The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs Hofner
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs Hofner

All of these pedals can be had new for less than sixty of the queen's sterling pounds.

Behringer VD400 - £17!!! (Supposedly a rip-off of a Boss pedal)
Artec Analog Delay - £30
Biyang Ad10 - £43
Hofner Analog Delay - £51
Akai Custom Shop Analog Delay - £59
MXR... these are a bit more, but I've seen them 2nd hand for £60

Any info/demos I can find on these are (understandably) very guitar-centric... but I'm thinking of picking one of these up (in the near future... super-skint right now!!).

I was curious if any of you guys had tried these, and had any opinions on using them for EDM production?
I personally make dubby techno/house. I can't afford to buy/maintain a decent tape delay just yet, but I like the sound of the BBDs too, so fancy getting one to tide myself over until I can get a Space Echo.

One general question... with these being GUITAR PEDALS... will I simply be able to route out of my interface to this, then back to a regular input... or will I need to step the signal down with a D.I. box prior to the pedal... then record it back through a microphone pre-amp input?... I suspect the latter, right?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
One general question... with these being GUITAR PEDALS... will I simply be able to route out of my interface to this, then back to a regular input... or will I need to step the signal down with a D.I. box prior to the pedal... then record it back through a microphone pre-amp input?... I suspect the latter, right?
I use a Pigtronix Keymaster for this these days, but you can get usable results by simply attenuating the signal before it hits the pedal (and then running it into a pre).
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Max delay times:

Behringer VD400 - 300ms
Artec Analog Delay - 440ms
Biyang Ad10 - 1100ms
Hofner Analog Delay - 330ms
Akai Custom Shop Analog Delay 1100ms
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I use a Pigtronix Keymaster for this these days, but you can get usable results by simply attenuating the signal before it hits the pedal (and then running it into a pre).
That looks like a nice little swiss-army knife! Beyond my budget at the moment though.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Biyang & Akai both look tempting.

I think the Akai is very new, and I can't find any decent demo of it.

Here is a nice vid of the Biyang:

Old 6th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

I don't have any of those ones, but I did get a Roland DC-20 recently. So far I haven't been all that impressed. Certainly don't think it has any of the magic of tape delays. It's OK though. Live tweaking gives something different to my setup. Self sustaining feedback is a bit of fun. I'm thinking how I may use some external feedback through one of my virtual modulars, with some filtering etc thrown in.

Overall, I don't find it greatly more appealing than my digital effects (I don't have anything special here either).

I probably haven't matched the impedance of the I/O very well, but levels are fine on this one.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Behringer VD 400 is great. I´m not an expert on this but it seems to be all analog bbd chips as opposed to artec/ hofner and also the

cheaper new electro harmonix pedals. These use different ic´s and sound very different. Also self oscillation doesn´t work well on these pedals. The

behringer is a clone of the boss pedal I think. There are two trim pots inside that I needed to adjust to make it sound really good. I guess at this

price they don´t calibrate it at all at the factory. This reminds me that I have to buy a couple more, in case they might discontinue it, and to maybe

build a stereo unit.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've got the Biyang. It's a digital delay with analogue feedback and filtering to make it sound like a BBD. Worth having, but if you like the sound of that consider an old 1U rack digital delay like the old Vesta-Fire/JHS/Digitech/Phonic ones, they have modulation (LFO) as well which allows for flanging and chorus.

I think the Akai you mentioned is made by Biyang!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I've got the Biyang. It's a digital delay with analogue feedback and filtering to make it sound like a BBD. Worth having, but if you like the sound of that consider an old 1U rack digital delay like the old Vesta-Fire/JHS/Digitech/Phonic ones, they have modulation (LFO) as well which allows for flanging and chorus.

I think the Akai you mentioned is made by Biyang!
Maybe so... but IIRC, I read that this entire new line of Akai 'custom shop' pedals is 100% analogue... so if you are saying the Biyang box is actually part-digital, it seems like the Akai branded box might be worth the extra cost.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is the Akai box: Analog Delay Analog Delay Effects Pedal

... but the demo on that site is some long-winded affair featuring the whole line.

I can see that this device IS currently on sale... does anyone know of any decent demo vids?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Heres a little demo of the Behringer (sound is from mopho):
Attached Files

VD400.mp3 (3.71 MB, 3861 views)

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe so... but IIRC, I read that this entire new line of Akai 'custom shop' pedals is 100% analogue... so if you are saying the Biyang box is actually part-digital, it seems like the Akai branded box might be worth the extra cost.
No it's based on Princeton PT2399 chips I think, Google them. The Akai box is the same as the Biyang AD-9 (edit!) I think, same as the pink one, just a nicer box I think. Edit: in a rush here, not got time to verify all this!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Heres a little demo of the Behringer (sound is from mopho):
Nice! Thanks!

Seriously tempting for £17!!!

300ms delay time is kind of restrictive though.

A single beat at house tempo (125bpm) is 480 ms... so this wouldn't even allow for 1/8 note dotted delays (360 ms)... let alone 1/4 note dotted.
Old 6th September 2011
If you must go bargain basement, I've heard good things about the Biyang but haven't used it myself. I have an EHX Memory Boy and RE20, both bought used, both are decent for the money. The EHX is very creamy and dark, suited to analog synths.

