The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs Hofner
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientbirch View Post
Here's a more aggressive audio clip from the MXR Carbon Copy.
Thanks. Sounds great.

So, this unit is the real-deal-analogue-kit-and-kaboodle?
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

This will give you just the real-deal-analogue-kit. There's probably no better sounding current mass produced analogue delay for the price.

For kaboodle, though, there are more arcane and expensive units. Vintage Deluxe Memory Man sounds better to some, but is above the budget. The old green MXR delay pedal is supposedly warmer too but I've never seen it for grabs. Talking about higher end delays, Wampler Faux Analogue (i.e. digital) Echo sounds and looks interesting from the demos. No pitch modulation, though.
Old 7th September 2011
sheesh. Im gonna grab one of those Behringers. for that money...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I wonder whether two dirt cheap analog delays configured in dual mono would add some affordable "lush" to humdrum stereo sources...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
CHEAP bucket brigade delay- Akai Vs Behringer Vs MXR Vs Arctec Vs Biyang Vs Hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808
sheesh. Im gonna grab one of those Behringers. for that money...
I did last night! I almost grabbed two....
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Yeah, I wonder whether two dirt cheap analog delays configured in dual mono would add some affordable "lush" to humdrum stereo sources...
Running the signal into two separate units, you'll never manage to get the phase aligned tight enough to preserve the sound.
However, if that is what you are after... then go for it.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good point; phase problems could be minimized by putting the delays in aux send loops and blending in wet signal to taste, but I really wouldn't expect to maintain "fidelity" anyway -- color, texture and movement would be the idea.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Trying to cluck my SDE-1000 now...F the digital.. gonna pick me up a nice BBD analog MXR carbon copy

I wish there was a nice analog reverb for a similar price as the MXR CC, so I can replace my other cheapy digital fx - midiverb II, and DP2....are there any? ...maybe i'd keep the MV2 (since it's awesome), but I don't mind ridding of the complicated DP2 (I prefer straightforward simple knobby fx units)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Good point; phase problems could be minimized by putting the delays in aux send loops and blending in wet signal to taste, but I really wouldn't expect to maintain "fidelity" anyway -- color, texture and movement would be the idea.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

What I'm talking about is the stereo phase alignment... not the delay phasing against the dry signal.
... if you manually twist the delay length/time knob, you are never going to get both pots in EACTLY the same setting... so one side of your stereo field will have slower delays than the other, and this difference will be exaggerated with each successive sounding of the delay.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it wont be the same as having a regular stereo compatible delay.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
maybe i'd keep the MV2
Indeed.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I get what you mean; in this context I'm not interested in adding delay to entire mixes, just stereo loops or phrases where messing with independent left and right delayed signals would yield polyrhythmic textures and spinning effects and the like, with analog colorations and pitch flutter artifacts.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 8th September 2011
If you decide to not go the bargain basement route check out the Moody Mushroom, not too expensive and way cool with optical sensor to control the pitch

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Trying to cluck my SDE-1000 now...F the digital.. gonna pick me up a nice BBD analog MXR carbon copy

I wish there was a nice analog reverb for a similar price as the MXR CC,
Analogue reverb = Springs , plates and delays with short times.
You can pick up Spring reverbs and delays pretty cheap.Plates are usually not so cheap.
In general, analogue delays and digital delays are so different you need both for different situations
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude
I wish there was a nice analog reverb for a similar price as the MXR CC, so I can replace my other cheapy digital fx - midiverb II, and DP2....are there any? ...maybe i'd keep the MV2 (since it's awesome), but I don't mind ridding of the complicated DP2 (I prefer straightforward simple knobby fx units)
I use the MXR CC for analogue bathroom reverbs :-) For a cheap spring reverb check out Doepfer A-199.

At the moment, I don't use any digital reverb. I grew a bit bored with the sound of digital reverb everywhere. Nowadays I prefer springs and delays for S P A C E. An old flavour that's become exotic again. I may get Strymon Blue Sky in the future, though. Digital reverb is a thing of its own when used well.
Old 8th September 2011
AvS
Lives for gear
I have two Korg SD200 analog delays. Cheap and great sounding.

Some roland Sh-2 through sd200 here:

http://www.steinholtz.d/snd/sh2_sd20...nchorus_01.mp3

http://www.steinholtz.d/snd/sh2_sd20...nchorus_02.mp3

Some places its run through a frostwave resonator for more dirt but you get the idea.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

buy an Alesis Wedge. i found my receipt from when they were being blown out - $111.19 shipped in 1998.
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
buy an Alesis Wedge. i found my receipt from when they were being blown out - $111.19 shipped in 1998.
I got one in my A6...
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear
I picked up an EH Memory Boy a few weeks ago and I really like it. It isn't good for everything, but it is really nice on Yamaha DX synths. It takes the sharp glassy edge off chord stabs. I feel like I got my $120's worth.

