answer, Im going to give you a run down of the idea and the function I need and maybe you guys might be able to point me in the direction of how i can pull this off.

So the set-up and function needed are as follows.

Full live band, no click being sent to the drummer, my current sampler set up is SP-555 and Kaoss KP3, I have Live and launch bad, but no longer want to use the laptop for live performances.

During parts of the song I want to be able to trigger pre-recorded, pre-programmed 808 drum patterns, that are in the recorded versions of the songs.

I want to be able to convert them into loop samples (which i was before importing into my SP-555). Then be able to tap tempo to the drummer and trigger on the correct downbeat part of the song. Of course I would continuously hit tap tempo to make sure i was on time with the drummer.

But I am running into problems seeing as how tap tempo on the SP-555 only applies to the pattern sequencer rather than the loop on the pad. So my loop sample of the drum pattern could potentially be completely off from the tempo the band is on.

And since I also have the KP3 I decided try it using its sampler. Now the tap tempo function works as I would like it to. Playing the sample at desired tempo. But I run into the problem of:

A. If I already triggered the sample previously it wont start at the beginning of the sample (I am aware of the trick of holding mute, triggering sample, then hitting shift + align). And I cant always mute each sample at once.

B. I have need quicker access to more samples than just 4

So now I am looking for some solutions, other than ableton. Be it maybe some techniques you are aware of or a new sampler in the case of what I am trying to accomplish.

I hope this was clear. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Hi, I'm trying to do exactly the same thing. Did you find the way how to do this?
I would like to sync my samples loop with the real tempo of the drummer

Last edited by jackontheroad; 3rd September 2014 at 01:46 AM..
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Roland MC909

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search