Really used is the way top go, there are hundreds of pedals on my local Buy&Sell board, I've bought and sold a fair few over the years trying things out, bargains can be had if your lucky. MXR Carbon Copy is supposed to be great and a favourite of people here. You'll want longer delay times, >500ms minimum imo.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've got the Behringer thing and really like it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
If you must go bargain basement, I've heard good things about the Biyang but haven't used it myself. I have an EHX Memory Boy and RE20, both bought used, both are decent for the money. The EHX is very creamy and dark, suited to analog synths.

Really used is the way top go, there are hundreds of pedals on my local Buy&Sell board, I've bought and sold a fair few over the years trying things out, bargains can be had if your lucky. MXR Carbon Copy is supposed to be great and a favourite of people here. You'll want longer delay times, >500ms minimum imo.

I'd ideally like to be able to do 1/4 dotted time... 720ms at 125bpm... so say 800/900ms to be safe.

I struggled to find max delay time of the MXR... it's not even on the company (Dunlop) website. I found a comment from someone saying they think it's ~600ms. Anyone here know the facts?
EDIT: it is 600ms

That EHX pedal sounds nice... and is affordable. 550ms max though.

The boss pedal seems expensive... starting to get into the territory of getting the actual Space Echo tape delay that it emulates!
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I really like the Behringer VD400 - it has a dark sound that suits analogue synths very well, and it really is a bargain.

If you need more delay time try the Behringer Vintage Time Machine. Same dark sound but with - I think - 550ms delay and added chorus/vibrato. Great and cheap!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayscape View Post
If you need more delay time try the Behringer Vintage Time Machine. Same dark sound but with - I think - 550ms delay and added chorus/vibrato. Great and cheap!
Welcome to the forum, and cheers for the suggestion.

With those specs & that price-point, I think I'd be more tempted by the EHX offering though.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does it have to be a pedal? Otherwise I would suggest one of these:

CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs HofnerDOD Dimension 12 vintage delay rare | eBay

Last one sold on the bay was $21.50, to get you an idea how cheap they are.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Does it have to be a pedal? Otherwise I would suggest one of these:

CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs HofnerDOD Dimension 12 vintage delay rare | eBay

Last one sold on the bay was $21.50, to get you an idea how cheap they are.
It doesn't need to be a pedal... not at all.

But... that box you linked to looks digital, no?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But... that box you linked to looks digital, no?
Ups, sorry! Yes it is digital.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
No it's based on Princeton PT2399 chips I think, Google them. The Akai box is the same as the Biyang AD-9 (edit!) I think, same as the pink one, just a nicer box I think. Edit: in a rush here, not got time to verify all this!
Been doing a little digging on the Biyang... turned up this:

GFS Pedals - Seymour Duncan User Group Forums

'The Biyang AD-8 (Tonefancier series) is a pedal based on BBD chips, it makes use of the MN3007 (1024-BBD chip) and that is steered by a MN3101 chip, this is the model they call 'the double chipset group'. This Biyang AD-8 can be concidered an analog delay because of the use of the MN3007 BBD-chip, note that a chip like the MN3007 is far from cheap!!

Biyang's AD-10 (Babyboom series) makes use of a PT2399 chip, and can be concidered a digital delay that emulates an analog delay.'

Furthermore, according to this: Biyang AD8 Analog Double Chip Delay Pedal

... The AD-8 also goes up to 1100ms

So it seems the AD-8 & AD-10 have VERY similar specs... only the 8 is fully analogue, whereas the 10 is semi-analogue.

Given that they are the same price, I'm unclear then why anyone would want the AD-10?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard of them, but it looks nice and well built:

Old 6th September 2011
in the tape delay realm, you can get a univox relatively cheap, probably same cost as your pedals there.

the downfall is they have this tape medium that can be expensive and hard to come by at times and the units are usually in need of some kind of repair.

mines still sitting dead. :(
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Never heard of them, but it looks nice and well built:
Seems like they can get pretty grungy.

... Starting to look like a very strong option at £43.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
in the tape delay realm, you can get a univox relatively cheap, probably same cost as your pedals there.

the downfall is they have this tape medium that can be expensive and hard to come by at times and the units are usually in need of some kind of repair.

mines still sitting dead. :(
Is that the one that takes the obscure cartridges?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Mellos tape delays are affordable too ... but look like they are not so fully featured & a pain to maintain.

I think if I were going tape it would need to be a Watkins Copicat or a Space Echo.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also, a lot of the cheaper tape offerings have a mechanical sliding-head system as opposed to a vari-speed motor. I've a preference for the latter.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Simonator - I don't know if you have a small desk or not? but if you have one hunt down a cheapo rack unit (digitech quad goes for little £s) route it through a couple of the channel strips and send a touch back to the delay unit in's....tweak the eq and return amounts to taste! If you have an analogue filter unit (I seem to remember a post that implied you might have) could be a great way to add some analogue grit.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Man...this thread is wanting me to replace my sde-1000 for an analog delay bigtime (sde it too gritty, being 8 or 12 bit and also digital).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search