A little tip for folks wanting digital delay times with an analogue delay sound is to run an analogue delay and a digital delay in series and set the analogue delay to zero delay, and a single repeat. Basically, you get the warm/dark/murky color of the analogue delay and the repeat/control of digital.

Another trick is to run parallel delay lines on a 4 aux send mixer and have the analogue delay line send signal to the digital delay line on another aux channel. It gets fun when you route the returns into proper channel strips. That gives a similar effect, but you now have the ability to mess with volume, level of the send into the digital delay, modulation effects from the other two aux sends and eq on both returns.

I am kind of hitting the point where I don't really care about synths anymore and I just want a better mixer and a lot of effects.
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I think the Akai you mentioned is made by Biyang!
Yeah, Akai just repainted the Biyang pedals and doubled the price: Wanna See Some Bull****? | analogindustries.com
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

I just realized that my delay pedal is manufactured by Biyang. It is the DL3. It only has 600 ms of delay time so it may be analog. I tried doing some research but nothing came up. Still sounds decent, though. Weird thing is that this model isn't even listed on their site.
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd steer clear of the behringer. I have their digital delay, dd400. Works nicely, even has an unadvertised tap tempo. But it's sooo noisy. The box is plastic and it shows. Maybe the vd400 is a completely different beast, but in my opinion it's the plastic box. Though I only used it with guitars, maybe it gets better if you have something with a hotter signal.

As for the routing, I don't think a delay box will be too fussy about the impedance or level for that matter.

I don't know what your budget or your workflow is, but saving up for a tape machine and use plug ins in the meantime might be a good idea.
Old 15th October 2012
Tape delay is NOT good for those on a budget! You will buy one, and immediately you will have to send it to the tech for at least an adjustment... You may find that the rollers and capstan are doing bad things to your 30-year-old tape in the unit... Buying new tape is expensive. IF you know how to tech(I mean for real) then it can be cheaper... Yes, tape delay sounds amazing....the slowly building modulated noise, slowly decaying fidelity of the signal.... The incredible chordal/rhythmic mush that's possible.

But they are heavy, fragile, expensive, and finnicky... Not always the holy grail we think that they are either!

Either way, best of luck getting the unit(s) you need!!!
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear
Digging up an old thread here but wanted to know if you tried out the Biyang AD10

Some newer stuff to the market now (NU-X brand). This one can be had for just over 30 pounds. Not analogue but thought i would post as its a looper as well.
Consensus is that the delays are a bit too similar but its bang for the buck

Nux "Time Force" bargain delay pedal (and looper) ~ | GuitarNutz 2

Any new nuggets in the last couple of years…please post.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Maniac
it's not an analog delay, it's very noisy, but a korg monotron delay is a wonderful thing with guitar - also, old rack fx, even if they are digital are so cheap these days that you might as well

i find it very hard to resist getting used pedals that are less than 30 bucks - they might do a lot of things poorly or half-assed, but there's always at least one thing they do that just isn't right but is odd enough to be worthy
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

Looked for the same thing and just ordered a Mooer Ana Echo off eBay for $55. Will report back. I want to get two for true stereo analog delay.
Old 6th November 2014
Just a follow-up on a couple of the pedals mentioned in this thread:

My go-to BBD delay is the Malekko Ekko 616 Dark. It's has an awesome tone, external modulation controls, and plenty of delay time. The Dark model rolls off the highs on the repeats, which is a sound I love, but some may prefer the regular 616 model. They also have a "lofi" version that is designed to be dirtier and less predictable.

I also have two of the Behringer VD400 pedals, because they're so cheap and sound better than they should for the price, especially after playing with the trimpots inside. At around $20, it's a no brainer to have one around just for some noise self-oscillating fun, if nothing else.
Old 8th November 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Digging up an old thread here but wanted to know if you tried out the Biyang AD10

Some newer stuff to the market now (NU-X brand). This one can be had for just over 30 pounds. Not analogue but thought i would post as its a looper as well.
Consensus is that the delays are a bit too similar but its bang for the buck

Nux "Time Force" bargain delay pedal (and looper) ~ | GuitarNutz 2

Any new nuggets in the last couple of years…please post.
I just pick one of these up on eBay for 55 bucks. I was looking for a looper and this thing seems like a hell of a deal. Thanks for mentioning it
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

So I got the Ana Echo and paired it with my Tetr4. It sounds pretty lofi. Dirty, noisy, way rolled off highs, pretty short echo time. I like it a lot. Definitely a lot of character (almost caricature). I haven't really tried the other delays cited here and I've never owned a DM-2 (rumors this is a clone) but I highly recommend the Ana Echo for the purposes of this thread. When I get a second one I'll demo it here. I figure about $110 for true stereo analog delay is a good cheapy lofi addition (for reference I currently own a DL4, Echo Park, Biscuit {8bit digital delay}, older 3008 based DMM, and RE301).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search